`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Michael Jordan Rookie Card Authenticity Help

Michael Jordan Rookie Card Authenticity Help
I am about to pay for this Michael Jordan Rookie and want to know if it's authentic. I've read about some things that should be present but I just want some second opinions.

Is it authentic?

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 12.24.37 PM_zpst9diayfv.png

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 12.24.50 PM_zps95dfesq0.png
 photo banner_zpsbab74229.jpg

RE: Michael Jordan Rookie Card Authenticity Help
(08-02-2015, 11:33 AM)mancitylover111 Wrote: I am about to pay for this Michael Jordan Rookie and want to know if it's authentic. I've read about some things that should be present but I just want some second opinions.

Is it authentic?

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 12.24.37 PM_zpst9diayfv.png

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 12.24.50 PM_zps95dfesq0.png
From the pictures it looks ok to me. Do you have any Bulls cards from the set to use for comparing? Do the colors and borders look sharp?

Here is mine from the front.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=10751]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

its so hard to tell from scans but the coloring from the fleer banner looks off.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

Follow this step by step and you can buy with confidence:

http://bbcemporium.com/1986-fleer-michea...eit-guide/

(08-03-2015, 11:43 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: its so hard to tell from scans but the coloring from the fleer banner looks off.
The colors looked a but off, but I figured that could have been the scans. The feel of the card stock can tell you a lot, and sometimes even the smell.Smile

It's fake!
The banner is off, just compare it with the graded one. The picture clarity looks horrible, very foggy and fuzzy, it should be clear (like the graded one). Also, on counterfeits the lettering like in mj's name are kind of choppy, blurry and very pixelated just like the picture is. It should be clear and crisp looking.
The back Actually looks right on with the decimal point in "27.2" being present along with the Bulls eyes being clear. But I would stay away from this one going off the pic provided.

(08-03-2015, 11:06 PM)altz11 Wrote: It's fake!
The banner is off, just compare it with the graded one. The picture clarity looks horrible, very foggy and fuzzy, it should be clear (like the graded one). Also, on counterfeits the lettering like in mj's name are kind of choppy, blurry and very pixelated just like the picture is. It should be clear and crisp looking.
The back Actually looks right on with the decimal point in "27.2" being present along with the Bulls eyes being clear. But I would stay away from this one going off the pic provided.
Those two items alone are not 100% tell-tale signs of a fake in-terms of the back. I've seen fakes with both of those being good under magnification.

The true test on the back is the following:

1. Registration marks being 100% clear under magnification. If they aren't clear, it's fake.

2. Line across the top of the Bull's head. If it's not a 100% solid, bold line all the way across, it's fake.

3. Ball in the lower right hand corner. If you can't make out lines inside of the ball (seams of a basketball) and it looks 100% solid ink, it's fake. This is the hardest one to see, but with a good loupe (10x or better) you should be able to see it just fine.

Really the best thing to do is have an Orlando Woolridge single with you so you can compare the two as the colors and features will be the same on both cards.

Also, I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a digital caliper so that you can measure the cards to make sure they haven't been trimmed. I've run into that once with a card that had already been graded, but not by BGS or PSA and it came back as trimmed. It looked like I had a 9 or 9.5 on my hands and needless to say I was quite disappointed when it came back as Authentic - Altered. I still got $500 for it, but that's pretty much tops for one in that condition. That's also why I won't pay more than $500 for one and tend to stay in the $400-$450 or less range for raw Jordan RC's.

(08-03-2015, 11:43 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: its so hard to tell from scans but the coloring from the fleer banner looks off.
Now that I'm using a computer instead of my phone I don't seem to see the "orange" color in that little "arrow" in the banner.