`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2009'10 Panini Prestige "Old School Signatures" *COMPLETE Sub-Set*

2009'10 Panini Prestige "Old School Signatures" *COMPLETE Sub-Set*
So yeah, I completed this autograph sub-set a long while ago and am only posting about it now, haha. 09'10 Panini Prestige was their first basketball product released (I'm pretty sure this was, it's been so long now that I'll second guess myself) after obtaining the NBA license. I went back and watched the video I made on YT of when I busted my box on October 24, 2009 out of curiosity and it made me laugh. I liked the base design and the inserts as I said so in the video. Only reason I'm not posting a link is because I cussed during the video after some of my pulls and people seem to be so sensitive these days... The hits were a DeMarre Carroll RC auto #/499 (look at this guy now, he's had a long journey before making a name for himself in Atlanta this season. It sucks about his injury.), Rodrigue Beaubois on-card RC auto (I guess injuries caused this guy not to stick around in the NBA), Dirk Nowitzki jersey card #/250 (my first Panini memorabilia card) and a Blake Griffin RC auto #/50 which was in the second to last pack! I also pulled a Blake Griffin parallel base RC #/10. Pretty amazing box.

Anyway, at the 6:50 mark in the part 2 video I made of this break is where I pulled the Dan Issel "Old School" insert card (not autographed mind you, just the base insert card). After the break and scanning through all the cards this "Old School" insert card really caught my eye. I don't know why...maybe because of the odd use of bright colors on the card that you don't often see. And the stars on the top of the card, that caught my eye. I liked that Panini used a script type font for the players' names on the top right corner. I decided I would put together the autograph sub-set and did my research. Also, all autos are on-card and that was probably the nail in the coffin for me to put it together. 13 Players in the set. Of those 13 I only previously had autograph cards of 2 (Frazier and Walton). This was another key factor as I would obtain my first autographs of 11 players I never had and they would be on-card autos to boot. I figured to pick up the Oscar Robertson first and foremost since it was the most limited in there only being /50 cards and that I did. Another thing, Robertson gave his full signature and simply did not sign "Big O". I breezed through collecting all the cards until it came down to the final four. Walt Frazier, Chris Mullin, Kenny Walker and Kevin McHale. These guys were either late signers or never signed the cards so they could be live in Panini's first basketball release in 09'10 Prestige. I had to wait until 10'11 Panini Season Update was released to be able to obtain these final four players I was missing and that I did.

Here's a fun fact: Connie Hawkins signed his cards two different ways. His card was live in the 09'10 Prestige release and I did pick it up. Only issue being is that he signed his nickname "Hawk" and inscribed his jersey #42. I don't think this occurred to me at the time like it did for Robertson. Honestly, I hadn't heard of Hawkins and did not have any cards of him much less an autograph. More importantly, I didn't know he sometimes would only sign his nickname. His autograph card would also be re-released in 10'11 Panini Season Update with his full signature along with the other 4 players I was missing. Another thing to note is that only Frazier, Mullin, Walker and McHale's cards were sequentially numbered on the back of their cards (that's right, only these 4 who were only released in 10'11 Panini Season Update). All the other players were not, no where on the card.

09'10 Panini Prestige "Old School Signatures" Complete Sub-Set:

Oscar Robertson #/50
Oscar Robertson photo DSC00515.jpg

Dell Curry #/96
Dell Curry photo DSC00537.jpg

Bill Walton #/82
Bill Walton photo DSC00539.jpg

Dave Cowens #/99
Dave Cowens photo DSC00541.jpg

Connie Hawkins #/100
Connie Hawkins photo DSC00543.jpg

David Thompson #/100
David Thompson photo DSC00544.jpg

Bob McAdoo #/100
Bob McAdoo photo DSC00545.jpg

Al Attles #/100
 photo DSC01174.jpg

Dan Issel #/100
 photo DSC01172.jpg

Chris Mullin #18/100 (I wished Mullin had signed horizontally. I guess he was used to signing Autographics a lot.
 photo DSC01167.jpg

Walt Frazier #36/100
Walt Frazier photo DSC01165.jpg

Kevin McHale #44/100
 photo IMG_20150522_184754_hdr_zpsu48yyviy.jpg

Kenny Walker #91/100 (My first auto of him for my Knicks Collection as well.)
 photo IMG_20150522_185042_hdr_zpsgj7ayzve.jpg
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

RE: 2009'10 Panini Prestige "Old School Signatures" *COMPLETE Sub-Set*
I love this set, great design, on-card autos. Not really the kind of players I would chase myself but having this complete is a nice achievement. Congrats!

I didn't even know this set existed. So so retro.
I have to say I disagree with your idea that Mullin should have signed horizontally. I think the last part of his signature would have been lost in the blue of his uniform. And I like when a player seems to care about the integrity of his signature.

Very Nice!
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

I was really impressed with the Walton I picked up from this set. You are absolutely right about the colors, they are definitely unique and look really nice. I don't know to much about this set, but I happen to have a Bill Walton from this set, that is numbered /20 on the back. If you'd like to see a picture let me know.

*Edit*

Actually I just pulled the Walton, and the card design looks exactly the same, but it has him pictured in UCLA jersey instead of Blazers jersey? Do you have any info on this?
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Congrats and a very nice looking set!!!

Now THAT is a cool set!! Love the colors, design, on-card autographs...congrats!

(05-26-2015, 10:59 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: I was really impressed with the Walton I picked up from this set. You are absolutely right about the colors, they are definitely unique and look really nice. I don't know to much about this set, but I happen to have a Bill Walton from this set, that is numbered /20 on the back. If you'd like to see a picture let me know.

*Edit*

Actually I just pulled the Walton, and the card design looks exactly the same, but it has him pictured in UCLA jersey instead of Blazers jersey? Do you have any info on this?
2009 National Variant/Promo?
Does it say "Cleveland 2009" on the back?

Yes it does! Never heard of these.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

(05-23-2015, 02:20 AM)folkertino Wrote: I love this set, great design, on-card autos. Not really the kind of players I would chase myself but having this complete is a nice achievement. Congrats!
Thank you. There's several guys before my time in it but I just really liked the retro design.
(05-23-2015, 09:24 AM)Caffrey Wrote: I didn't even know this set existed. So so retro.
I have to say I disagree with your idea that Mullin should have signed horizontally. I think the last part of his signature would have been lost in the blue of his uniform. And I like when a player seems to care about the integrity of his signature.
Wow!! Great call on the Mullin. It never occurred to me the tail end of his sig would get lost had he signed horizontally. I take back what I originally said, I'm glad now Mullin signed vertically!
(05-26-2015, 10:59 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: I was really impressed with the Walton I picked up from this set. You are absolutely right about the colors, they are definitely unique and look really nice. I don't know to much about this set, but I happen to have a Bill Walton from this set, that is numbered /20 on the back. If you'd like to see a picture let me know.

*Edit*

Thanks. The choice and use of the colors really made the design. Those stars too, man!
(05-26-2015, 02:01 PM)kct1 Wrote: Congrats and a very nice looking set!!!
Thanks, I must agree.
(05-26-2015, 05:45 PM)kstjst48 Wrote: Now THAT is a cool set!! Love the colors, design, on-card autographs...congrats!
Thanks. I think the only thing I would have done to improve this sub-set is to have added more players. I think that says enough if that's the only thing I'd change.
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv