`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How did your PC develop and evolve?

RE: How did your PC develop and evolve?
I collected a little bit when I was young (around 10, 11 or so) simply because my older brother was into collecting. But I didn't really have quick access to money or a lcs so pretty much stopped.

Fast forward to about 14/15 years old when my mom moved into an apartment complex that was right behind a card shop...I was there almost everyday. Any money I got I spent on a few raw cards (mainly basketball) and mostly unopened packs and boxes of 98-99 Fleer Tradition Basketball (retail...yuck, but I didn't know the difference). Stopped collecting through high school as sports and friends kinda got in the way.

Started collecting seriously in about 2010 when I saw people posting pictures of their collection on Collectors Universe (the PSA forum) and decided I wanted to collect cards that had strong value and that were old, so that's when I decided that vintage hofer's and stars from the 3 main sports in mid grade was my main focus.
I should note that before I decided to collect vintage hofers I started collecting BGS Gem Mint Michael Jordan cards. But I'm actually thinking about getting away from the Jordan cards and focusing mainly on vintage hofers.

Great stories, everybody! Sincerely...thank you for sharing! And keep 'em coming!
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

Cool thread!

Started baseball in '85, Football in '86, and basketball in '87. I used to buy packs at lunch in school at a corner store that had penny candy, pizza, and video games(Out Run was the most popular). I had a bunch of '86, '87, '88 Topps football and '87-'88 Fleer basketball with some great cards. Mostly searching for Giants and Celtics. This is still my favorite card...

[Image: Scan0029_zpsbh4a9qvn.jpg]

I know it's strange being a fan of New York(Giants) and Boston(Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins) teams especially being from eastern Ohio but I can't stand Pittsburgh and Cleveland teams.

Fast forward to 2013 and I get back into the hobby after almost 20 years away. Now I dabble in a little of everything while I try to find my focus. I mostly collect teams and players but I do put a few sets together. Leaning towards only focusing on players. Probably a couple from each sport with busting a few boxes here and start doing some trading since I'm starting to build some decent inventory. There's a lot more to choose from since 1994 when I had last collected.

I started with Chicago teams from all sports (except the White Sox). I narrowed it to players that were drafted or signed by and played their entire career with the team. That narrowed my focus considerably.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(12-15-2015, 03:25 PM)jonathani Wrote: I started with Chicago teams from all sports (except the White Sox).
You are collecting Chicago sports correctly Smile

I started dating a girl who worked at a convenient store back in 2009.. she would get discount boxes and stuff and knew I had liked football. I collected cards way back in my child days(im 33 now) but as a kid I never took the hobby seriously. So one day she brought me a box of 2009 topps mayo and im like " oh these are cool" and I opened the several packs and hit my very first ever auto-mind you I didn't even know autograph cards existed lol- so I was like " wow this is pretty cool" it was an Austin collie autograph. I was big into Mark Sanchez so I discovered ebay and becket and started collecting here and there. I then wanted more.. I was collecting base sets, then I wanted to collect insert sets, then I wanted autographs of anybody and everybody so my collection slowly grew. in 2010 I really liked the design of that years contenders so I tried chasing the set. I got close and gave up and went back to collecting anything and anybody.. now im a full blown playoff/Panini contenders collector.. anything autographed and serial numbered. ive recently just finished the 2006 rookie ticket autograph set and I have over 2000 different autograph contenders cards and growing! I started a facebook page on them so I can display and show them off as well as make it easier to trade for my needs/wants also. I hate to say as the relationship lasted 3 years with that girl im glad I met her because id never be in this hobby today if it wasn't for her.. sometimes that's bad but in the long run, I love the people ive met,traded with and everything on this journey of my PC and card collecting.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.