`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously...how lazy is Topps?

Seriously...how lazy is Topps?
Ok..maybe that was a little harsh. But what bugs me to no end is that the SINGLE company that can produce MLBPA approved cards can't put out cards that have players in their current uniforms.

2015 Stadium Club just released...Craig Kimbrel in a Braves uniform. Now, don't get me wrong, if this was Topps Series 1 I would understand as that was released well before Kimbrel was traded. But, come on....between that and reusing poses previously used on cards is a joke. I seriously think that if/when Panini gets a license, Topps will be in the hurt bag. Not just because of the pictures, etc. but just the overall product. I'm done venting...maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm not. Carry on.

Happy Collecting!

Mark

RE: Seriously...how lazy is Topps?
Topps isn't the only company approved by the MLBPA.

(06-25-2015, 07:56 PM)madamson Wrote: Ok..maybe that was a little harsh. But what bugs me to no end is that the SINGLE company that can produce MLBPA approved cards can't put out cards that have players in their current uniforms.

2015 Stadium Club just released...Craig Kimbrel in a Braves uniform. Now, don't get me wrong, if this was Topps Series 1 I would understand as that was released well before Kimbrel was traded. But, come on....between that and reusing poses previously used on cards is a joke. I seriously think that if/when Panini gets a license, Topps will be in the hurt bag. Not just because of the pictures, etc. but just the overall product. I'm done venting...maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm not. Carry on.

Happy Collecting!

Mark
Personally, I like it. In the grand scheme of things we're still early in the season. The fact that they didn't get a picture of him in the new uniform or airbrush him into means they actually put some time and authenticity into the set.

I bought a blaster of this today and I can't see much not to like about it. Awesome photography, full-bleed design, much thicker card stock than last year. I don't typically buy hobby boxes, but I might get some of this this year.
Kepler

(06-25-2015, 08:31 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Topps isn't the only company approved by the MLBPA.
Only one allowed to use logos.....my bad.

(06-25-2015, 08:39 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Personally, I like it. In the grand scheme of things we're still early in the season. The fact that they didn't get a picture of him in the new uniform or airbrush him into means they actually put some time and authenticity into the set.

I bought a blaster of this today and I can't see much not to like about it. Awesome photography, full-bleed design, much thicker card stock than last year. I don't typically buy hobby boxes, but I might get some of this this year.
Really?! Everyone has a right to their opinion, but adds authenticity?! Stadium Club may be better improved, but the autos I have seen are second grade, Tier One was Tier Five, IMO Topps is pumping out a bunch of cards I don't need. I already have storage issues, I don't need more, because what I get is mostly not going in my books. Tired of people defending Topps...

(06-25-2015, 09:48 PM)wickercat Wrote: Really?! Everyone has a right to their opinion, but adds authenticity?! Stadium Club may be better improved, but the autos I have seen are second grade, Tier One was Tier Five, IMO Topps is pumping out a bunch of cards I don't need. I already have storage issues, I don't need more, because what I get is mostly not going in my books. Tired of people defending Topps...
Sorry my opinion differs from yours. But I've been pretty critical of Topps. And just recently.

Weren't you leaving Beckett just the other day? What happened to that plan?

Seriously, the negativity of some of the people on this site is just ridiculous. If everything sucks, then get out of the hobby. Good God.
Kepler

(06-25-2015, 09:48 PM)wickercat Wrote: Really?! Everyone has a right to their opinion, but adds authenticity?! Stadium Club may be better improved, but the autos I have seen are second grade, Tier One was Tier Five, IMO Topps is pumping out a bunch of cards I don't need. I already have storage issues, I don't need more, because what I get is mostly not going in my books. Tired of people defending Topps...
I must agree with your points about Topps. My only question is; why don't you write, call, or email Topps themselves and complain??? It's going to take everyone here who doesn't like what Topps is doing and complain directly to them. If they start getting a pile of mail, a whole lot of emails on their server, and a bunch of phone calls, maybe they'd get the point. How do you think people get the word out to Congress about something? I bet since I've been able to vote (a long time now) I get mail every year, and emails more often that if I don't like what such and such Congressman is doing, to please sign the online petition, or they say, use this form letter form and write, or call etc. etc. I know because I was in the business there is lead time to get things printed. But complain to them directly.

I just thought of something else. Be prepared, especially if your calling and talking to someone who can do something about it, what your specific criticisms are. Don't just say the design is ugly, say what portion of the design is ugly. Good way to do this, if you know someone good at art and drawing, is to send them examples. Grab a common (you know, some play who only pinch hits about 25 times a year) and put arrows on the card to show them. I've noticed in my jobs that something concrete will help out 1000 times more than just ranting about the ugly cards. Or whatever you complaint is.

It's just like Beckett!!! I truly believe Beckett is going to go downhill if they don't start getting problems fixed with the registry, with everything. I've complain here, and I've called them a bunch of times too. But it takes a CONCERTED effort.

Thanks, I'm finished now!! I just get tired of seeing all the posts complaining about Topps. Let's do something about it.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(06-25-2015, 11:47 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Sorry my opinion differs from yours. But I've been pretty critical of Topps. And just recently.

Weren't you leaving Beckett just the other day? What happened to that plan?

Seriously, the negativity of some of the people on this site is just ridiculous. If everything sucks, then get out of the hobby. Good God.
+100000000000000000000000000000000
(06-25-2015, 09:42 PM)madamson Wrote: Only one allowed to use logos.....my bad.
It's cool. The MLBPA has given panini the right to use the player's likenesse as well as Topps. It's the mother ship (the MLB) who is only issuing one license to use the MLB and team logo's. The player's association doesn't have that authority.

(06-26-2015, 05:07 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: +100000000000000000000000000000000

It's cool. The MLBPA has given panini the right to use the player's likenesse as well as Topps. It's the mother ship (the MLB) who is only issuing one license to use the MLB and team logo's. The player's association doesn't have that authority.
Question time....can Panini produce Minor League Cards with logos, or does the MLB license include all affiliated minor league teams? If the MLB license covers minor league affiliates affiliated, could they produce logo cards of independent minor league teams? Not looking for these products to be produced, but actually curious how much the mlb license covers.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(06-26-2015, 08:42 AM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Question time....can Panini produce Minor League Cards with logos, or does the MLB license include all affiliated minor league teams? If the MLB license covers minor league affiliates affiliated, could they produce logo cards of independent minor league teams? Not looking for these products to be produced, but actually curious how much the mlb license covers.
I would imagine that MLB and MiLB have some sort of agreement that covers not only the MLB team, but its minor league affiliates as well. Mainly because a lot of the minor league teams take on logos, color schemes, etc. that are similar to the parent club. Although I could be wrong about that.

I'd imagine independent teams would have the freedom to contract with whomever they like or with whatever company/companies their league allows.

Those are just guesses though.
Kepler