`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Anyone else excited about the draft?

Anyone else excited about the draft?
Anyone else watching the draft tomorrow night? I'm pretty stoked. I've been collecting Alex Bregman's USA cards for a little over 2 years now, and will finally be able to go after his MLB uni stuff.

He has been projected to go in the top 7 by all mock drafts I have read. Of course, the A's draft at #20 so there is no shot at getting him.

He has been predicted as high as #2 overall to the Astros, and as low as #7 to the Red Sox... It will be interesting to see where he goes, as there are 2 other shortstops slated to go higher than Bregman (Vandy's Dansby Swanson and High Schooler Brendan Rodgers).

I would hate for him to end up with the Astro's... Bregs should be MLB ready within a year, year and a half. With Correa and Altuve, them drafting a shortstop/middle infielder could get Bregman clogged up in the system.

I'd love to see him go to the BoSox... He has drawn comparisons to Pedroia (I myself compare him to Biggio a bit), which are both lofty comparisons... He has ties to Boston. They drafted him in 2010 as a late round flier, even though he said he was going to college if he didn't go in the 1st round, and Blake Swihart is a good buddy of his. Plus, beantown certainly wouldn't hurt the value of all my chrome autos I have laying around Smile

Anyone else exciteD?
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

RE: Anyone else excited about the draft?
I've been stashing Rodgers, but I think Bregman goes second after the Vandy kid Swanson. Rodgers goes 3rd. I enjoy watching this every year.

Looking for all cards from these guys I don't have!
[Image: tPSNwfV.png]

Yeah I'm pretty stoked. I'd be surprised to see the Stros take Bregman for the reason you mentioned, and they need arms, so I think they'll take two pitchers (Fulmer maybe). It's not the deepest draft, but it's highly unpredictable, which is exciting. Indians will get another serviceable piece at 17 and I'll finally be able to sort through the last undrafted players from the 2009-10 USA sets I busted.
Trading for cut autos of baseball HOFers I don't have, autos of current and future Cleveland Guardians, and anything else that catches my eye!

I'm very interested to see what my team does with the first pick, I want them to go SP personally.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

I'll be watching to see where Mariano Rivera Jr goes. It would be nice if the Yanks pick him up.
I only have a vested interest in Daz Cameron since I picked up an nice auto/relic of him recently.
There are 2 or 3 guys from Vanderbuit U. That are supposedly touted as 1st rounders this year. (Fulmer, Dansby and ?) I really haven't invested heavily in any one player. So I'll be rooting for your pick, Dominic.
Hope Bregman drafts high!

Yankees are 16th and Marlins are 12th so nobody will be a top 10 pick for either Sad
I just heard that The Astros get a compensation pick for not signing Brady Aiken last year. So the Astros get a #2 and #5 pick? Doesn't seem right. Anyone know why Aiken didn't sign with the 'stros?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(06-08-2015, 07:16 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'll be watching to see where Mariano Rivera Jr goes. It would be nice if the Yanks pick him up.
I only have a vested interest in Daz Cameron since I picked up an nice auto/relic of him recently.
There are 2 or 3 guys from Vanderbuit U. That are supposedly touted as 1st rounders this year. (Fulmer, Dansby and ?) I really haven't invested heavily in any one player. So I'll be rooting for your pick, Dominic.
Hope Bregman drafts high!

Yankees are 16th and Marlins are 12th so nobody will be a top 10 pick for either Sad
I just heard that The Astros get a compensation pick for not signing Brady Aiken last year. So the Astros get a #2 and #5 pick? Doesn't seem right. Anyone know why Aiken didn't sign with the 'stros?
Aiken felt like they gave him a low-ball offer after the Astros physical revealed "issues" with his arm and they lowered their initial offer. Aiken chose not to sign and according to sources felt snubbed by the offer. Then later he has to have Tommy John surgery after everyone was hating on the Astros for lowering their offer. Seems to me it was legitimate and now Aiken will drop mid-late first round.

I personally agree with the system because a player has no repercussions to not signing. They can test the market after high school and if they don't like what round they went in or the team they can choose not to sign and then go to college. Junior college players can enter anytime and 4-year college players can enter after their Junior season or when they turn 21. If they don't like where they went they can return to college for a senior season. Also, the same team can not draft them the next year unless the player agrees ahead of time to them doing so.

The draft is in the players favor unlike other sports because they can enter and withdraw after the fact without missing valuable competitive playing time should they choose not to sign. Like in Basketball or Football they lose their NCAA eligibility for 1 year once they sign an agent and must sign somewhere as a free agent if un-drafted or they will not play at a competitive level for a year.
[Image: image.jpg]

(06-08-2015, 08:18 AM)Dub24rollin Wrote: Aiken felt like they gave him a low-ball offer after the Astros physical revealed "issues" with his arm and they lowered their initial offer. Aiken chose not to sign and according to sources felt snubbed by the offer. Then later he has to have Tommy John surgery after everyone was hating on the Astros for lowering their offer. Seems to me it was legitimate and now Aiken will drop mid-late first round.

I personally agree with the system because a player has no repercussions to not signing. They can test the market after high school and if they don't like what round they went in or the team they can choose not to sign and then go to college. Junior college players can enter anytime and 4-year college players can enter after their Junior season or when they turn 21. If they don't like where they went they can return to college for a senior season. Also, the same team can not draft them the next year unless the player agrees ahead of time to them doing so.

The draft is in the players favor unlike other sports because they can enter and withdraw after the fact without missing valuable competitive playing time should they choose not to sign. Like in Basketball or Football they lose their NCAA eligibility for 1 year once they sign an agent and must sign somewhere as a free agent if un-drafted or they will not play at a competitive level for a year.
THANKS!
Very interesting! I never knew the intricacies of it all. You're right. Complicated but totally in the player's favor. So based on that, I think that the Astros deserve the #1 pick to make up for Aiken. Aiken should have shut up and taken the money. We're raising a group of thankless, greedly little ball players that don't understand the privilege it is to play professionally. A huge percentage never pan out, and an injury can derail your abilities forever. Its a huge gamble for the team to sign a player. Shut up and take your millions. You just won a lottery ticket. Not every lottery winner gets the same ... But they're all lucky to 'win' no matter the difference.
If you're talented, you'll have ample time to make it up later. If not, you might actually have to work like the rest of us. Boo-hoo.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

My Twins are picking 6th...many people think Daz Cameron will be chosen. I'd be happy with that. I used to be "WE HAVE TO GET 'x" GUY! HE'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!" But in reality, so many 1st round picks don't pan out, or injuries de-rail a career, etc. There are only so many Kris Bryant's, Bryce Harper's and Chris Sale's of the world that are picked high in the 1st round and make such an immediate impact. Either way, I'll still be watching it because, well, let's face it....it's baseball!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I like daz. I think he was slated top 3 and #1 overall at the start of the year. Talented kid from what I've read and you have to love the bloodline! I would love for the a's to take a flier on some high school/5-tool talent that falls to them, instead of some safe low-ceiling college bat (ahem. Matt chapman...)

There are very few places bregman could land that will get me to stop PC'ing him. Only ones I can think of is the giants, angels, or your yanks being the big 3. Looks like those won't happen though.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(06-08-2015, 09:23 AM)madamson Wrote: My Twins are picking 6th...many people think Daz Cameron will be chosen. I'd be happy with that. I used to be "WE HAVE TO GET 'x" GUY! HE'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!" But in reality, so many 1st round picks don't pan out, or injuries de-rail a career, etc. There are only so many Kris Bryant's, Bryce Harper's and Chris Sale's of the world that are picked high in the 1st round and make such an immediate impact. Either way, I'll still be watching it because, well, let's face it....it's baseball!!!!!!!!
From what I've read Daz wants a very high paycheck (5 Million +) and some "experts" believe that could cause him to fall out of the top 36 and leave him for a team that has multiple picks and a larger signing pool (Astros). It's going to be interesting for sure.

The MLB draft, and any draft for that matter, is like your fantasy sports drafts! Everyone thinks their team is going to be great! LOL. Then reality sets in as time passes. No-names like Mark Buehrle (Drafted in the 38th round!) emerge and highly sot after names like Paul Shuey and B.J. Wallace (both selected before Derek Jeter) just don't pan out for various reasons, some out of their control.

Bottom line....IT'S EXCITING!!!
[Image: image.jpg]