`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of safes does everyone use?

What kind of safes does everyone use?
I am looking into purchasing a new larger safe for my growing PC cards. Anyone have any suggestions, likes, dislikes &/or advice? Ideally I would like to find something with a good fire rating, water resistant, and something in the 24" tall x 24" wide x 24" deep to 36" tall x 24" wide x 24" deep size range. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

RE: What kind of safes does everyone use?
My biggest tidbit of knowledge to pass on to you, don't get one small enough that someone can pick it up and walk off with it. Also, make sure you bolt it through your floor.

no house is safe, so I use my bank deposit box for my high value cards

I mostly use my .45, it seems the most reliable to me. My backup plan are my swords, knifes, brass knuckles, baseball bat or dogs....Smile
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

It depends on whether you are concerned about theft or loss due to damage (i.e. fire, flood, etc). Knowing which you are more concerned about will help determine which type of safe to buy.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-04-2015, 10:55 PM)elberson Wrote: I mostly use my .45, it seems the most reliable to me. My backup plan are my swords, knifes, brass knuckles, baseball bat or dogs....Smile
+1. I find leaving an S&W 686 Plus just in side each safe comforting on the off chance your ever forced to open one. That's pretty much going to be game over when they see your "best card".

I own a Cannon Patriot safe. Fire proof and water proof and that is guaranteed by Cannon. Holds 27 rifles and a bunch of handguns.

Honestly, never thought of putting my cards in it. lol, They would probably end up smelling like gun oil.

To answer your question seriously, Cannon does put out a real nice safe. Mine does way over 500lbs so I don't bother bolting it down. If you go with a smaller one you want to be able to bolt it down. Also look into the manufacture guarantees such as fire, water, and locks. Yes, I said locks. A lot of safes have crappy locks that bust, get one that the manufacturer will guarantee for life.

(04-04-2015, 08:06 PM)tengbino Wrote: no house is safe, so I use my bank deposit box for my high value cards
+1 - anything I have worth over $1000 is in the bank box, along with a few vintage auto'd balls.

(04-04-2015, 10:55 PM)elberson Wrote: I mostly use my .45, it seems the most reliable to me. My backup plan are my swords, knifes, brass knuckles, baseball bat or dogs....Smile
This is my house protection. A long narrow hallway, the doors locked shut, and a Mossburg 500a. I also promise you, if anyone but me tried to walk my house in the dark, they will trip and break their neck.

one way in. NO. WAY. OUT.

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

My advice, get a cheap small fire proof safe for your insurance documents. Load it with about 200-300 lbs of rolled pennies. Leave it in a semi-visible spot, not bolted to the floor. If there is a break-in, Any thief will be easy to find in the nearest hospital having a strangulated hernia or a severe lumbar disc prolapse repaired. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have a Browning fireproof safe for the real good stuff. I don't think it's going anywhere.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html