`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Something I've never understood...

Something I've never understood...
I was wondering if someone could explain this trading thing that has always been there, but I've seen popping up more and more often.

I get a trade offer... "Check me for this card please". $25 BV auto, with recent sales in the $15-17 range...

I check their org, pick a $25 BV card I like, with eBay sales in the exact same range, and then receive the message "sorry can't do it for that card. Could you find something else?"

Even though I personally don't mind trading down, as long as values line up, I'm picking up PC items, and any filler cards are cards I can use... And I understand why others won't. However, the example above has always been confusing to me, particularly when you ask someone to check you for a card...

Everyone has their own trade economy, but in general, if I am showing interest in a card and ask to be checked for it or send an offer, I am trading the things that are marked for trade in my org 99% of the time as long as it's fair value.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm trying to understand this.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

RE: Something I've never understood...
I know where you are coming from... and I sort of look at it like this. For example, I collect Ernie Banks Cards. I send an offer over to someone for a card I am missing and would like, for example, a 1958 Topps Ernie Banks. It's a vintage, HOF'er card. Now, even though that other person may have a bunch of wants for the 2014 Topps Base Set, I can understand how he would not want to get a bunch of stars / semi-stars or even commons for a single HOF'er card.

In the same vain, I am not interested in trading a Trout Auto for some set fillers.

Now, on the contrary, I may "over-pay" for a Banks card that I really want badly.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though book value or recent eBay value might be equal, there's some intrinsic value that can be added or subtracted to the cards in a trade based on how important or not important, those cards might be to the current owner.

Just my two cents...
Thanks,
- Steve

I dont know Dominic... some traders on here have some strange rational. While I dont get some some of the offers I receive or the comments that follow, I dont even question it anymore. I just figure guys have their own system.

Oh, and one more point... the 3 options when canceling a trade are not all that valuable! For example, I used to think "Cannot Locate a Card" meant that I could not find a card in the other guys collection, but I guess it really means that there's a card in the trade on my side that I could not find.

I often times select, not interested in trading at this time even though that's very generic. So, don't read too much into that I guess is what I'm saying (at least when trading with me).

I normally why in the in the comments of the trade before canceling.
Thanks,
- Steve

First thought is they like the card you requested more than the one they wanted from you. I have been asking for Texas Rangers autos and many times they ask for cards that are hard to part with for old scrubs.
Second thought is they are trying to sell and you wanted a card that sells for as much , so no trade.

(02-24-2015, 10:50 AM)dustin12368 Wrote: First thought is they like the card you requested more than the one they wanted from you. I have been asking for Texas Rangers autos and many times they ask for cards that are hard to part with for old scrubs.
Second thought is they are trying to sell and you wanted a card that sells for as much , so no trade.
Old scrubs are completely understandable... And the selling part would make sense too.

Here is an example of my favorite from a year ago... I was sent an offer for a Dan Gladden archives auto. I checked the traders ORG, and there was nothing I could use. I saw the guy was a Twins fan (don't think he is active anymore), so I tried to help him out and picked an Allan Trammell Sticker auto... Same BV, same Ebay sell range of $5-6, same good but not great and non-HOF retired vet status... And ultimately, a card I had not use for whatsoever... Response "Can't do it for the Trammel" trade cancelled. Added to my short no-response list after that.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

[quote='dustin12368' pid='2532744' dateline='1424793017']
First thought is they like the card you requested more than the one they wanted from you.

This right here

I have a trade offer right now where one of the cards someone wants is a little more important to me then the card I want from them. The trade has been sitting right now for about 4 days. I am not sure what I want to do with the trade.

(02-24-2015, 11:08 AM)petillo64 Wrote: Old scrubs are completely understandable... And the selling part would make sense too.

Here is an example of my favorite from a year ago... I was sent an offer for a Dan Gladden archives auto. I checked the traders ORG, and there was nothing I could use. I saw the guy was a Twins fan (don't think he is active anymore), so I tried to help him out and picked an Allan Trammell Sticker auto... Same BV, same Ebay sell range of $5-6, same good but not great and non-HOF retired vet status... And ultimately, a card I had not use for whatsoever... Response "Can't do it for the Trammel" trade cancelled. Added to my short no-response list after that.
Huh, I could probably use that Trammell auto. Smile

I try to go by BV exclusively when trading. I have no problem trading an auto for commons I need, and have no problems going the opposite way. My theory is, if I have a card listed for trade I don't want it...so why not use it to get cards I do want. We all collect differently. Guys who go after high end will trade differently than somebody like me who go after a team, regardless of value, and build base sets. If I have a $10 auto but need $10 of 1995 Fleers to finish off that set, the commons set is more important to my collection than the auto.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is in the right context, but I have folks ask for a card. Then I look at their ORG. They have 10,000 cards. 9,000/10,000 are $0.05 -$0.25 cards. The 1000 other cards really do interest me, but The filter system in ORG frustrates me to no end, since you can't search by value or value range.
i.e. I might trade a $20 card for three $6.00 cards, but chances are I wouldn't be interested in four hundred $0.05 cards.... But to get through 1,000 pages of trade cards just isn't worth my time. Basically, my biggest gripe is with the filter and functionality of ORG and not the Traders. When I have the time to trade, I love it, but sometimes it's easier just to buy the card off eBay and be done with the whole ordeal.

Again, my disclaimer: I'm slow to trade and rarely check offers, especially moreso now that the C2C tab is hidden ... Making it just one more step away from convenient Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Some people are emotionally tied to certain cards and as stated above like the card they have more than what they want from you. I run into this every now and then.