`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: How do you display your cards in pocket pages (see commentary)?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
front-back, front-back
75.00%
9 75.00%
front-front, back-back
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Question for those who store cards in album pages - and a rant

RE: Question for those who store cards in album pages - and a rant
(01-18-2015, 12:00 PM)savagenate Wrote: I store a lot of my rainbows in Ultra Pro pages. I like being able to see my cards, rather then pull them out of a box to go through them. I use the back/front method, but seeing your pictures above, I may change that for my rainbows so you can see the whole thing rather than turning pages. Why oh why can't they just make 1 base, 8 refractors, and the super????? They'd fit perfectly in the top loaders, and we all know the super gets special treatment...it would look so much nicer and be easier to display! Lol that's my rant :p
If you are worried about the tops of your cards, you could look into this. (Hopefully I can post the link here) I plan on buying these to hold some collections that I can't afford to grade or use mag cases with. They have a flap that goes over the top, so no more peeking! Check em out...I haven't bought one yet, but they look legit.
www.toploaderbinder.com
Never seen that before, does look legit. Might have to look into that myself. Was never a fan of these pages but would be nice for my 58 & 59 topps sets as I have them all in top loaders. Not too crazy about the price though but if can find a binder that works with these it's much cheaper. Not paying $14 for a binder lol. I remember seeing some binders with adjustable rings in the office at work. Maybe I'll try that and just buy the pages by themselves.
[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]

RE: Question for those who store cards in album pages - and a rant
Thanks to those who have partaken in the survey and/or shared their comments. I would like to respond to a couple.
(01-18-2015, 02:51 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: I learn something new every day!
I want to bring up a little related anecdote. Sy Berger passed away recently, who at one time had a prominent position with the Topps company way back when. He was very influential with his ideas concerning the hobby as we know it today. For example, in 1957 he figured out that more baseball cards could be fit on to a cutting sheet and there would be less waste if the cards were of a smaller dimension, hence the standard size that we are used to today. That interview of him discussing that and other things might still be on this website somewhere or on YouTube.

(01-18-2015, 03:31 AM)jplarson Wrote: I never thought of option B before, I'll have to try it out once and see how I like it. But for all my sets, I try to keep them separated in their own 3/4", 1", or 2" binders. I don't prefer putting multiple sets in one binder. But D-ring or basically something that doesn't form a circle is the way to go. Had a couple pages of Collector's Choice go south on me with some creases from the rings.

The only real annoyance I have is the need to keep binders on their side. If I stand them up it puts some stress on the top hole of the pages and puts weight on the bottom row outside card which I'd rather avoid.

Good topic!
Thanks jplarson.

I know what you are stating concerning potential damage dangers. I always make sure that I gently pull the front and back pages towards the outside before putting the binder away so that the rings do not cause indentations. The O-ring binders are not practical for this use, so I agree there again. The D-Ring binders that Ultra Pro manufactures are suitable enough. Personally I like the binder shown in the first pictures even more, I wish I had more of them. The rings are more rectangular in nature. That binder is also from the 80's.

I still keep the few card binders I have upright though. The trick is placing those on a flat shelf and making sure the binders are pushed together. Makeshift bookends are always necessary for this method.

(01-18-2015, 12:00 PM)savagenate Wrote: I store a lot of my rainbows in Ultra Pro pages. I like being able to see my cards, rather then pull them out of a box to go through them. I use the back/front method, but seeing your pictures above, I may change that for my rainbows so you can see the whole thing rather than turning pages. Why oh why can't they just make 1 base, 8 refractors, and the super????? They'd fit perfectly in the top loaders, and we all know the super gets special treatment...it would look so much nicer and be easier to display! Lol that's my rant :p
If you are worried about the tops of your cards, you could look into this. (Hopefully I can post the link here) I plan on buying these to hold some collections that I can't afford to grade or use mag cases with. They have a flap that goes over the top, so no more peeking! Check em out...I haven't bought one yet, but they look legit.
www.toploaderbinder.com
In response to your comments in the first paragraph...
Something to consider is that there are other pages with a different number of pockets. I remember seeing one page with five pockets, but one of the cards would have to be displayed horizontally.
I for one like grouping my cards together accordingly, within years and sets. As a result it is inevitable that empty pockets remain. This will result in the top of the binder being thicker than the bottom since more cards will be on the top (I hope I explained that so it makes sense). What I have begun to do is cut index cards to a size that will fit in to a pocket and place two in each pocket that will not be used. An example is below:

[Image: P1020341_zps7889764b.jpg]
In addition, I will know for future reference when a team set is completed. That open space is reserved for the Sonny Jurgensen RC that I will eventually own. It may not be in the immediate future, but I will snag one.

Paragraph two...
Thanks for the link! I watched the video and I have heard of such a product before but I do not recall ever seeing one. It is a cool concept but it is a little pricey and I do not know how I feel about the dimensions of the pages. Personally I would prefer they manufacture a nine pocket page, although it would result in a huge binder.
On a related note, I referenced the six pocket pages earlier:
[Image: P1020340_zps2b08d438.jpg]
I inserted a random card in to one of these pages that I have been storing some of my matchbook covers in to. You can see how much clearance at the top you can get for the card. This may be an option that I may look in to.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]