Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Becoming a PC low baller??

Becoming a PC low baller??
I have a question for you guys?

Most of you know who I PC but for those who don't
1. Brian Hartline
2. Most other phins, Marino mainly

I am going to be realistic and not biased based on my PC. Hartline had a bad year this year, to average NFL fan, he had a sub par year. Not related to his bad year, The price of his cards do not change. Understandable.

Believe it or not, I pay a lot attention to Brian Hartline cards. I know what the cards are worth and what they are selling for. (Sarcasm lol)

Example: I have seen many 1/1s ranging from plates to national treasure graded 9 cards. Which that price range from said cards above was $5-22. Do I, myself, think those cards are worth more? Yes. Did those cards sell for more? No. The fact is, that without a fixed price to deal with. A national treasures 1/1 nike patch with a Beckett grade of 9 went for $22!!

So here is the question??
After seeing a lot of plates sell for $5-10, am I a low baller for offering $10??
Clearly I am offering the value, even the high side of that.
After seeing high end, 1/1s, graded cards sell for $15-35. am I a low baller for offering $30-70 for 1/1s??

Problem-
If a Seller has a BIN set to $200, of course the real value of the card is wayyyy off the price. So that makes me a low baller for offering the value of a card? Of course I want a deal, not 200-300% profit for seller.

I've been able to buy 3 1/1s and some parallels in 4 months!! This is starting to get ridiculous and yes, it has made me think twice about my favorite hobby. It has been this way for a while now. But I can't keep over paying for stuff that I must have. I have to put money away just to get anything. I've had to pay in the 100s for cards that would sell for 20-30 in auction. It's very disheartening...

RE: Becoming a PC low baller??
Some sellers are like that. I have seen cards that I want, that book in the $60-100 range, be offered at a BIN price of $250! Why? Because you can't find it, and the seller is just looking for that sucker that will pay it. Don't give in and keep the offers going. They will give up after a (long) while when nothing else comes in the way of an offer and accept yours one day.

True hobbyists like us should not be put off by those that want the fast bucks. We would gladly trade down for cards that we want, and occasionally pay a touch more for the ones that we desire. Don't hang on a seller or two that has this as a profession. They only see their bills and bank accounts. We see our passion.

Randi

I do not think offering a price which is way below BIN is bad form, especially if you believe the price you are offering is fair market value for the item in question. When making a lower offer you can also type in an accompanying message, if you choose to, letting the seller know that the offer is not meant to insult his/her intelligence, or something to that effect. Keep in mind though that you have limited characters to work with.

Last year there was a 1/1 Curtis Enis card listed online seemingly forever that I wanted with a listed BIN price of $2,500 (no lie). I think I offered $50-$60, which would most likely be the resultant ending auction price if it was listed that way instead with a low starting bid price, without embarrassment because 2.5K is lunacy IMHO. I attribute this asking price to the possible sentimental value that the owner had for the card and was reluctant to give it up.

As a collector I have come to grips with the fact that I most likely will never own ever card of any contemporary player that I collect, and I am okay with that.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I agree about paying the true value of cards. I struggle with this a lot. Trying to add Franklin 1/1s and finish some rainbows, I really like him out of college, thought he'd be the answer for the Pack. Instead, he played one game, was injured, and is now out of the NFL. Yet guys are still trying to get $100 plus for his 1/1 cards. I refuse to pay that. I send offers I think are fair. To reinforce the point, not one of the cards I've put an offer on that was refused, has sold yet, going back a year lol. One guy actually contacted me 4mos later asking if I was still willing to pay my first offer because no one would offer more. I have no problem doing that with unreasonable BIN. I've missed cards because of this philosophy, but I can't afford to go over budget.
I actually see it as a good thing, leveling out the hobby by not overpaying for backups, or low end stuff. Some of these card prices are insane!

I think, personally, that you get what you can for what you can. I've gotten cards that I see go for a lot more than what i just paid, and I've paid a lot more than what I wanted to based on whether I needed the card or not, or if it was just a random purchase. If I can get something for lower than what I think it's worth, I call that a win! I liken it to balancing out with the ones that I pay too much for because I'm building a rainbow, or just really want the card.

One instance really pops into my mind with this. Back when Panini was doing the 2012 Prizm Pylon auctions, I was watching from the very beginning. The first couple of days, before everybody and their brother got into buying them to flip them on eBay, most of them were going for under 40 bucks for non-stars, and a little bit more than that for normal stars (although big names were selling really high). I saw that barely anybody was bidding on Jordy Nelson when he came around, and I was able to get his Pylon 1/1 for 78 bucks (IIRC). I think it was the next day when all of the high rollers started bidding, and the no name 7th round pick rookies were going for well over 100 bucks. Some of the mid range guys that would be about what Nelson was in 2012 all went for over 200 bucks, I think. I can't say that I feel bad that I got him for under 80! It was well worth 80 bucks to me, and considering what others were paying for lesser guys later in the auctions, I think I got a steal Smile

I am a guilty party of putting $1,000.00 on a rare card knowing that nobody in their right mind would pay it. however I do that to test the market, just to see how many looks I get or how many watchers for that listing. if someone is willing to pay that for it great. if I get a lot of looks or 5 or more watchers I know that more than one person is interested and it could start a good bidding war. I did that with a 2014 peyton manning airmail /5, started bidding at $50 and it shot up to $135 in no time at all. to me that card was only worth, realistically to me, between $60-$80 tops. the realistic collectors stopped bidding at a reasonable price. if some collector with a bit of cash wants that rare card they will pay dearly for it. I wont tell them its not worth what they paid for it, but now it is.

Good insights! Thanks everyone!

I'm not going to worry myself anymore about thinking I'm low balling. If the seller don't like, TOUGH lol

(01-28-2015, 04:44 PM)jokersrwild Wrote: I am a guilty party of putting $1,000.00 on a rare card knowing that nobody in their right mind would pay it. however I do that to test the market, just to see how many looks I get or how many watchers for that listing. if someone is willing to pay that for it great. if I get a lot of looks or 5 or more watchers I know that more than one person is interested and it could start a good bidding war. I did that with a 2014 peyton manning airmail /5, started bidding at $50 and it shot up to $135 in no time at all. to me that card was only worth, realistically to me, between $60-$80 tops. the realistic collectors stopped bidding at a reasonable price. if some collector with a bit of cash wants that rare card they will pay dearly for it. I wont tell them its not worth what they paid for it, but now it is.
I understand doing setting a high BIN when you have a card worth a lot, or if it has some personal meaning to you and you are wondering if it's worth selling or not. What I dislike are the guys who actually try to value a card that high, and won't listen to realistic offers lol. $1k for a 6th rd rookie before training camp??? I don't think so! lol!

(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)butterworth1326 Wrote: Good insights! Thanks everyone!

I'm not going to worry myself anymore about thinking I'm low balling. If the seller don't like, TOUGH lol
Haha, agreed! Take what you can get, for what you can get it for. Don't feel bad about it. Worst they can do is say no...

For the most part, this hobby is made up of "hot player of the moment" collectors. I was one of thie myself at one point. They are bidding high and buying high just to get that hot (usually rookie) player. When things die down, they are stuck with these cards. Think Johnny Manziel cards this year.

When they sell, they try to get some of their money back. Nothing wrong with that. Reasonable sellers will usually negotiate in your favor as long as your approach is honest and respectful. Just don't approach him in an aggressive and judgmental manner.

There's nothing wrong with offering a lower price if you feel that is what it is worth to you......not necessarily what you are willing to spend.

I have a problem with intentionally lowballing. In other words, knowing what you are doing. There's a difference between getting an honest deal and trying to take advantage of a seller. That makes you no better than the seller that you feel is overpricing a card!

Seller's card, seller's price.

I collect limited and low numbered cards/sets. Because of the difficulties in finding some of these cards, I'm willing (within reason) to pay a little more for these cards.

I've matured as a collector and have found that if a seller is unreasonable or just insane, I'm willing to live without that card. After dealing with collectors who hoard some cards with the sole intent of gouging a buyer, I've learned to pass.

It is unreasonable to think that because, as a buyer, you paid X amount in 2010 for a card (overpaid at the time) and then expect that as a seller you will get 3-4x what you paid in 2014!!! It's disrespectful to fellow collectors.

We have to understand as collectors in this hobby that, in this age of overproduced cards and rookies, nothing is really all that rare or that valuable.

Don't over pay....unless you must. Don't overprice out of greed!