`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why buy boxes

Why buy boxes
I usually am a little lazy and don't reply to threads much and just enjoy reading what others write so do get offended if I don't reply.

My question for the masses is:
Why do you buy boxes?

To elaborate a little; When buying boxes are you looking to complete a set?, get a huge hit?, hit a PC card of your true PC player?, just addicted to wax?, or to show off what you got?

I just bought a box of 2015 Heritage that I didn't post in the break thread. There wasn't any great hits but that's not why I didn't post. I simply bought the box to break with my kids and to fill my set.

If you are a buy to get a monster hit type, does it really matter what product you buy? I understand cost is really what determines a lot of purchases but do you just buy high end hoping for that killer hit?

I guess this is more of a are you a flipper or a collector type of thread/question.

RE: Why buy boxes
I don't buy boxes anymore. Too many junk $10 autographs and $6 relics...it's just not worth it. I get just as much excitement when a Carpenter pops up for sale that I need than opening packs and getting nothing. I like the thrill of opening packs, but I haven't pulled a card that books for over $50 for I don't know how many years....just seems like a waste to me.

Only boxes I open are a few blasters now and again for the reasons slufan83 mentioned. Also, for example, I do the base Topps set every year. Hobby boxes are usually $65 at my LCS. However, I can buy both a Series 1 and 2 set for $50 total online. So, I don't get the thrill of opening 2 boxes, but I get the set for a little over a 1/3 of what the boxes would sell for. Easy peasy.

A buddy of mine and I splurge for a case of Topps Heritage every year. That's really the only boxes I bust. Even though I'm contradicting myself a little by putting the set together by busting the case (we both do the complete sets with SP's and inserts) it's the nostalgia of Heritage and its feel, etc. of old time collecting.

@MADAMSON do you have any extra SP's? I am in need of some

Just a few...probably only 5 or so. U have a list of what you need?

(08-03-2015, 08:48 AM)yankees_pride Wrote: I usually am a little lazy and don't reply to threads much and just enjoy reading what others write so do get offended if I don't reply.

My question for the masses is:
Why do you buy boxes?
I don't buy boxes. I've only ever bought 1 box of 1990 Bowman & 1 box of 1991 Fleer. And several packs of 1990 Upper Deck.

IF you think I'm kidding, I'm not. I'm dead serious.

*EDIT I forgot to mention, this was back in 1991 when I bought these.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

The thrill of the chase, man. I love opening a box and finding a sweet PC hit or something I know I can trade to grab a nice PC card.

Also, opening a box is a lot similar to gambling: Sometimes the stakes are high and the results can be dismal, but the rush you get when you hit it big will always bring you back to belly up to the table and buy in again.
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

I love busting boxes. Can't get enough of it. I go for high end just because I love the hits, the potential value, and the feeling of being excited like when I was a little kid. I love the monster hits and I love that they are much more abundant/easier to pull in high end boxes.

I love opening boxes. perhaps a chance to get a card I never would justify buying, perhaps to open my horizons and break me out of my Yankees Comfort Zone Smile
buying boxes was great when I once loved building sets & collating the cards, but lately I have no patience for that. Sad
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The last 5 months or so I've gone hog wild on buying boxes. I've realized though, the price to reward ratio, well, it sucks! heh So time for me to back way off on buying boxes and stick to trades and single purchases.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]