`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone have a 90's beckett laying around?

RE: Anyone have a 90's beckett laying around?
(06-28-2015, 09:45 PM)sesfan01 Wrote: I wish I still had all my old Beckett mags. Used to have every issue from around 94-2002. Pretty sure the Martinez was not considered a RC. I think his only rookie card was from 91 upper deck final edition. And to back up another post from earlier, the Thomas and Piazza cards you are asking about are NOT considered RCs.
I absolutely know they ARE not... I was wondering if the WERE not.

Again, my 10 year old self was probably confused. They wrote "rookie" on everything back then...

(06-28-2015, 09:05 PM)redsoxfan1534 Wrote: Holy crap Dom! I just looked up that thread and I freakin' laughed my head off! Strong swimmers in the mattress lolololololol. You my friend, between the Star Wars McFarlane's, Trollx8, and that are quickly becoming a legend in my book. Thank you.
That guy was a complete terd... and it was well earned. Of course it bummed me out that I wasn't right. But oh well, what can you do.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(06-28-2015, 09:50 PM)petillo64 Wrote: I absolutely know they ARE not... I was wondering if the WERE not.

Again, my 10 year old self was probably confused. They wrote "rookie" on everything back then...

ok cool then. I know, I used to get excited when I saw "rookie" on a Jeter from 95 and 96
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

(06-28-2015, 05:57 PM)petillo64 Wrote: I was just genuinely curious. I remember there was some funky change that had happened. I could have sworn that a players 1st release in a brand was considered a "RC" for a number of years... Figured there was not better place to ask someone to look up an old issue of Beckett, than Beckett.
You are correct in that Beckett used to have other classifications for "rookie" cards. For example, FTC (First Topps Card), FDC (First Donruss Card), and FFC (First Fleer Card) were all used when a player had a rookie in another brand from an earlier year (i.e. 1987 Donruss and Fleer Mark McGwire cards were FDC and FFC, due to his 1985 Topps card). However there were not that many cards needing this classifier and by the early 90s this once listed classification in Beckett was completely removed. I seem to remember the 1992 Pedro Martinez cards being listed as RCs at some point as his only 1991 card was in 1991 Upper Deck Final Update, and that one was a XRC. However back in the early 90s the Martinez everyone wanted was Ramon Martinez.
The 1991 Stadium Club Frank Thomas was never considered a rookie card, however it was highly desirable as were a lot of the other 1991 Stadium Club cards back in the early 90s. I remember people happily paying $10+ for 1991 Stadium Club Nolan Ryan (tuxedo) cards. Back then people were desperately seeking cool and unique looking cards, and Stadium Club definitely delivered.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(06-29-2015, 07:21 AM)djohn Wrote: The 1991 Stadium Club Frank Thomas was never considered a rookie card, however it was highly desirable as were a lot of the other 1991 Stadium Club cards back in the early 90s. I remember people happily paying $10+ for 1991 Stadium Club Nolan Ryan (tuxedo) cards. Back then people were desperately seeking cool and unique looking cards, and Stadium Club definitely delivered.
I dropped a bunch of money on 1991 Stadium Club because as you said Stadium Club delivered back then. Better and different photos and a better quality of actual card stock. If I remember correctly the 3 big cards were Frank Thomas, Griffey Jr, and the Nolan Ryan Tuxedo card

I have a 1991 or 1992 Beckett (the one with Canseco on the front) that I can check when I get home.

But I remember the FTC, FDR, FFC, etc., and I also remember Pedro's card being a RC since he had an XRC in 1991 Final Edition. But I will can double check all of those.

As for 1991 Stadium Club, the Ryan Tuxedo card is one of the cooler Ryans I have of the 1,200+ different cards I have. Another is the 1989 UD where he's throwing the football. Ah, the old days.

(06-29-2015, 08:57 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I have a 1991 or 1992 Beckett (the one with Canseco on the front) that I can check when I get home.

But I remember the FTC, FDR, FFC, etc., and I also remember Pedro's card being a RC since he had an XRC in 1991 Final Edition. But I will can double check all of those.

As for 1991 Stadium Club, the Ryan Tuxedo card is one of the cooler Ryans I have of the 1,200+ different cards I have. Another is the 1989 UD where he's throwing the football. Ah, the old days.
Cool. Checking and relaying any denotation next to it would be awesome. I remember something being funky, and it drives me nuts that I can't check lol.

Something I've been doing very casually, is going back and picking up all the cards I liked as a kid in BGS Quad 9.5 form. So far, I only have the '90 Fleer frank Thomas, an '88 topps McGwire, and an '87 Donruss Barry Bonds. '91 Stadium club Frank Thomas was actually on my top 5 list along with the '90 reverse negative Juan-Gone, '90 Score 2-sport Bo Jackson etc...
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

The earliest issue that I still have is December 1992. In that issue the Frank Thomas is not listed as RC and the card was $30 BV. The Pedro was not either and the card was $0.75.

The 1993 Ultra first appeared in the May 1993 issue and Piazza was not listed as RC and the card was $1.75.

I checked and my beckett is from 1990. Sorry I wasn't of any help. On a related note, the Frank Thomas Leaf RC booked for $3 in that publication and was outbooked by the Dave Justice RC ($3.50). I know people use ebay and other places to price cards mainly, but it's still neat to look at the old prices, even though they don't mean anything now a days.

I have my old Becketts dating back to the late 80s and it's even crazier to look at the value of some of the vintage cards and how much some of them have changed over the years.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Boy do I wish the 93 Piazzas were considered rookies, have a brick of them. Now I'm going to have to dig out my old Becketts for funsies...
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile