`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth grading 1 of 1's?

Is it worth grading 1 of 1's?
I have a raw Elway Rookie and a Peyton Manning rookie graded 10 by advanced grading? that I had forgotten about and found recently that I am looking to send in to be graded by BGS. I figured that Since 99% of my collection is basketball that I would pick some bball cards to submit as well to lower the per card price. I have a 1 of 1 chris paul premium bonus shots card and was wondering if it would be worth it to grade due to the fact that it is the only card made will it really change the value either way?

Here is a pic of the paul and a few other cards that I was considering.
[Image: paul%201%20of%201.jpg]

I just dont know what cards are worth submitting in general, RCs, game used, rare low numbered parallels, autos etc. Thanks for your input.

Erik

RE: Is it worth grading 1 of 1's?
sweet stuff! Grading a 1/1 is generally as much/more about keeping it protected than anything else. I had one graded (pippen plate auto) because it was more consistent with the rest of my dream team auto pc as I have all of them graded. Really about personal preference at that point. It could still fetch a premium in gem mint/pristine though.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

The value of a 1/1 rarely changes because of getting it graded, however it is a nice way of protecting them. However it really depends on the 1/1, as not all are the same. If the card is 1/1 but there were a ton of other low numbered parallels, and possibly even some other 1/1 parallels of the same card than it could add some value. Just be careful as you don't want to grade a 1/1 and have it come back with a grade lower than a 8, as that will detract from the value. Personally I think the best cards to get graded are vintage cards, followed by key rookie cards, and other cards with known condition issues (yet the card you're sending in doesn't exhibit the condition issue).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

if it's for your own collection, I wouldn't waste the money. if it's something you may want to trade or sell later, AND it's going to (hopefully) get a 9.5 or better, then I'd grade it. if you don't think it would grade that high, then no sense...even a bgs 9 may bring down the value...only a bgs 9.5 or better may boost the value.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input! I'll most likely find some of my more rare kobe rookies and other star players to throw in the pile instead of the paul even though it would most likely grade 9 or higher. Its always interesting to hear different peoples point of views.

With the law of supply and demand (which is often controlled by the card companies anyway), a 1/1 is a 1/1 no matter what you do to it. In the real world, the value would not change. Unfortunately, it will in the make believe "This piece of cardboard is worth more than that one" hobby we live in.

Over thirty years ago, Beckett gave us this nugget:
"Baseball cards have no intrinsic value. They are functionally worthless as are cancelled stamps, knick knacks, empty beer cans, the Mona Lisa and pearl earrings. The value of a baseball card, as the value of these other collectables, can only be assessed by you and your enjoyment in viewing and possessing these cardboard swatches."
Beckett's "Baseball Price Guide #2" from 1980, p. 23.

If you're keeping it, go ahead and grade it just to keep it protected. If you're selling it, don't.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

As a personal preference, i would send my low numbered cards in for grading, but only if i thought they would grade above a 9.5. If it wouldn't i would only have it slabbed authentic. When it came to my 1/1s if it wouldn't grade a ten, id slab it authentic. I found that made it safe to store, but also helped to quell any reservations about the cards authenticity should i ever have to sell it.

Anything less than a 10 on a one of just seems like a waste of a grade. I remember back in the day when Donruss put Jim Thorpe baseball jerseys into absolute memorabilia. The guy sent in the 1/1 relic that was the stitched name from the back of his jersey and it graded like a 7.5 or 8. When i saw it listed for sale, i thought the grade actually detracted from the card,and i would have been willing to spend more on the card raw than to see an imperfect grade like that every time ib held the card.

Again, it's all personal preference.
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Thanks for all the input guys. I love reading peoples points of view on cards. This certainly is a crazy hobby when you take a step back and look at the values we are putting on little pieces of cardboard but I just cant stay away!