`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ready to SLOWLY start collecting again

ready to SLOWLY start collecting again
Is our money where we need it to be? No. Do I have a new baby? Yes, but I am working two jobs and starting my own personal chef business (detroit/windsor people hit me up!). But cards give me joy,a joy i want to be able to share with my son. That being said, I never want a huge, out of control collection like i had before, with a whole bunch of things that were of low value. I want to focus on quality, not quantity. Here are my focuses for baseball:
1. 1956 Topps complete set (all variations, lesser condition)
2. 1953 Topps complete set (lower condition)
3. Higher-end HOF/Old Timey autos/relics (1 auto and relic of every HOF)
4. Complete t206 set (obviously thats a long term goal)
5. Higher end Detroit Tigers
6. Higher end vintage

Opinions on the new direction? I am just tired of having cards that no one, even myself, feels have value that, if I ever do decide to move them, will get me .50 on ebay. I want a collection that not only will i love, but that has financial value. Nothing was more devistating than when i had to sell my collection that took ten years to build, which i had invested most of the money I had earned/been given from the age of 12 on, only to have it sell for 2k.

No, its not all about the money, but i definitely dont want to take a kick to the jewels like that again! Lol

RE: ready to SLOWLY start collecting again
There's a million directions you could go in. Rest assured you can have the same fun and drive you had as a child and make good investments in the process. Your going to have to study the market and really follow players career trajectories but it's very doable.

(03-24-2015, 09:01 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: There's a million directions you could go in. Rest assured you can have the same fun and drive you had as a child and make good investments in the process. Your going to have to study the market and really follow players career trajectories but it's very doable.
Thats why I mainly want vintage...theyre dead, shoet of someone finding some unknown letters, you pretty much know the kind of person they were. That was the big problem with my last collection, i didn't prospect at all, and my RCs, which made up a nice hunk of my collection, were worthless.

But ya, strongly prefer vintage players, only modern stuff i want is of vintage guys and really nice tigers cards...i dont want prsopects, just "safe" choices
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(03-24-2015, 09:03 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: Thats why I mainly want vintage...theyre dead, shoet of someone finding some unknown letters, you pretty much know the kind of person they were. That was the big problem with my last collection, i didn't prospect at all, and my RCs, which made up a nice hunk of my collection, were worthless.

But ya, strongly prefer vintage players, only modern stuff i want is of vintage guys and really nice tigers cards...i dont want prsopects, just "safe" choices
The problem your going to run into with that is ungraded vintage does not and will not increase in value and condition is extremely subjective. If your buying cards that are sold to you or viewed as near mint and you get into a situation where you need to sell, you may find that your cards are closer to excellent. Or worse. Your not going to get tremendous deals on hof vintage. Counter that with it will not increase in value and you have no hope of ever even breaking even.
If your going after graded vintage you'll need to get it in desirable enough grades that there is a constant demand on it. This stuff goes up quite a bit but is also extremely expensive.
The easiest way to try to increase the value of a collection is to invest in good players early enough in their careers that there's room for their cards to grow. You'll have to figure out who those players are obviously, but this is the least expensive option. Your going to find that every few years you'll need to repeat the process because eventually, most players cards plateau.

(03-24-2015, 09:15 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: The problem your going to run into with that is ungraded vintage does not and will not increase in value and condition is extremely subjective. If your buying cards that are sold to you or viewed as near mint and you get into a situation where you need to sell, you may find that your cards are closer to excellent. Or worse. Your not going to get tremendous deals on hof vintage. Counter that with it will not increase in value and you have no hope of ever even breaking even.
If your going after graded vintage you'll need to get it in desirable enough grades that there is a constant demand on it. This stuff goes up quite a bit but is also extremely expensive.
The easiest way to try to increase the value of a collection is to invest in good players early enough in their careers that there's room for their cards to grow. You'll have to figure out who those players are obviously, but this is the least expensive option. Your going to find that every few years you'll need to repeat the process because eventually, most players cards plateau.
But I'm too lazy for that lol i'd rather get zero return on investment and have it stay relatively consistent. I mean, as long as i do my homework, while i won't make a profit normally i should at least ALMOST break even off i have to sell

(03-24-2015, 09:28 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: But I'm too lazy for that lol i'd rather get zero return on investment and have it stay relatively consistent. I mean, as long as i do my homework, while i won't make a profit normally i should at least ALMOST break even off i have to sell
Your free to do as you please. All I can say is people who are forced into selling off their collections and have time constraints rarely ever get what they need or deserve due to desperation.

(03-24-2015, 10:09 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Your free to do as you please. All I can say is people who are forced into selling off their collections and have time constraints rarely ever get what they need or deserve due to desperation.
And i understand that, what im saying is that, over the years, because i didnt rotate current players, the value of my collection went down because they were players no one wanted. Besides, on a personal note, im an old timey guy, i play on a vintage baseball team, new guys other than local boys dont interest me
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75