`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Feelings on buying Press Pass products?

Feelings on buying Press Pass products?
The prices have not changed much on 2014 PP Racing, so what products have redemptions in them, will those be fulfilled (no!), and is the risk worth buying any of it (none of it was that great, IMO, anyway)?

Example is 2014 Legends definitely has a couple redemptions...so did 2014 TM...

What is everyone's plans?
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

RE: Feelings on buying Press Pass products?
IF I ever get caught up with my needs list i would buy products. The legends redemptions most were low level any way marcis, donnie allison. the thing that would hurt my soul would be to pull a lithograph win card and never be able to redeem it. Good thing even the redemption card will be worth a little something to those collectors that are completist. Not real big money but you can selll them.

CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

Though there were a few redemptions, Press Pass was never as bad as Topps and Panini with the number of redemptions. I would...er, will...continue to buy Press Pass products when I feel the need to rip something. Anyhow, as a NASCAR card collector, what other choice do we have right now?
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

I believe that Five Star and Showcase products were the ones with the most redemption's in them. I think that most of the 2014 low-level sets redemption's were for Carl Edwards AU's.
I wouldn't even THINK about buying a Five Star box (from any year) unless it was down to about $100. I wouldn't buy 2011-13 Showcase for more than $50. If I am going to buy boxes of PP cards from the last three years, it would probably be from sets that I have very little cards of in my overall collection.
I agree with Jason though. I will still buy products when I can afford them, but only if I think the price is right. For example, the collector's AND flipper's have been jumping all over 2015 Cup Chase boxes since the PP closure announcement. The prices are now up to a minimum of $170/box and they are driving it higher by the week as supply runs out. I wasn't going to risk it at $130/box, so I don't guess I'll ever get to break one of those boxes. I would be happy to pick up hobby boxes of Eclipse and VIP from years that I didn't get to buy one, along with several other sets.
BTW, how messed up would it be if PP releases another announcement on February 5th (one month after the closure announcement) to say that they are resuming business and the production of cards? It would seem like a great tactical ploy to sell off most of the excess product still in the inventory of card stores/warehouses. I think that would be horrible and I would never buy another product of theirs (past, present, future).
What I would like to hear is that another company bought their assets and brands, as long as it isn't Topps!!!

There were redemptions for a couple of Tony Stewart Auto cards (low numbered, like out of /10 and /5) listed on eBay...I don't remember which product they were from...I thought it was Total Memorabilia...

So. my take is this:

2014 Five Star is going to collect dust for a long time on a lot of shelves, redemptions or not. At $550 or so a box, I just can't pull the trigger, as much as I want to pull a Jumbo Patch Booklet Auto 1/1, but maybe at $200 a box? Maybe...but if there are redemptions, I'll pass.

Now, Showcase, at $80 a box...I like the cards, but that is already a risky break, even at that price point, and if there are redemptions in it...I'll buy singles, I guess.

If Press Pass comes back after closing the doors, I will be shocked...they could have filed for Bankruptcy Protection, so it wasn't exactly that...there must not have been any margin left, regardless of what they did, to continue to operate. It's a dog business if the volume is not there versus the cost of design and manufacturing and distribution and licensing.

I haven't seen much on the interview front since the early January news item.

So, tell me this...why wouldn't NASCAR just hire a couple of those creative guys that worked at Press Pass and put out there own product? Why does it need to be ahrid party? They already market their own product better than anyone else, and if was/is an officially licensed NASCAR product/item, it would create a larger groundswell from the NASCAR fan base...

If I were a marketing guy, that's what I would do, but i guess there is no money to be made from just sitting there and selling the licensing, so when there is actual work involved, it's a loser idea...
Looking for:
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

www.dunnere.weebly.com

(01-30-2015, 09:50 AM)dunnere Wrote: So, tell me this...why wouldn't NASCAR just hire a couple of those creative guys that worked at Press Pass and put out there own product? Why does it need to be ahrid party? They already market their own product better than anyone else, and if was/is an officially licensed NASCAR product/item, it would create a larger groundswell from the NASCAR fan base...
Not too shabby of an idea. But since they don't already have the infrastructure to manufacture cards, they really should just streamline the licensing process...from what I can tell (other than the smaller market), the licensing is the biggest complaint from the card companies. If NASCAR could make the process easier, maybe a company would bite?

Speaking of card companies, I know we've all named possibilities, but I thought of one I haven't heard mentioned yet...what about Rittenhouse? Didn't they do at least an Indy set in '06 or '07? Other than that set, I am unsure of how much racing they have done, but maybe another possibility?
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

If I had the money, I would buy some of what is still out there as far as Press Pass.

Jason,
Can you please get to this: NASCAR Trivia Thread
I collect J. Johnson, K. Larson, C. Elliott, E. Jones & The Cleveland Browns
Photobucket Links are Below.

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/OurNUT...ace%20Used

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/NASCARRay/library/?sort=3&page=1

NASCAR will not make cards because NASCAR doesnt really make or do anything. they just let people pay them for the right to make/sell stuff.

Look at daytona usa. Its only open like 2 weeks a year now. The hof isnt doing much better. Why because nascar wants someone else to put the bill, them control it and then get paid for using their name.

They need to quit honoring family members. we get it france family is nascar. They need to eliminate any future licensing fees. IT should be used as a marketing toolmuseum. Never meant to make money just break even to keep it going for the future and past of the sport.

Rittenhouse didnt do well with the irl program so nascar probably will not be in the future.

CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

(01-31-2015, 07:20 PM)shelbysaleen Wrote: NASCAR will not make cards because NASCAR doesnt really make or do anything. they just let people pay them for the right to make/sell stuff.
Ya, that's sort of the conclusion I got to as I was writing that "idea" down...there is no easier money to be made than selling the licensing rights and letting somebody else do all the work and take all of the risk...

But the sport, while popular, is not the marketing machine that it once was (or ever really was...a lot of rose tinted glasses in the world)...TV ratings are down over the past five years. So sell out the tracks each week (I am guessing this happens still), but there comes a time when the realization that the old guard is getting left in the dust by the world it is trying to collect from.

So, the point is, creating a marketing device, expanding the marketing opportunities, and selling races for a TV market that is dwindling as it finds better things to do than sit and watch a 3.5 hours race (that will proably end with half the field at least a lap down and one the same six or ten guys winning) should be the NASCAR goal...but, Michael, you are right...it just is not...

Ha, is it any wonder that the one company that had all of its eggs (essentially) in the NASCAR basket could not make money making a NASCAR product?

And as the weeks pass and no one is stepping up to manufacture trading cards, it is obviously a loser business...and the whole NASCAR model is starting to look like a loser business, ready to be relegated to the second tier of sports...again...

Daytona vewers over the last five years:
2014: 3.526 million
2013: 5.722 million
2012: 7.467 million
2011: 7.847 million
2010: 8.187 million

Super Bowl viewers, last five years:
2015: not announced yet (but probably over 113 million)
2014: 112.2 million
2013: 108.4 million
2012: 111.3 million
2011: 111.0 million

Forget about the orders of magnitude difference (although that is hard to miss, too), but look at the trend.

OK, unfair to compare to the NFL? Maybe...so how about a comparison to MLB, which has certainly seen its numbers dwindle since the mid 80s-90s.

World Series average viewers:
2014 13.8M
2013 14.9M
2012 12.7M
2011 16.6M
2010 14.3M

Looks fairly consistent, at least, and that is that many viewers over at least four games...

NASCAR is trending down...although I will say that Homestead has been pretty decent over the last five years:
2014 5.223 millon
2013 5.118 million
2012 4.769 million
2011 6.799 million
2010 5.605 million

Well, whatever...I will watch, I will try to finish the sets/PC stuff I have, and let NASCAR do what it wants...
Looking for:
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

www.dunnere.weebly.com