Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Card Game! HELP!
Brick 
New to the Card Game! HELP!
Was wondering what are the good packs to buy? I more into the collecting of the cards for my newborn son. I have purchased some prestige plus and premiums and some hoop packs but don't know if I am wasting my time or purchasing the right ones. any info would be much appreciated.

RE: New to the Card Game! HELP!
IT really depends on what you are interested in spending, Hoops and Prestige are nice lower end products, but you won't have as good of a chance at pulling a big hit in the lower end stuff. Prizm is a really fun break, also Court Kings is a really nice product for the price. Once you start getting into the mid-high end stuff, you won't really be able to buy packs, A box is basically one pack in most cases. I would go with Prizm or Court Kings personally if I was looking to rip packs. Good luck, and hopefully that helps.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Yeah court kings is probably the best afforadable product out there. Great designs. Upper Deck products have MJ autographs (good) but no pro uniforms (bad). If I were busting new product (and actually had any money), I largely agree with TBarn on Court Kings and Prizm and would throw in some boxes from 2012-13 (select and immaculate are my favs of that year) to go for Kyrie and Anthony Davis RC autos.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

Welcome to the boards. I agree with what TBarn and Buck said so I won't repeat it. What I will add that I did not know when I first got into the hobby (2013) is that there are so many products released each year it is tough to keep track of them all. You can't go wrong with Prestige, especially for 2014-15 product. Based on what you said you have bought I would assume so far you have hit up the hobby section at a Target or Walmart. I would strong recommended seeing if there are any local card shops (referred to as LCS on these forums) in your area. The packs at big stores will have a ton of base cards and are referred to as retail packs. The packs at the hobby stores, referred to as hobby packs, may have less cards but more inserts, game-used relics and autographs. At these shops you will find packs that are $10.00 and under (Hoops, Prizm, etc) and then product that is in the $20-50 per pack range. Generally these mid-range products will guarantee a "hit" per pack. Finally you'll find high-end and super high end where an entire box of only 10-15 cards can cost $200-1000. It really depends on your budget and collecting goals. Based on what you have already grabbed I would recommend Pinnacle from the 2013-14 release and the upcoming 2014-15 Donruss release.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

Do not buy packs. Buy singles off eBay of player's that YOU like or player's you think have the potential to be the next generation of "superstars". I personally wouldn't buy cards from a Walmart or Target. You have pack searchers and if the packs are loose people could easily damage the cards. If there's an LCS near you then I'd suggest to go there. I would be careful with buying boxes too as it can get addicting and costly, unless you can afford it. Be careful and good luck! It's pretty cool a father is trying to start a collection for his son..
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Really appreciate the feedback fellas! Here is another noob question. Where is the LCS section in the forums?

Lcs means "local card shop."

For my money I'd collect vintage! Vintage unopened products are skyrocketing right now and who knows if they will come down. Another idea is collecting vintage rookies and stars from the four major sports. These athletes have already proven themselves and the prices are already established, and most likely aren't going to plummet.

(02-24-2015, 03:52 AM)vgqv Wrote: It's pretty cool a father is trying to start a collection for his son..
Depending on our ages, if some of our Dads did that for us, we'd be rich!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

So I went to my local shop I found, bought a 2014-15 Gold Standard and Pulled a Auto/Jrsy Jabari Parker and some other cool decent cards. Might be addicted.

(03-01-2015, 09:19 PM)MikeTheDeal Wrote: So I went to my local shop I found, bought a 2014-15 Gold Standard and Pulled a Auto/Jrsy Jabari Parker and some other cool decent cards. Might be addicted.
Nice hit! Straight to GS huh? You're in trouble!
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]