`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I dont understand this...

RE: I dont understand this...

I think it would be rude for me to initiate the trade talks in which I offer you 30 cards in exchange for 1 card with equal value.

In this case....the set builder initiated the trade talks.......

Translation:
Set Builder "I need these 30 cards for my set. Can we work out something?"
Original Poster "I am not a set builder. It really isn't worth my time to be messing with 30 base cards....unless you want to trade this auto"

I don't think that is rude. Just differences in how they are collecting.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

I really look at this two ways. If I receive an offer for a bunch of base cards, I try to fill my set needs (base) that I'm currently working on to make things even. If I don't see anything I can use, I will try to look for something (relic, numbered, auto etc.) that I will be able to trade but I only take about half the value of what they are looking for from me. I also explain that in the notes section when I send the trade over. If they don't like it, cool. No biggie to me either way and no hard feelings.

However if I'm the one to send out the trade offer and I want 30+ base cards from a trader, I expect I'm going to have to give up 1-2 auto/relic/numbered cards they may want. And to me it is a good trade because I wanted those cards to complete my sets.

The only thing that really gets to me is when somebody goes through and picks a bunch of my autos I have listed FT and when I ask for similar autos in return (which are marked as needs in my folder), they cancel all of them and say to pick other things. Over the last several canceled trades with this same member, I've come to learn what he is trying to say is "Hey man, I have a bunch of autos I want from you but I'm only willing to give up non auto inserts you have marked as needs". This person is the only person that really gets under my skin and I have zero interest in trading with. At times like this, it makes me a little sad the "ignore" feature is broken.

I would most likely not do that trade because A: I don't have a lot of "higher end" cards and B: what a lot of people stated in this post regarding to the values ie: trout rc vs 80 kruks or what have you. In the end its peoples choices. Some people are willing to part ways, others not so much. Don't have a cow man. <-- yes I said that.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

It depends on who you're trading with, how hard the base cards are to pull, and how many cards the other guy needs to complete the set.

Case in point, a couple of years ago on the basketball boards a guy needed $40 worth of Prizm singles to complete a set. It just so happened that I had busted a few boxes and had the ones he needed.

Prizm hobby was six cards a pack (I think), and the base set was either 200, 250 or 300 cards (can't remember off hand) ... so basically he hit the "jackpot" with me by getting all of his wants in one deal, not having to buy X more boxes, and I got a nice $40 jersey auto out of it for cards that were literally going to sit in a box in my garage until I sold them or gave them away.

Point is, it's just about being patient for the right deal ... there's no hard and fast rule about any of this stuff, just people's preferences.

(05-24-2015, 07:20 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: mind you, this isnt universal. some folks dont mind. but id venture to say a majority of folks would feel it rude

if i have a mike trout auto with a bv of 150, and you have 150 john smoltz rookies worth 1 dollar each, is this an even trade even if both sides want the cards involved?

if i have a 1952 topps mantle, and trade it for 50 thousand 1986 john kruk topps traded rookies, is that a fair trade even if i love john kruk?
Why wouldn't those be fair trades if, as you say, both sides want the cards? If the trading parties are happy, who cares what a third party opinion is?

It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

(05-25-2015, 12:11 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: If I do not like the trade or consider the offer unbalanced (in any way) to me..I politely decline and move on...

I am a TEAM collector and will trade most anything to add to the team cards...I try to keep the trade balanced..but will go over to their side....
+1.

To the OP....take the advice you have been given and just let your trades play out. Best to communicate early and often with your partners and don't take anything personal when it comes to trade rejections....just move on.

Most of all....have fun with this......trading should be one on the most enjoyable parts of the hobby, not a stress inducer.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.