`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Pet Peeves

Pet Peeves
I have been collecting thirty years. I also read a lot of other people's posts on here, and am very aggravated about a couple things.

A printing plate is NOT a 1/1. It is a unique gimmick made up by Topps to increase the perceived value of their products.

The lack of team logos on Panini products is not their fault. MLB wanted simplicity when they pulled the licence from Donruss and Upper Deck ten years ago. When prospects are airbrushed, who cares, they are going to get traded ten more times before they hit the show. When Mike Trout is airbrushed, it is a travesty.

Topps is not the savior a lot of people make them out to be. They are bullies, pushing competition out of their way and putting out over produced lackluster products. It has the monopoly so it is all the young collectors know, but when Fleer, Score, Upper Deck, and Donruss were in the game, collecting was a lot of fun. I have swallowed the Topps pill for a while now.

RE: Pet Peeves
Without competition, as in any other industry, Topps does what it wants. It's unfair to consumers.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(05-03-2015, 05:58 PM)jonathani Wrote: Without competition, as in any other industry, Topps does what it wants. It's unfair to consumers.
Agreed!!!! I sure miss upper deck, fleer, pacific, score, pinnacle etc etc etc
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

As a RC collector I despise Topps. Under the MLB rules a player must actually play before they have a RC since 2006. Topps still puts out crap calling it prospects instead a few years in advance like they have always done.

It has ruined what I collect with all the hoopla so I stopped as the cards have no value to me.

(05-03-2015, 06:08 PM)crossada Wrote: As a RC collector I despise Topps. Under the MLB rules a player must actually play before they have a RC since 2006. Topps still puts out crap calling it prospects instead a few years in advance like they have always done.

It has ruined what I collect with all the hoopla so I stopped as the cards have no value to me.
I totally agree. That is why when people they say won't collect cards without logos, those are where you find all of the good rookies. If you wait for logos, you are buying a big turd. Frustrating, I feel like a preacher on a soap box.

My pet peeve is when people call all jersey cards patches. There is a difference between a swatch of jersey and a patch.

(05-03-2015, 06:08 PM)crossada Wrote: As a RC collector I despise Topps. Under the MLB rules a player must actually play before they have a RC since 2006. Topps still puts out crap calling it prospects instead a few years in advance like they have always done.

I think they just need to be on the 25 man roster in order for it to be a RC....at least I thought......

(05-03-2015, 08:18 PM)madamson Wrote: I think they just need to be on the 25 man roster in order for it to be a RC....at least I thought......
According to MLB

Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

To me, anyone who is new is a rookie
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

You guys realize your complaining about Topps because they won the consumer war. We put them in this position. Yes I wish the other companies were still producing cards but they aren't. We provided them (Topps) with the money to be able to secure the MLB licensing because they put out the best product.

I do believe to have a RC they have to play in a game if I read the rules correctly.
http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/Rookie_Card

That is why the main Topps set never has many RC in it because it is released well before the season starts.