`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question about a card being trimmed/altered...

Question about a card being trimmed/altered...
Hey guys! I'm in need of some of yous guys expertise. I recently was given a nice Walter Payton rookie that looks to be in decent shape. My question is how can you tell if it's been trimmed or altered. I got it from a friend who has had it for a while, and he got it from someone else. It's not in perfect shape, but it's centered pretty nicely. I know it's supposed to be the standard 3 1/2" x 2 1/2". All edges and corners look all "rough" through 30x magnification like it's supposed to I guess. I measured the dimensions myself and it measures right at 3 1/2" on the height. The width measured a little smaller than 2 1/2" at 2 31/64. I know it's super tiny, but is that an "acceptable" deviation from the norm?? Thanks in advance fellas!

[Image: ke8sq0jt.jpg]

Here are pics of the corners taken with that phone attachment
[Image: 62SDt6.jpg]
[Image: zVMWDs.jpg]
[Image: ItjYQa.jpg]
[Image: OsVXPv.jpg]

Now I can see what graders see, it's pretty cool

RE: Question..
I'd say buy some cheap copies of other cards from the same set and compare. Might be the easiest way to see if there is any variation in sizing.

RE: Question..
(01-22-2015, 08:20 PM)bojesphob Wrote: I'd say buy some cheap copies of other cards from the same set and compare. Might be the easiest way to see if there is any variation in sizing.
Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about maybe trying to swing by my LCS and see if they had any 1976 to compare to...

RE: Question about a card being trimmed/altered...
Kinda just looks like normal fraying from wear but I'm far from a professional graders lol. I'd agree and find a couple cheap commons from that set. Can probably find them cheap on COMC. That's where I go to work on my vintage sets
[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]

(01-22-2015, 09:27 PM)mooncricket916 Wrote: Kinda just looks like normal fraying from wear but I'm far from a professional graders lol. I'd agree and find a couple cheap commons from that set. Can probably find them cheap on COMC. That's where I go to work on my vintage sets
Haha, I think the corners look normal, I was just showing those to show how those "nice" corners look close up. In the regular picture, you wouldn't think they would look like that close up, at least I didn't, haha.
I think I'll try my LCS first and go from there. If they don't have any, I think Ill go to COMC and see what I can get to compare to.

I can tell you that sizing is much more variable than you'd think. I know this because I get back 30-50 cards from PSA a year with the dreaded "N6" designation for "min size." It never fails that it'd be a card that graded 9 or 10 for sure. This is with modern, hi tech cards mind you so an older card doesn't surprise me a bit.
I have a keen eye for grading, however, not for the doctoring side of grading. That said, the card shows slight hints at having been trimmed in the past... slight, by no means for sure trimmed. In the end it doesn't matter because that card is a 6 on a good day so I don't think grading it is a big deal. Don't let the slightly smaller size bother you, still a RC of the greatest RB ever.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

(01-23-2015, 05:00 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: I can tell you that sizing is much more variable than you'd think. I know this because I get back 30-50 cards from PSA a year with the dreaded "N6" designation for "min size." It never fails that it'd be a card that graded 9 or 10 for sure. This is with modern, hi tech cards mind you so an older card doesn't surprise me a bit.
I have a keen eye for grading, however, not for the doctoring side of grading. That said, the card shows slight hints at having been trimmed in the past... slight, by no means for sure trimmed. In the end it doesn't matter because that card is a 6 on a good day so I don't think grading it is a big deal. Don't let the slightly smaller size bother you, still a RC of the greatest RB ever.
Ok, thanks for this good bit of info. No worries, I am pretty happy about having a decent condition rookie card of his!!