`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking About Taking a Break

Thinking About Taking a Break
I have 10 days left on my OPG subscription and when that ends I'm thinking about taking a break from the site. Lots of good guys here but many of my recent dealings and attempts to trade just has me irritated. People are making posts all gun ho trying to get trades done saying in their threads to send me an open offer and blah blah. I understand I don't have any gu/autos for trade, but because of that I don't request those types of cards in my open offers. What happens?, my trade offers just sit there with no reply so I just cancel after a week of it just sitting there.

Next, lately people I've traded with are taking 10+ days to ship. I know everyone has a life, but I work a full time job and have a 6 week old baby, so if I can ship within a couple days most people should be able to also.

Finally I did a trade and a card was missing...I try to contact the other guy but they haven't been online in nearly a week.

Are people getting lazy or am I just being an a-hole? I continue to buy packs every now and then because I still try to maintain a trading aspect to collecting. But lately it has been more frustrating than fun.

RE: Thinking About Taking a Break
No, your not the a-hole. I've had large number of guys lately taking way too long to ship. I know everyone has different schedules. But if you tell me your going to ship the next day, either do so or give me the heads up you weren't able to. We shouldn't have to leave a bunch of messages just to be sent a tracking number two weeks later that has our cards being shipped 10+ days after the deal was accepted. Further more, if you have to go to the PO to pick up the cards I sent you, ship mine while your there. Why is it tracking has you going to the post office for your package, then shipping mine 6 days later? I also dont appreciate the guys who appear to wait for my end to arrive before they ship. We've traded before. Cut the crap.
As for the guys letting your trades sit forever, that sucks. I'll be the first to admit that I've let trades sit for a couple days simply because I've forgotten about them. I get burnt out at work and forget I read an offer earlier in the day. But I've sent offers to guys and they let them sit for a week without a peep, despite their threads saying "all offers responded to". If you dont want to trade, cancel.
Anyway, sorry to rant on your thread. Your not alone bud. But I'm not going to let it discourage the rest of my trading here. There really is a lot of great traders on Beckett. The way I look at it, if I only made 5 really nice trades on here in a year that's still five more than I would have had. Don't let this crap get you down.

If your irritated/stressed/bothered etc....then a break would be a good idea. After all, this hobby is meant to bring happiness and joy, not stress and irritation, especially when you have a Little baby (and are probably sleep deprived). I have two young girls and the LAST thing I need in my life is something to make me irritable...my kids do a great job of pushing my buttons!

(01-18-2015, 08:40 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: No, your not the a-hole. I've had large number of guys lately taking way too long to ship. I know everyone has different schedules. But if you tell me your going to ship the next day, either do so or give me the heads up you weren't able to. We shouldn't have to leave a bunch of messages just to be sent a tracking number two weeks later that has our cards being shipped 10+ days after the deal was accepted. Further more, if you have to go to the PO to pick up the cards I sent you, ship mine while your there. Why is it tracking has you going to the post office for your package, then shipping mine 6 days later? I also dont appreciate the guys who appear to wait for my end to arrive before they ship. We've traded before. Cut the crap.
As for the guys letting your trades sit forever, that sucks. I'll be the first to admit that I've let trades sit for a couple days simply because I've forgotten about them. I get burnt out at work and forget I read an offer earlier in the day. But I've sent offers to guys and they let them sit for a week without a peep, despite their threads saying "all offers responded to". If you dont want to trade, cancel.
Anyway, sorry to rant on your thread. Your not alone bud. But I'm not going to let it discourage the rest of my trading here. There really is a lot of great traders on Beckett. The way I look at it, if I only made 5 really nice trades on here in a year that's still five more than I would have had. Don't let this crap get you down.
An offer sitting there for a couple days is fine, but I don't know how many just sit for a week+ when I see that the other person is logging in too.

It also cracks me up with the people that are taking 10+ days to ship are marking their side as received but won't leave feedback. They take the time to go in to mark as received but won't do the feedback?? In my opinion that just looks like an out for retaliatory feedback since they know they are being lazy about shipping.

That is 100% accurate. You hit it spot on.

I'm very much guilty of letting trade offers sit for long periods of time. I actually forget to check to the trading site. And when I do there are offered that have been there for days, weeks.
Not making an excuse, (but I am Smile ) I warn people well in advance that I take a long time. I just do. It's not my occupation and it is actually very time consuming for me to respond and finalize a trade. Here are my issues, perhaps some have run into the same thing.
1) someone will put in a trade for some cards that I need to locate before I respond. I'd like to make sure I physically have the card in hand before proceeding.
2) I have to find something to trade for. Jeez, some of you have 100,000 cards listed. Even using the filters, it's a daunting task and is really time consuming.
3) not complaining but I had someone ask to trade for a moderately expensive card, and they only have hundreds of nickel and dime cards from the late 80's / early 90's. They have tons of filler and nothing of 'kind' listed. It takes me too long to sift through and perhaps find a trade. Too much work/time. One trader only had hockey cards listed.
4) the search function on the trade site really sucks. I can't navigate through trades. If I have to change my search filter back, I have to go out of the site and come back in and start from scratch.
5) my schedule is difficult and crazy. Sure, we have some military people here, and they do more while deployed than I can ever do, while their crazy and difficult schedule is 100X harder. God bless 'em, but I can't seem to do as well. They're superhuman or something.

I'll remind people again. I like to trade, but I'm slow, I'm careful, I'm dependable ... But don't even start a trade with me if speedy trading is desired. I don't want anyone pissed at me for taking a week to send out.
If you're in rush for a card then you (& I) don't need the stress of dealing with me Smile

If I ever offended anyone attempting to trade with me, it was unintentional and I apologize.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(01-18-2015, 09:35 PM)slufan83 Wrote: It also cracks me up with the people that are taking 10+ days to ship are marking their side as received but won't leave feedback. They take the time to go in to mark as received but won't do the feedback?? In my opinion that just looks like an out for retaliatory feedback since they know they are being lazy about shipping.
Happens all the time. It's not just being lazy it is also being sneaky and that's not that far from being a thief. When I receive my cards I'm in the habit of leaving feedback first then marking the cards as received.

I'm not the quickest at responding to trades but when I do and a trade is agreed upon I probably have about a 97.5% rate a getting them on the mail the next day. When I don't, I send a message as to why I didn't.

If you're getting irritated badly take a break. If not to bad, just hit up known good traders for a little bit.

(01-18-2015, 11:16 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'll remind people again. I like to trade, but I'm slow, I'm careful, I'm dependable ... But don't even start a trade with me if speedy trading is desired. I don't want anyone pissed at me for taking a week to send out.
If you're in rush for a card then you (& I) don't need the stress of dealing with me Smile

If I ever offended anyone attempting to trade with me, it was unintentional and I apologize.
Dr. Speedy,

I would find it very surprising if you offended anyone because you have always made it very clear that to trade with you can be a slow process. The difference is you communicate that it will be a slow process to trade with you. Communication is the key to success in my opinion on having a happy trade here.

Slufan...I hope I am not one of the offenders! I let my OPG & ORG subscriptions run out in December (going to re-up in February) and know that for a couple of weeks I was still getting trade requests (emails from Beckett). I have no access to the trade function to even reply back to folks so I posted a thread.

I understand your frustration and to be honest....the now almost 2 month break has reduced my stress level a lot. I think the best thing to do is just communicate with your trading partners at the beginning of trades, expectations on delivery by both sides. Not to be a jerk, but if the other hasn't sent nor responded back within 5 days...get the mods involved. We all know life springs stuff at us and that for most of us this is a casual thing, but communication needs to be the key. Also, folks need to leave appropriate feedback....ie you can give somebody 5 stars but say shipping was slow.

As for your missing card...let the mods know if the person hasn't gotten on-line....they can get in contact with them.

See above....maybe slim down your trading partners for a little while. Also remember...take a look at folks trading records for recent trades....some folks are on all the time but never trade...why I don't know.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

You aren't Joe...and DrMitch I know how it goes sometimes. I mostly talking about people who post in the trade section avid about getting some deals done and say to send open offers...but when you send open offers they just sit. Not message saying "hey I'll take a look when I can," or no "sorry I didn't see anything." It just sits. You see that they continue to log in, but nothing...even after I'll maybe post a message to the trade asking if they wanted to try work out a deal.

I guess part of it is, some people might have the email notifications turned off. For me, I get an email every time I get a trade, the trade is updated, or a message is added.

Taking a break isn't a bad thing. The key part of trading and collecting is enjoyment. Whether it is for the negotiating, set building, prospecting, or whatever. It is a hobby, and is meant to be FUN! I took a break and just started selling on e-bay/comc and using the $ to buy my wants. It was a fun change; and since I've come back there are a ton of new cards on the site and I am going after some new pc's. Good luck to you in whatever you choose!
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint