`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to Achieve Your Hobby Goals (And More!)

How to Achieve Your Hobby Goals (And More!)
Last night, I talked over the importance of goal setting with my son. Being 12 years old (him, not me) it may seem a little young to do this, but that is what my parents did with me. My son wants to create a video game, but this is very applicable to collecting as well.

The first time I set a goal was when i was 12 years old. I wanted to buy 25 T-206 tobacco cards. Using the formula below, I was able to accomplish this - quite a huge accomplishment for a kid! This formula has stuck with me ever since, and is from Zig Ziglar. I also use other techniques as well to continue pushing forward toward what I want to accomplish.

Hopefully this will help some of you out in achieving your goals as well!

1) State the Goal
A goal not written down is not a goal at all ... it is just a dream! Things get real when you write things down. There is something psychological that happens once pen is put to paper. Make sure you are specific about it as well.

For example:

"I want to have an awesome baseball card collection"

is not specific! Try this:

"I want to have 10 PSA graded gem mint rookies of meaningful players in my collection."

2) Set a Deadline
Writing down your goal is not enough. If you want to realize your dream, you must set a deadline, or it likely will never start.

For our 10 PSA graded gem mint rookies, you might put the deadline at the end of Summer - September 22, 2015.

At the writing of this article, the great thing about this is that you can now begin to identify what needs to happen within this time for this to happen! September 22 means you have about 15 weeks, or 105 days to reach your goal. It is important to note to NOT be afraid to extend the deadline. Many get frustrated with this, and shut down if they miss a deadline. Just keep going!

3) Identify the Obstacles
"Nothing in life worth having is free". Your goal is a goal for a reason - there are obstacles to get to what you want! Don't ignore them - identify them.

For finding your 10 PSA graded gem mint rookies, your obstacles could be:
- Finding them
- Getting the money together for them
- Dealing with your wife when she things you have gone bananas because you want to drop so much money on pieces of cardboard like a nerd.

4) Identify the People, Groups and Organizations who can Assist
There is a saying: "Travel alone, and you will get there fast. Travel together, and you will go far." Sometimes, we all need help on things. Who / what can help you? What tools? What websites?

Ebay and COMC are great places to find cards you want. The forums are also a great tool, because not only can you buy cards, you can also network with other collectors and share your goal! Try doing this kind of networking 15 years ago - it would have been insanely difficult.

5) List the Benefits of Achieving the Goal
Ask: "What's in it for me?" Never lose sight of why you are working toward your goal! If you cannot come up with a compelling list as to what the benefits are, perhaps you need to pull the plug. Life is short - make the most of your time.

For the 10 PSA graded gem mint cards, you will probably easily be able to write out a laundry list of benefits:

- They will be the center piece of the collection I love so much.
- My friends. family and fellow collectors will be impressed with such fine specimens of cardboard.
- I LOVE showing off new cards on the forums, and would be able to do that with these.
- The chicks will be swarming me because of these cards.

6) List the Skills you need to Acquire to Obtain this Goal
This isn't too terribly applicable for this goal, but one skill you may need is a good working understanding of the value of what cards you want! You want your purchases to be smart, so don't just blindly throw $500 on that beautiful 1991 Fleer Ultra Phil Plantier you have your eye on.

7) Develop a Plan
This is where the rubber meets the road. You have identified your goal, set a deadline, identified the obstacles and who to work with. You have listed the benefits of achieving the goal and listed the skills needed to obtain this goal.

You now have all the tools needed to make a plan - write it down! This is the "HOW". Setup mini goals / check points for yourself. In our example goal, we have 15 weeks to get the 10 psa graded cards. The plan could be to:

- Identify the 10 cards you want (and perhaps 10 alternates if something else catches your eye instead.)
- Determine how much each should cost.
- Develop a plan to get the money needed (or adjust the goal / go for other cards that might be more attainable.)
- Start hitting the online websites and look!

As it has been said before, it is VERY simple, but it may not be easy. Virtually any goal can be achieved, so put this list to work, and remember - if you don't see success 100%, you will still be a lot further along than if you hadn't tried for it!

A few notes that I feel I should share about this:

1) Any goal worth going for should not negatively affect anyone. If it is going to take away precious time with your family, or cause a rift between you and close friends, then consider doing something else. This should be a positive experience - a change for the better.

2) Review your goal every morning when you wake up and every night when you go to bed. Try your hardest to do something ... anything EVERY DAY to make progress.

So, that is it for now! I'm looking forward to hearing from YOU! What are your goals?

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: How to Achieve Your Hobby Goals (And More!)
Outstanding...
To the point and accurate..
You need to get paid for writing articles for mags....

Maybe a radio show...tv show...on stage at annual meeting??

Great as usual...

Great advice and in-depth strategy.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I have several major goals right now...

#1- Reorganize both my PC and my for trade collection. I want all cards to be easily trackable by player and want to keep my org equally organized. I will have separate "new cards to enter into org" "listed on E-bay" "to send to Comc" and "for team lots" bins that will allow me to keep the organization.

#2- Hit 400 Different Cards of Yelich by the end of the year. I'm at 225 right now, with about 50 different autos.

#3- These really don't have a timetable, but for the sake of it, I'll say by the end of 2016 I'd like to have all of these sets done...

1993 Stadium Club 1st day issue
1994 Pinnacle Museum Collection
1994 Upper Deck Electric Diamond
2012, 2013, 2014 Bowman regular and bowman draft blue paper parallel sets...

#4 To get my 1989 Topps A's team set autographs authenticated... and get the missing pieces (Last one's I need are Rickey Henderson and Jose Canseco... Damn it, should have linked up with you somehow and gotten one signed some how!!!)
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

MASTERFULLY written, Tanner!! As usual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

These are great steps to Life. Nice work!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

So, that is it for now! I'm looking forward to hearing from YOU! What are your goals?

Reached a couple of them already

I am ahead on my T-206 project but if I can maintain 1-T-206 per month I will be happy so far I picked up 8 leaves me 71 left to get. I took about a 3 year break lost interest in it (some may already know the story) but my refocus been great
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]