`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toys r Us, Target and Wal Mart

Toys r Us, Target and Wal Mart
Does anybody know why the purple bordered Topps cards from Toys r Us have a higher bv than the red and blue bordered cards from Target and Wal Mart. I bought two packs from Toys r Us yesterday of 2015 Topps. Each pack had 12 cards and 3 purple bordered cards. Each pack cost $2.99. The 6 purple cars have a bv of $34 combined and I got a bunch of nobodys.

RE: Toys r Us, Target and Wal Mart
In the past the TRU purple have been harder to find in good shape because they were packed loose in the packaging and not sealed inside packs like the Target and Walmart parallels. So the purple cards got banged around a lot. Also there has always been the perception that the TRU parallels were printed in less numbers than the walmart and target ones. Not sure if that has ever been definitively proven though.

For what it's worth this year there are no Walmart or Target parallels so the Purples are in higher demand.
Also book value and real world value (Ebay sold auctions) are two totally different things. Just a quick look at sold prices on ebay and most are selling in the $1-$3 range with your bigger names and top rookies going for more.

For instance any Yankees scrub guy will always go for a premium but on average your average run of the mill player on a run of the mill team will sell in that $1-$3 range.

Very hard to find that's why, some people don't even know they sell cards there. I know I didn't for awhile till I saw them in org for Goldy.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

The Toys r Us store I went to had a section of sports cards and others like Pokemon etc that was bigger than either the Target or Wal Mart near me. Besides, whenever I went to Toys r Us for toys for my son, the cards were right in the middle of the aisle by the checkouts. You couldn't miss them. MY son is 20 so we quit toy shopping there a long time ago.
(02-14-2015, 11:02 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: In the past the TRU purple have been harder to find in good shape because they were packed loose in the packaging and not sealed inside packs like the Target and Walmart parallels. So the purple cards got banged around a lot. Also there has always been the perception that the TRU parallels were printed in less numbers than the walmart and target ones. Not sure if that has ever been definitively proven though.

For what it's worth this year there are no Walmart or Target parallels so the Purples are in higher demand.
Also book value and real world value (Ebay sold auctions) are two totally different things. Just a quick look at sold prices on ebay and most are selling in the $1-$3 range with your bigger names and top rookies going for more.

For instance any Yankees scrub guy will always go for a premium but on average your average run of the mill player on a run of the mill team will sell in that $1-$3 range.
I only use real world values for when I buy something, which isn't often. I use book value when I trade here on Beckett. It's a much better way to determine value in a trade.

I've also heard the theory that in the past they are a bit more in BV because Toys R Us usually charges more for their blasters than the other two.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I know the toys R Us near me charges more then Walmart or Target.

(02-14-2015, 01:29 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: I've also heard the theory that in the past they are a bit more in BV because Toys R Us usually charges more for their blasters than the other two.
+1. Higher value because they are (1) rarer and (2) blasters are $26 a box verses $20. You can make out though if you can catch a general store sale. I've usually picked them up for my Phillies team rainbows, but they are last on my list. (I personaly don't like how they look....verses say chrome)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I don't believe the Purple parallels are in blasters. Can anyone confirm this? I have only seen them included 3 with a pack at TRU.

This year's have shiny purple borders. I buy most of my packs at TRU because even though I pay $2.99 per pack, I know I'm getting at least $15 worth of purple parallels in addition. And if I happen to get lucky and get a Jeter or a Trout (like I did last year) then that's pay-dirt. Nothing like spending $3 on a pack and pulling a $100 Jeter parallel.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-15-2015, 08:16 AM)zeprock Wrote: I don't believe the Purple parallels are in blasters. Can anyone confirm this? I have only seen them included 3 with a pack at TRU.

This year's have shiny purple borders. I buy most of my packs at TRU because even though I pay $2.99 per pack, I know I'm getting at least $15 worth of purple parallels in addition. And if I happen to get lucky and get a Jeter or a Trout (like I did last year) then that's pay-dirt. Nothing like spending $3 on a pack and pulling a $100 Jeter parallel.
Your right Zep....it's been 3 years since I purchased cards at TRU. Purple borders are in packs only. I still think the cheapest "pack" you can purchase in my area is $4.99 @ TRU so I don't even bother.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I was at TRU the other day ... Figured it was a good way to use the 50 cent coupons from Topps. 3 packs at $2.49 each seems a little better, and like ZepRock said ... Might get a Jeter! This year, the purple borders look better, and with the infrequency of finding any SP cards in Target and Walmart (so far this year), I might make a few more TRU runs before these are gone.
[Image: B4869997-D1CC-480D-B0D0-337A97AC7392_zpsk7k7jix5.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.