`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Memorabilia sets history

Memorabilia sets history
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which was the first set that included jersey cards and which one was the first to focus solely on patches.
If there's not a clear first, I would at least like to know at what year the first ones were released.
Pictures are always a plus.
Thank you.

RE: Memorabilia sets history
The first memorabilia cards were in racing. In terms of basketball Upper Deck introduced the jersey card in 1997-98.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

If you want to go with the first memorabilia cards in Basketball you have to go back to 1996-97 SP with the game-film cards. First jersey cards in NBA basketball were in 1997-98 Upper Deck. I think there may have been a collegiate set as early as 1996 with jersey cards, though.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(07-07-2015, 02:59 PM)taffster74 Wrote: If you want to go with the first memorabilia cards in Basketball you have to go back to 1996-97 SP with the game-film cards. First jersey cards in NBA basketball were in 1997-98 Upper Deck. I think there may have been a collegiate set as early as 1996 with jersey cards, though.
So this is would be the first memorabilia set?
[Image: Shawn-Kemp.jpg?id=e8e5a48d-e988-4603-be7...e=original]

And this the first jersey card set?
[Image: Glenn-Robinson.jpg?id=c87267e7-0f28-4b09...e=original]

They are both beautiful. Makes you miss UD a little bit doesn't it?
What would you say was the first patch set?

The Game Film is just the design of the card. Its not actually any memorabilia. 1996 Press Pass had Jersey cards in it.

As far as patch, I'm not sure if there was an official first Patch/"Prime" only set but I do believe I've seen in some of these jersey cards that there were pieces of patch on some. 2000-01 Ultimate Collection Game Jersey Patch Collection may have been the 1st one I see but not sure if it was the 1st.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

CrimeDawg, i would argue that the Game film is - technically a memorabilia set as the film pieces in it are actually pieces of game film. whether its photo or video - who knows (more than likely camera).

I think 1998-99 or 199-00 Upper deck started releasing patches at rediculous odds (1;10000).

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(07-09-2015, 12:40 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: The Game Film is just the design of the card. Its not actually any memorabilia. 1996 Press Pass had Jersey cards in it.
I totally forgot about the Press Pass cards, as I was thinking first NBA game used. I agree that the Game Film cards aren't really game used memorabilia. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were just printed to look like film strips and not really actual film strips. It would be easy to tell just by looking at a few of the same player, as if they were actual film than the pictures would be slightly different on each card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(07-10-2015, 07:24 AM)djohn Wrote: I totally forgot about the Press Pass cards, as I was thinking first NBA game used. I agree that the Game Film cards aren't really game used memorabilia. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were just printed to look like film strips and not really actual film strips. It would be easy to tell just by looking at a few of the same player, as if they were actual film than the pictures would be slightly different on each card.
You are correct in your assumption. Every single strip of "game film" is the exact same picture. Which is why I stated that's just the card design. There are 4 copies of the jordan on ebay currently and all 4 have the exact same photos on both pieces of "film".
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65