IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Benchmark and a new addition

A New Benchmark and a new addition
After seeing that 52 Mantle everything else seems anticlimactic Sad
But I'll try to forge ahead. Smile

Anyway, here's a card of a terrific Ballplayer, Hall of Famer, and a great guy ... Then why did I developed a hatred of him? In the national league he was considered the best at his position, had a good bat and a great arm. He was a key player in a very successful organization.
This player's AL counterpart was considered the best at his position in his league. in fact, in 1976 he was tearing it up. He had a great bat and a good arm. He was the heart and soul of his team. Eventually these 2 men faced off against each other in the Fall classic.
Yep, I'm talking Johnny Bench vs. Thurman Munson. As a Little League catcher, I emulated Thurman, my only problem, my folks wouldn't let me grow a mustache Sad although they let me grow my sideburns. Smile
That year Thurman Munson carried the Yanks into the WS. He was on fire. Bench didn't hit as good as Munson thoughout the year, but really stepped it up in the post season. Munson batted like .500 while Johnny beat him by hitting like .525 ... So Thurman was always just in the Shadow of Bench ... Always considered 2nd best, by sportscasters, newspapers and most National League fans. I loved Munson and the Yankees' defeat by the Big Red Machine in the 1976 WS helped to fuel my resentment of Johnny Bench. Of course we all know that Thurman died, while Bench continued his respectable Hall of Fame career. But my resentment grew when Thurman didn't make it into the Hall. If Thurman Munson lived longer, his stats would have easily made him Hall worthy. His Batting Average, Slugging Percentage, and Defensive skills were up to par or surpassed Bench. ... I now understand, but was a little bitter in my youth. Over the years my resentment decreased as my baseball wisdom increased. My respect for Bench never needed to be diminished by my love of Thurman. Besides, Johnny's sig is pretty darned sweet and his auto is much easier to find ... And a little more affordable. Smile
I needed to have one, and I think Munson would forgive me for the acquisition. Smile

[Image: CE5730B5-CBCF-4FBC-AAE7-99D04DF4CCF6_zpsbhocss2k.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: A New Benchmark and a new addition
That is very nice!
Mostly football and a set builder

Nice addition and nice story to go with it! I was sucked into it! lol
[Image: image.jpg]

Great piece!! great auto!! I think we should forget about the 52 topps mantle thread :p LOL all my cards seem like pennies now......
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Great pickup, Doc! And an even better story! He does have a sweet signature, that's for sure.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Munson, Munson, Munson. The second best catcher in the AL behind Carlton Fisk. Smile

Honestly Munson was great and it's too bad he isn't in the Hall of Fame.
Oh, sweet Bench card by the way.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Great looking card. Bench was one of the best. The Big Red Machine what a team. Bench, Morgan, Perez, Rose were the big names in that lineup.

(02-12-2015, 02:18 PM)zeprock Wrote: Munson, Munson, Munson. The second best catcher in the AL behind Carlton Fisk. Smile

Honestly Munson was great and it's too bad he isn't in the Hall of Fame.
Oh, sweet Bench card by the way.
Actually, The were pretty evenly matched! Fisk's 11 seasons with the Red Sox and Munson's 11 seasons with the Yanks were close, really close. Same time frame, too. Munson's Batting Average was a little higher, Fisk's HR numbers were a little more (and what right handed batter wouldn't have a few extra dingers over the Green Monster as compared to Yankees Stadium's left field Death Valley?)
Pudge certainly had durability and he put up some great career numbers. And his game winning HR was legendary! That's why he's in the Hall.
It would have been nice to see if Munson could have played as well for as long.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.