`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basketball Pioneer Earl Lloyd

Basketball Pioneer Earl Lloyd
I saw players warming up tonight wearing shirts reminding me of February being Black History Month. I decided to post my Earl Lloyd basketball card.
Earl Lloyd was the first African American to play in the NBA, October 31, 1950. That's only 64 years ago....

The 1957 Topps is his RC.
[Image: img573.jpg]

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1570337.html

Earl Lloyd: A Basketball Pioneer | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

Earl Lloyd | biography - American basketball player | Encyclopedia Britannica

RE: Basketball Pioneer Earl Lloyd
Great card, I love reading about the older players and seeing cards of them.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

I love reading up on history like this. I was wondering if anyone knows the address to send an autograph request to for Earl Lloyd. I would love to add his autograph to my collection.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I got interested in finding out more and came to find out that there were 2 other players, Nat "Sweetwater" Clifton and Charles Cooper, that were also in the NBA in 1950. In fact each one is credited as being the 1st depending on which website you read, though I think it is semantics regarding 1st to play, 1st to sign a contract, 1st to be drafted, etc.

Earl Lloyd played in a game on the night of October 31, 1950
Charles Cooper played in a game on November 1st, 1950
Nat Clifton played in a game on November 3rd, 1950

Cooper was the 1st to be drafted, as he was selected in the 2nd round of the NBA draft on April 25th, 1950, however both Clifton and Llyod were also drafted that year, just in later rounds.
Of the 3, Clifton was the 1st to sign to an NBA contract, on May 24, 1950.

So while Lloyd would get the distinction as being the 1st to play in a game (literally by a matter of days), I think all 3 players should be mentioned when it comes to breaking the color barrier in the NBA.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

In fact each one is credited as being the 1st depending on which website you read, though I think it is semantics regarding 1st to play, 1st to sign a contract, 1st to be drafted, etc. ???
GuL

(02-09-2015, 04:04 AM)killlereye Wrote: In fact each one is credited as being the 1st depending on which website you read, though I think it is semantics regarding 1st to play, 1st to sign a contract, 1st to be drafted, etc. ???
Cooper was the 1st drafted
Clifton was the 1st to sign a contract
Lloyd was the 1st to play in a game

However, all 3 were drafted in the same draft, signed contracts the same year, and played in a game within a few days of each other. So the distinction is not as clear cut as it was with Jackie Robinson in baseball.

I just read this......RIP

Earl Lloyd, first black player in NBA history, dead at 86 - NY Daily News