`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much to spend on a card? (Updated 8/22)

RE: How much to spend on a card? (Updated 8/22)
Just buy it if you have the extra money & the card/player has some kind of special value to you then just do it.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

He held it for you. That may involve honoring and obligation, depending on your relationship.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I want to tell you I have spent a little over $3,000.00 for a card and wished I bought a card for $6,000.00 when I had the chance. I have probably spent more on cards than most here and most of the Jeter's on my want list will cost over $160.00 so I guess it just depends on how badly you want the card or not. I guess that's why I have limited myself to his 90's collection as well. How ever you decide to buy it or not I am sure if you don't buy it on the next show he will sell to someone else.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

RE: How much to spend on a card?
(07-19-2015, 09:03 AM)djohn Wrote: I agree with others regarding the verbal agreement and asking him to continue holding it for you means you committed to buying it. I also wouldn't try to negotiate now, as you already agreed on the price and asked him to hold it at that price. If you wanted to pay less, then you should've negotiated before asking him to hold it for another month (or however long until the next show). If you are going to back out of the deal, then hopefully you have his contact info and can let him know before the next show, so that he doesn't have to continue to hold it for you.
If you are still debating about what to do, put yourself in the seller's shoes and think about how you would react if you held a card for someone; then when you showed it to them they said they were interested at $160; asked you to hold it a little longer so they could get the money together; then after holding it for a while longer they decided they no longer wanted the card.
I think djohn (and others who have posted similar comments) has it right. If you wanted to negotiate a lower price, you should have done that up front. If he has been gracious enough to hold the card for you twice now, then it would be in bad form to back out or ask him to cut the price after he has essentially done you a solid, not once but twice. I see you updated your thread and it sounds like you are gonna follow through with your deal. Good for you. Enjoy the card when you get it!

Yes, I understand that since I asked him to hold it and he said yes that was practically binding the transaction. I totally agree with everyone as well. My update from last week was that he DOES still have the card and I am currently trying to get with him on a date/time to purchase it. That's pretty much where I am at now. I had been in contact with him earlier this week and haven't heard from him all week, so I just sent him another email asking what would be convenient for arranging something soon. I don't want to sound like I'm being too eager or anxious about buying the card, but I can't keep waiting around either, especially when I can use the money on something else.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Ok, just heard back from him today. Looks like I will be getting with him after this weekend to get that Chipper auto. This will be a huge addition to my PC and will be sure to post a scan once I have it.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

The Most I ever paid for a card was 1,100$ for this one
[Image: 500HRAUTO.jpg]
(08-22-2015, 09:38 PM)Nintari Wrote: I only spend that kind of money when I'm 100% sure that my investment is going to appreciate in value.
Nah Huh.........

[Image: 1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel022_zps65c3b716.jpg]
[Image: 1997%20topps%20Mit%201998%20Stars%20and%...zmgwdi.jpg]
[Image: sades.jpg]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mnbamboozled/grif
feys/]My Griffeys[/url]