`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PHILLIES FANS! Rare All Vet Team Set

PHILLIES FANS! Rare All Vet Team Set
This set was a giveaway at the last ever baseball game at Veterans Stadium on 9/28/2003. It is the fan voted all time best players at each position in Vet history. I have one of these full sealed Fleer sets! Some are on the bay but I thought I would offer mine in trade. I got this personally at the game that awesome emotional day. PM me if interested while I figure out how to add it to my org. Or post here.

The cards are of the following

Dallas Green
Greg Luzinski
John Kruck
Juan Samuel
Larry Bowa
Mike Schmidt
Gary Maddox
Bobby Abreu
Tug McGraw
Steve Carlton
Curt Schilling
Darren Daulton

RE: PHILLIES FANS! Rare All Vet Team Set
HOW DID RICHIE ASHBURN NOT MAKE THAT SET?

(03-26-2015, 06:41 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: HOW DID RICHIE ASHBURN NOT MAKE THAT SET?
And how did abreu?

I didn't want to mention that. You'd think Pete Rose would have made that list before half of those guys.

(03-26-2015, 07:16 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I didn't want to mention that. You'd think Pete Rose would have made that list before half of those guys.
Although one of the best ever, and a huge help in winning the 80 WS, Pete didn't play here long enough.
(03-26-2015, 06:41 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: HOW DID RICHIE ASHBURN NOT MAKE THAT SET?
And I just realized a HUGE brain fart! Ashburn never played at the Vet. Haha Duh!
And I just realized a HUGE brain fart! Ashburn never played at the Vet. Haha Duh!

While you didnt have Rose long, you had the greatest hitter in history for 5 years. And as you mentioned, that whole WS thing. They have Gary Maddox on there who played there 7 more years and had less than 500 more hits than Rose in their Phillies careers.

(03-26-2015, 08:18 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: While you didnt have Rose long, you had the greatest hitter in history for 5 years. And as you mentioned, that whole WS thing. They have Gary Maddox on there who played there 7 more years and had less than 500 more hits than Rose in their Phillies careers.
Very true but Maddox is in as an OF. Rose was 1B. This set went around the horn.

Can't win them all I guess. It's easy for an onlooker with no emotional attachment to Philly's players to say, "Rose was there. He should be in". I forget how attached fans get to their home town guys. Years of watching a guy play and seeing the nuances of a guys game can make a connection for a home teamer that an outsider just wont get.

Sounds about right. Now I agree rose should be in there over Kruk at 1b for sure. But Kruk was such a fan favorite.

I actually wasn't going to argue with Kruk. I grew up in the 80's and saw him regularly and knew how much fans loved him. I tried to get his cards when I was younger despite hating the NL.