`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shill Bidding...

Shill Bidding...
What % of bidding with a seller makes you start to suspect shill bidding on eBay?

RE: Shill Bidding...
(05-13-2015, 01:37 PM)slufan83 Wrote: What % of bidding with a seller makes you start to suspect shill bidding on eBay?
I don't pay attention to that. Jacoby knows, though.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Just kinda curious because I was watching a card I was planning on bidding on near the end of the auction, but it just jumped to a price double what I expected it to sell for and it still has 4 days left to go.

(05-13-2015, 01:42 PM)slufan83 Wrote: Just kinda curious because I was watching a card I was planning on bidding on near the end of the auction, but it just jumped to a price double what I expected it to sell for and it still has 4 days left to go.
hmmmm...... Can you tell IF this person is new? I know, when I First started out, I thought wanted to always be the high bidder. Whenever someone outbid me, I immediately placed bids until I was the high bidder. So, maybe that is what is going on.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(05-13-2015, 01:55 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: hmmmm...... Can you tell IF this person is new? I know, when I First started out, I thought wanted to always be the high bidder. Whenever someone outbid me, I immediately placed bids until I was the high bidder. So, maybe that is what is going on.
That is also what I did when I first started bidding on the Bay. Soon I realized that I only helping drive up the price, as other bidders would also fight for the top bid. I'm a sniper now and when I experience bidders like that, I get very annoyed lol.

Depends how many sellers the guys bid with and the overall number or bids.
I had a card end this morning for well over its market value and I lost to a guy that had raised the price in increments 3 days in a row. I looked at his bidder history and he had 13 bids in the last 30 days, all on this card. Could it be a seldom user? I suppose.. he had over 700 feedback as well which only complicates my issue. I believe I was shilled and expect to see the item back up for sale soon or recieve a second chance offer.
no org, please do not send trade requests

Ive seen it happen a few times and never understand why the bid so much having so many days left to go!!! I always end up losing those auctions.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Kinda unrelated in a way, but at the Angels game last night they were doing auctions. They had a really nice Mark Trumbo autographed ball. The bid starts at 40 and increases by at least 10 per bet. So I put in my 10 dollar bet which made it 50 total. I was told the auction would end at the end of the 6th inning. So I figure I could go back and check on it. So I did went back in the 3rd inning and I was still the top bet. Went again in the top of the 6th and saw that some lady had bid 10 more bringing it to 60. So I went ahead and bid again and decided just to stick around. Sure enough, so was the lady. Some old lady. She waited a few minutes and when there were two outs left in the bottom of the 6th she walked up and bet another 10 making it 80. The ball is only worth 130 so after I saw her bet I walked back to my seat all angry that the old lady one upped me twice. On the way out I went up to the guy running it and found out that she is there every single day. Every day!!!!!! And she will stand there every single inning while her husband watches the game in the seats. How can you compete with that??? I cant be there everyday. Ill be honest I am a little butt hurt. It just angers me that she has to be a nag like that. I guess its the same as online auctions too. Just thought Id share that little piece. I thought about betting 120 so she would have to pay retail for the ball. I told that to the guy running the auction and he said she still would have increased the bet. How annoying!!!!

[Image: banner_zpsn8lxnr05.jpg]

All Angels!!!

(05-13-2015, 04:42 PM)tucker251 Wrote: Kinda unrelated in a way, but at the Angels game last night they were doing auctions. They had a really nice Mark Trumbo autographed ball. The bid starts at 40 and increases by at least 10 per bet. So I put in my 10 dollar bet which made it 50 total. I was told the auction would end at the end of the 6th inning. So I figure I could go back and check on it. So I did went back in the 3rd inning and I was still the top bet. Went again in the top of the 6th and saw that some lady had bid 10 more bringing it to 60. So I went ahead and bid again and decided just to stick around. Sure enough, so was the lady. Some old lady. She waited a few minutes and when there were two outs left in the bottom of the 6th she walked up and bet another 10 making it 80. The ball is only worth 130 so after I saw her bet I walked back to my seat all angry that the old lady one upped me twice. On the way out I went up to the guy running it and found out that she is there every single day. Every day!!!!!! And she will stand there every single inning while her husband watches the game in the seats. How can you compete with that??? I cant be there everyday. Ill be honest I am a little butt hurt. It just angers me that she has to be a nag like that. I guess its the same as online auctions too. Just thought Id share that little piece. I thought about betting 120 so she would have to pay retail for the ball. I told that to the guy running the auction and he said she still would have increased the bet. How annoying!!!!
Just being honest, but this made me LOL! I can just picture it. But I can honestly tell you that I've been at an auction where this was happening on something that I wanted. I knew what I was willing to pay and I just dropped the number. Took the auction from $600 to $1500 and walked away thinking if they wanted it, cough it up. I won by the way and now my Griffey game used autographed jersey sits nicely in my home. Well worth it. Seeing the look on the other guys face walking back up to drop another $20 bid was priceless. And it was for charity so in the end, everybody won. Well except the guy trying to get it for $620 Smile

(05-13-2015, 05:08 PM)petercopp Wrote: Just being honest, but this made me LOL! I can just picture it. But I can honestly tell you that I've been at an auction where this was happening on something that I wanted. I knew what I was willing to pay and I just dropped the number. Took the auction from $600 to $1500 and walked away thinking if they wanted it, cough it up. I won by the way and now my Griffey game used autographed jersey sits nicely in my home. Well worth it. Seeing the look on the other guys face walking back up to drop another $20 bid was priceless. And it was for charity so in the end, everybody won. Well except the guy trying to get it for $620 Smile
Now that is a funny story. I can imagine hime walking up to make his bet and looking at the sheet and turning to look at you walking away!!!! lol. Yeah I can see the humor in mine, its just upsetting in a way knowing that she will up the bet no matter what. The guy said she is there every game just bidding and bidding while her husband watches the game. I was willing to pay 80 for the ball (Wife's made that number very clear lol) but Im not gonna miss the game because of some old lady being a thorn in my side.

[Image: banner_zpsn8lxnr05.jpg]

All Angels!!!