`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
card show or card shop

card show or card shop
I have started selling at the card show in Nashville. I was also thinking of possibly opening a shop. My question is are card shops still worth opening? Or am I better off just doing shows?

RE: card show or card shop
Depends on the amount of collectors you have in your area and how rural a town/city you live in. I've debated opening a shop in my city (small town) for the last couple years. While it is a small town, it has a decent down town area that gets a good deal of foot traffic and visitors from other towns because of the restaurants and shops. You have to think about inventory as well. Do you have enough to sustain a large sales week? If you did sell well one week, do you have the ability to replenish your inventory easily/fast? Are you going to sell boxes and supplies?

Thanks. Yes I live in Nashville area. There is a lot of traffic in the area. Yes I will sell was boxes and supplies also. I think that is needed. I am working on getting better and more cards to sell. I still need more. I am not ready to open a store just yet. I'm just thinking about it.

It's fun to think about. Being able to do what you love all day long, every day. Just hours and hours if researching cards. Looking at them. Having people bring their gems to you.

Yes. Also knowing what to buy and sell. That is the big thing.

I've had the opportunity (still do) to purchase our LCS. The owner is in his late 50's and is ready to move on. I've known him for 20+ years and trust him when he says that he makes a very nice salary. Even though his asking price is in my opinion a bit high, I have had the same thoughts that you are having.

There is a strong market for non-sports cards where i live and there is a fair amount of interest in sports cards provided that local teams are doing well (Twins, T-Wolves, Vikings). I'm not too concerned as to how sales would be as the shop is in a high-traffic mall with great exposure.

Where i am hesitant is the time. Can i be happy working the hours (which are currently M-F (11-9) Sat (10-9) and Sun (12-6). I know I could hire someone, which i would probably do), but that eats into the bottom line and if it's my livelihood then i need to be conservative in that respect.

I love to think about it...watching people come in and rip wax, buy singles, chat about sports, etc. But...........

According to my LCS owner the #1 rule he lives by would be so hard to do. He says he can NEVER open a single box. Ever. Because if he does he couldn't stop. And if you open half a case and sell half a case you will be out of business fast.
Colleting all Topps Cubs cards from the main set and Traded/Update
Main Set - 1415/1672 84.6%
Years Completed - 51, 76-94, 96, 99, 00, 04, 06, 07, 09, 12
Traded/Update - 90/234 38.4%

You said it bud. My issue isn't the hours. I would have no problems doing it. I eat, sleep and breathe cards as it is. Every free second I have is devoted to sports cards. The issue I've had is the job I've had since I was a boy. My father and I have a construction company that has always done fairly well. Every time we think we've had enough of the headaches of the industry, we seem to inadvertently align ourselves with contracts that are too good to say no to. For now I'll gave to settle for shows and private sales/trading. Part of the reason I love this site so much is it's added new depth to my dealings and it's absolutely effortless.
(04-08-2015, 08:47 PM)rynocollector Wrote: According to my LCS owner the #1 rule he lives by would be so hard to do. He says he can NEVER open a single box. Ever. Because if he does he couldn't stop. And if you open half a case and sell half a case you will be out of business fast.
Different philosophies every where you go I guess. My friend has a shop in the next town over. That's predominantly where I get me wax. He opens quite a bit. Not too excessive, but more than you'd think. He's always had really great luck and I've bought countless cards from him as he opened boxes.

(04-08-2015, 08:47 PM)rynocollector Wrote: According to my LCS owner the #1 rule he lives by would be so hard to do. He says he can NEVER open a single box. Ever. Because if he does he couldn't stop. And if you open half a case and sell half a case you will be out of business fast.
That would definitely be my biggest problem. With so much wax to be had, the only person stopping you from opening it all is yourself, and my will is not that strong. If someone walked in my shop and pulled something nice, I'd undoubtedly take a box home with me and lose money.
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

(04-08-2015, 08:33 PM)madamson Wrote: I've had the opportunity (still do) to purchase our LCS. The owner is in his late 50's and is ready to move on. I've known him for 20+ years and trust him when he says that he makes a very nice salary. Even though his asking price is in my opinion a bit high, I have had the same thoughts that you are having.

There is a strong market for non-sports cards where i live and there is a fair amount of interest in sports cards provided that local teams are doing well (Twins, T-Wolves, Vikings). I'm not too concerned as to how sales would be as the shop is in a high-traffic mall with great exposure.

Where i am hesitant is the time. Can i be happy working the hours (which are currently M-F (11-9) Sat (10-9) and Sun (12-6). I know I could hire someone, which i would probably do), but that eats into the bottom line and if it's my livelihood then i need to be conservative in that respect.

I love to think about it...watching people come in and rip wax, buy singles, chat about sports, etc. But...........
Billy's, Three Star? Or is there another place I can't remember or even know about?
Kepler