`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting vintage boxes help

Collecting vintage boxes help
I was looking get into buying vintage wax boxes through BBCE but I'm confused on terms and differences. What does X out on wax box mean and why are some stuff in different boxes ( 1980 wax cards in 1979 wax box)? Any tips on this side of the hobby would be great.

RE: Collecting vintage boxes help
The "X" out means that there is a black "X" marked on the box. Why it is there I really don't know. You can see some of these on the bay. Could it mean "overstock" or something along those lines?

It goes back to when retailers could send stock back to Topps and that is what Topps did to the boxes as they came back.
Mostly football and a set builder

So are X out boxes filled with packs that didn't sell and where sent back and Topps put them all back into a new box? If that's so then the odds that X out boxes might have packs that were searched and placed back are higher than non X out boxes. Just so hard to find a supplier to trust with vintage wax since they could be searched and put back together.

No, that was not an issue back then. It is now however as I have seen packs resealed and boxes with no stars in them, so yes, finding a supplier is a VERY big deal in vintage wax. Understand also that having the box shrink wrapped does not mean anything as Topps did not do that back then, so if you see that the seller or someone has done that which is fine but does not mean the box has not been searched. I have bought from sellers with the understanding that if no stars we would have to talk about a refund. Fortunately the sellers who agreed all had good stuff. That said, I still prefer to buy vintage wax in person as one can really get a good feel of the packs that way, either too tight or too loose. Also look for torn edges and melted wax where it should not be. I hope this helps and good luck!!
Mostly football and a set builder

I think BBCE is awesome. Just ask your question directly to them....you'll get an honest reply as to what is or isn't in the box and I trust them completely when it comes to unopened packs. Not that my endorsement means anything.....LOL.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.