`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
4 box box break the last 2 days, my likes may surprise you

4 box box break the last 2 days, my likes may surprise you
On Monday and Tuesday I received 2 boxes of cards each day. Monday was the Topps day, I had ordered a box each of 2015 Topps and Topps Heritage. I think my big regret here was ordering them from the Topps site, which I rarely do. Then on Tuesday I received 2 boxes of 2015 Donruss which I ordered (along with some supplies) from Dave and Adam.

The break I liked the best was Donruss, and I might add by a very, VERY large margin. The big reason for this is some of the inserts from both Topps products as compared to the Donruss inserts. I must admit right here that I'm a BIG fan of the Diamond Kings, and I have been since Donruss first came out with them in the 80's. Compared to them, the topps inserts looked cheap. I really hate the First Pitch inserts and the gum stained backs of the Heritage. Right now if someone would pm me for practically the whole box of Heritage, and offered me one good Yankee player that I collect, I'd trade in a heartbeat. I pulled out maybe 4 or 5 cards from the Heritage, and the others are in the box. I do like the concept of using the older Topps designs, but I feel the gum stained backs are stupid. While I like the idea of parallels, let's have some more artistic and well designed parallels. Here again, when I was a pressman, if we would have to reprint at our cost. I guess here's what bugs me, an intentional error is supposed to be good. Oh, I have no sympathy for the News Flashbacks in Heritage. I forget who didn't like them on the Box Busters, but I agree with him. Put the News Flashbacks in a non sport set.

For the Donruss cards, first of all I pulled about 3 times the inserts from one box compared to the 2 Topps products, and they are sure are a lot prettier too. Really the only design I didn't like from Donruss was The Rookies insert, and I think it's better than most of the Topps inserts. My reverse negative shortprint Trout came out of a Donruss box.

Some of the sets which are near and dear to me are the Topps Turkey Red sets, the 2003 Upper Deck Play Ball set, most all the Diamond Kings inserts and the Diamond Kings sets made in the early 2000's. Also the 2000 and 2001 Topps HD sets, gorgeous photography on them. To me, it's too bad we can't go to some cards featuring Andy Jurinko's art, or Dick Perez again, or Leroy Neiman.

Another set I like is the Panini Cooperstown. Their insert sets bring back what is great about our baseball, and some of the great players who have made our game so historically and personally fascinating.

Before anyone starts getting on my case here, if you like the Heritage gum stains and the rest of them, my feeling is I'll defend your right to like them. I hope you'll defend my right to hate them.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

RE: 4 box box break the last 2 days, my likes may surprise you
Interesting review. Just out of curiosity what hits did you get in Topps and Donruss? I also like the Donruss and would like it more if they could actually use the Teams name and logo.

(03-25-2015, 07:33 PM)magneto2 Wrote: Interesting review. Just out of curiosity what hits did you get in Topps and Donruss? I also like the Donruss and would like it more if they could actually use the Teams name and logo.
well, out of the heritage, one major hit, which was a Mike Trout Reversed Negative short print. I did get a John Herrnstein autograph and out of the topps, best I could do was a Archetype Mike Trout.

Now, out of the Donruss I got a nice pile of inserts. I pulled a Mike Trout Career Stat Line on the Diamond King. Also these, Mike Trout Donruss Preferred bronze, pulled 2 of the Tony Gwynn inserts, 2 nice Dominators, Salvador Perez the best. Granted none of these is a monster hit, but to me that's not the whole point. I think the Donruss inserts are much nicer than say, gum stains and the first pitch inserts from Topps & Heritage.
(03-25-2015, 07:33 PM)magneto2 Wrote: Interesting review. Just out of curiosity what hits did you get in Topps and Donruss? I also like the Donruss and would like it more if they could actually use the Teams name and logo.
oh, about the lack of Team names and logos, deep down I would like to have them also, but the quality and attractiveness of the Donruss cards, even without the logos, are vastly more appealing the the Topps cards. I have always made a set of the base topps sets as I go back so I remember the 1960's sets from Topps. I may get rid of my modern topps sets and just do some of the vintage. (I guess I'm doing this already, as I'm doing Topps Yankees teams sets on SGC registry).

Haha. I dont buy Heritage but I read everyone's posts here. I thought the gum stained backs was a really dumb idea. They are really trying to stretch the sp thing.

Panini has put out a far superior product overall compared to Topps the past couple years, imo. You cant go wrong with Donruss for the money.

(03-25-2015, 09:30 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Panini has put out a far superior product overall compared to Topps the past couple years, imo. You cant go wrong with Donruss for the money.
I agree, over the last 3 years or so, Panini is a far better product. My least favorite Panini product has been Golden Age, but I love Cooperstown and Prizm. I'd love to see some of the 2013 America's Pastime cards. It's pretty pricey though, $123 I think for 1 box with 1 pack of 10 cards. Looks like if you get really lucky you could pull a great hit, but I'm hesitant to gamble on it. Same way with 2014 Panini Classics, at about $100 per pack. The product looks nice, but do I want to gamble on it??

I'd be interested from anyone who has opened any of these products and their luck with it. Maybe I'll switch away from low cost Topps and just do high end. I do love the Tribute though, but it's getting real pricey too.

I did good with my box of Panini Classics. Pulled some nice GU as well as a Bryant auto. Thinking about picking up another box.

When you say Trout Reverse negative do you mean the color swap sp? If you do congrats that is a really nice hit. Also if you got an auto congrats! They are like 1 or 2 per case!! I like donruss also for set collecting. I miss upper deck in baseball...

(03-26-2015, 09:44 AM)magneto2 Wrote: When you say Trout Reverse negative do you mean the color swap sp? If you do congrats that is a really nice hit. Also if you got an auto congrats! They are like 1 or 2 per case!! I like donruss also for set collecting. I miss upper deck in baseball...
I'm sorry, the reverse negative shortprint was out of Donruss NOT Heritage.