Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Super Collector Cross Roads
07-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Super Collector Cross Roads
I'm in a pretty big cross roads in my PC. I only collect Brian Hartline (most of you know but just incase) cards and some other memorabilia. I am on record of stating that I never started my PC with intent to turnover and sell or to make gain from it. I truly enjoy the hobby and the chase for cards. I picked Hartline b/c I went to the same HS as him (GLEN OAK) in Canton, Ohio. I bought a pack of 2009 score and got his card and thought it was pretty cool and the rest is history.

For 4 years I vigorously looked and searched every day for new cards and new chasers to acquire. It was truly a passion and an addiction to hold a card I really wanted or needed for a rainbow. I spent $1000s on the 600+ cards and 55 1/1s that I have. Not to mention the 300+ magnetics and other storage items needed to keep my PC pristine

I started having these thoughts last year when Hartline, coming off 2 straight 1000 yard seasons quite didn't fit the system of the new OC (please no bs on how he sucks and didn't get open and lost speed) plain and simple, he had half the targets, hence half the yards. Look it up if you don't believe me. I don't fault the dolphins bc Laundry is a great WR and a fraction of the $$. So after slipping to 4 even 5 on depth, they cut him and Browns pick him up.

After the Brown signed him, I though a career resurgence was due, but really looking at, there isn't nobody to throw him the ball, and he's probably not starting either. So my moral is for someone who has seemingly done nothing for a year and a half, his prices for cards are STILL ridiculous. When he was growing and producing I saw the reasoning for Spending OBjr and Manning prices. But now, there is no reason how he has any card over 100-150$.

I haven't folded yet, but I've bought only a couple 1/1s this year and the PC is stale at this point, I know the money and time it takes to start a new one so that is never an option, I know people hold onto those cards bc of the one person who collects them to cave and buy, but with what I stated above, I'm over that part of the hobby..so I'm stuck with just sitting on the cards and hope a year or 2 his stuff will fall or his career picks up. Or I cut the chord on my heartache and start a new hobby..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
RE: Super Collector Cross Roads
That sucks that he's fallen into such a hole...and got sent to the doghouse Tongue He always seemed to be underrated and underused to me. He never really had anyone in Mia to throw to him either, until Tannehill, and then they had to force the ball to Wallace to keep him happy (that worked well!). The good news for him in Cleveland is...there really isn't anyone to catch passes either lol. Bowe is washed up, and a possession guy at best. I can't even remember the names of any of their other guys. As long as they don't cut him, he could have some opportunity.
I wouldn't give up on your PC, not after all the money and work you put into it. Sellers are always looking to make more than fair value, usually just out of greed. His prices should eventually come down, and BIN stuff hits auction. People are treating Franklin the same way. I've angered a lot of sellers by offering them $25 on a card they have listed at $100 plus, but that's the real value of the card. I just sit back and wait, and eventually, they usually drop to a reasonable price.
Maybe you could look at doing some rainbows of another player that catches your eye? Would keep a little fresh air coming in, and give you something to have fun with while you wait on those Hartlines to become more reasonable and available. Just a thought Smile

Packers:Rodgers, Favre, Nelson, auto's sets
SC: Jared Abbrederis, Vontaze Burfict
SB MVPs
Chasers:
Lynch Gold Refractor Topps Chrome 2012
M. Ball & M. Gordon State Pride autos
A. Rodgers Chrome blue 2006
FT: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/savagenate/a/for-trade
07-25-2015, 11:08 AM
I'd say hold on until at least training camp. Looking at the Browns roster, Hartline is still at the very least the No. 3 WR behind Bwayne Bowe and Travis Benjamin. But you have to think those guys are more wideouts than Hartline, who despite being 6'2" might be relegated to the slot where the less-than-strong armed QB Josh McCown may find better use of him.

That's just my 2 cents.

[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Forrest Gregg
2. JJ Watt (Wisconsin Uni)
3. Jim Ringo
4. Crazylegs Hirsch
5. Ray Nitschke
07-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm from Cleveland. I believe he will start and be relevant. True the browns don't have
much at qb but they will have to throw some and if he gets open any professional qb should
be able to complete passes. He should definitely be the number 1 guy. Keep your chin up
and you might be surprised. I could see him catching 65 with 900 yds and 6 tds. That would
be pretty good and maybe the browns will improve and hes not that old. Also, I believe his
cards will come down so don't get to be in to big of a hurry to abandon your guy. good luck
07-26-2015, 04:53 PM
(07-25-2015 02:35 PM)fatman711 Wrote:  I'm from Cleveland. I believe he will start and be relevant. True the browns don't have
much at qb but they will have to throw some and if he gets open any professional qb should
be able to complete passes. He should definitely be the number 1 guy. Keep your chin up
and you might be surprised. I could see him catching 65 with 900 yds and 6 tds. That would
be pretty good and maybe the browns will improve and hes not that old. Also, I believe his
cards will come down so don't get to be in to big of a hurry to abandon your guy. good luck

Any word on who the QB will be? One day I hear McCown, the next Manziel...

Packers:Rodgers, Favre, Nelson, auto's sets
SC: Jared Abbrederis, Vontaze Burfict
SB MVPs
Chasers:
Lynch Gold Refractor Topps Chrome 2012
M. Ball & M. Gordon State Pride autos
A. Rodgers Chrome blue 2006
FT: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/savagenate/a/for-trade
07-26-2015, 07:06 PM
McCown is starting the year, after he goes 1-3, Manziel will start, after he gets hurt around a 1-6 record, Shaw will play the remainder.
07-27-2015, 12:38 PM
I have run into this with several former UF players I have collected. I find that it helps to have a tie to the player (i.e. same school) that makes them fun to collect regardless of their current on the field performance. Think of the upside of him not being a #1 receiver or on a big market team means that he will have less new product to chase and while his cards might maintain a high asking price for a while, they will eventually come down. Sellers usually hold out hope that a player will have a break-out season so they don't want to sell low. However once a player retires, especially wide receivers and running backs, the prices seem to drop considerably as sellers know that the interest will fade quickly. There are a few exceptions for HOF players, but I don't think you have to worry about that with Hartline. Keep in mind modern football cards are some of the most volatile long term investments, since they almost always peak in value during a players career and then interest and resale values slowly drop after that.

[Image: djohn-1.jpg]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 291/419
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/