`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Proof of an important subgrade!!

Proof of an important subgrade!!
Before I begin, I just want to say this is not about anyone or anything in particular, it is just an observation. I have run into numerous listings on websites stating the condition of a card to be mint because the corners are great and surface is spotless but the card is off centered. Many people feel that centering doesn't really affect the condition of a card and for some reason a lot of collectors and sellers don't really care too much about centering to list it as a flaw with their card. It is the first thing you usually notice when you look at a card. Sometimes you cannot make out the centering in pictures due to lighting issues with their scanner or the flash from a camera. I found this card on the bay and it is a perfect example of how an off centered card can affect the condition of a card and its value.
[Image: proofofgrade_zps491135b8.jpg]

RE: Proof of an important subgrade!!
(02-21-2015, 12:01 PM)joba the clark Wrote: Before I begin, I just want to say this is not about anyone or anything in particular, it is just an observation. I have run into numerous listings on websites stating the condition of a card to be mint because the corners are great and surface is spotless but the card is off centered. Many people feel that centering doesn't really affect the condition of a card and for some reason a lot of collectors and sellers don't really care too much about centering to list it as a flaw with their card. It is the first thing you usually notice when you look at a card. Sometimes you cannot make out the centering in pictures due to lighting issues with their scanner or the flash from a camera. I found this card on the bay and it is a perfect example of how an off centered card can affect the condition of a card and its value.
[Image: proofofgrade_zps491135b8.jpg]
Yeah, I hear you on that.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

People often forget that when Beckett grades cards, they NEVER give the total value (8, 8.5, 9 etc.) more than one full point above the lowest grade. Such as your example listed above. This is right off their website:

"Also, please note that the final grade rarely, if ever, exceeds two levels above the lowest of the four characteristic grades. For example, if a card has characteristic grades of Centering 10, Corners 6, Edges 10 and Surface 10, the final grade will be a "7" (of which is exactly two grading levels above the lowest characteristic grade)."

It makes a HUGE difference if something is way off.

Did you buy that card off ebay, or just find the pic? I ask because I want it.

(02-21-2015, 01:14 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Did you buy that card off ebay, or just find the pic? I ask because I want it.
For $2,650 OBO it can be yours..... That card will probably be sitting there for awhile.
[Image: m5GDmvD.png]

Want List
- 2006 Craig Biggio SP Authentic By the Letter "B" "O"
- 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones

(02-21-2015, 01:14 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Did you buy that card off ebay, or just find the pic? I ask because I want it.
No I was just looking on ebay and it was a great example of how centering affects the condition of a card. I try to avoid buying off centered cards at all costs.

(02-21-2015, 01:37 PM)joba the clark Wrote: I try to avoid buying off centered cards at all costs.
Me too. I think it takes away from the appeal of the card.

(02-21-2015, 01:31 PM)Odyssey Wrote: For $2,650 OBO it can be yours..... That card will probably be sitting there for awhile.
Yup. Just saw it. If that seller was smart, they would have cut that card out of there and sold it ungraded. Nobody's paying that for that card now.

(02-21-2015, 02:17 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Yup. Just saw it. If that seller was smart, they would have cut that card out of there and sold it ungraded. Nobody's paying that for that card now.
+1 itll be there forever at that asking price!!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(02-21-2015, 08:47 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: +1 itll be there forever at that asking price!!!
I doubt seller is looking for full or near asking price... but a raw gold with terrible 80/20 centering top to bottom sold for 1100, I'd guess this wouldn't have too much difficulty fetching north of that... Too bad BGS doesn't offer qualifiers like PSA Does! This badboy would be gem 9.5 (OC) all day!

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint