`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Anyone else underwhelmed by Finest and Archives?

Anyone else underwhelmed by Finest and Archives?
Some of you may know, but I absolutely love the Panini brands this year. I was looking forward to some nice Topps breaks and I busted a box of Finest and Archives...very underwhelmed by both. The price point is too high for these types of boxes. Panini's price points and secondary market is much better. Anyone agree this year?

RE: Anyone else underwhelmed by Finest and Archives?
I agree, but I feel like it is nothing new. Topps has always been the because-I-feel-the-need-to-open-something brand. Panini is a lot of fun. As far as resale goes, Topps always will have the upper hand. Don't ask why.

Why?.?.?. The answer is LOGOs. Panini would sell like crazy if they had MLB licensing.

As far as finest goes it looks like Topps has one main idea and only tweaks it a little bit throughout the different products. Finest looks like bowman chrome this year.

I am hoping that Panini doesn't change once they get the MLB approval back. Topps just looks bad compared to Panini this year

I personally don't care about the lack of logos, so I don't even think about it. But I realize I am in the vast minority on this.

(06-13-2015, 11:03 AM)jonmspcollector Wrote: I am hoping that Panini doesn't change once they get the MLB approval back. Topps just looks bad compared to Panini this year
Well their taking over football from topps from what I hear so hopefully mlb will wake up and realize that Panini is creating, in my opinion, fresh and much better quality stuff for baseball then topps. Not to mention the fact that their product is actually affordable for people that can't afford to spend a ton of money on the hobby. This monopoly topps has is B.S. I've personally always been underwhelmed by topps as a whole. With the exception of tribute, chrome, some inserts, and triple threads, I cant stand most of their stuff. Archives, heritage, their flagship set, update, series 1 & 2, and opening day are all underwhelming to me
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

Yeah if they had mlb logos they would be unstoppable
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Panini's secondary market is extremely weak in comparison. I'm not sure where you are getting the idea otherwise. Some diamond kinds issues were hot at release (by panini standards), but topps takes the cake secondary-wise. Just compare prices on comparable rookie autos and it's pretty clear.

I am a panini fan all the way though! 2013 select was one of my favorite products of all-time!!! Then '14 prizm came out which was almost as awesome. I have NEVER broken a panini product and not had fun. Sometimes I've been hosed on value, but it was still an awesome time.

I cannot/have never been able to stand topps/bowman base releases, very dull/boring for me. Even if I hit a nice chrome auto, I have never truly gotten pumped. I love '15 finest though. Great look/feel to the cards, and the inserts are pretty nice looking with the color popping on the parallels. '13/'14 finest were two of my least favorite sets ever released and are right up there with the horrendous old school sets like '91 fleer in ugly-factor.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

I agree with the OP, neither looks great to me. I grabbed a couple Blasters of Archive at Target and it just feels cheap. I like the designs, but the stock is too thin and the inserts are bland. I haven't gotten any Finest and probably won't.

I did pick up some Panini Americana and Diamond Kings and I will definitely be getting more of each.

I was very underwhelmed. Only opened one master of finest but plenty of archives hobby and retail. Very crap. Also I HATED the look of the finest cards

UPDATE: based on the results of selling the Ferrell card, Archives DEFINITELY gives topps the edge in secondary market. Still don't like the look but I'll take it!