`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 3 favorite players of all time

RE: Top 3 favorite players of all time
(01-12-2015, 04:09 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: This waaaay too tough for me to pick only 3.
Even with Joe's addition of 3 players he's seen and 3 he didn't, that was too narrow of a field for me.

So to be fair to everyone and not list my top 20 .... I'll just have to go with my one overall player that I've seen in person ... Mickey Mantle. Even though he was literally on his last legs in 1968 when I saw him at Yankee Stadium, there was a certain 'something' about him ... and he crushed 2 homers that day, too ... Might have been a couple of his last ever ... But that was a special moment seeing that with my Dad.

On any given day,my number 2 & 3 favorite can be almost anyone. Yankees, Non-Yankees, current, past, ones I've seen, some I've only read about ... Usually depending on my most recent viewing of Ken Burn's Baseball. Smile ... But The Mick will always be #1.
vs the Twins Saturday August 10th? Attendence 36,070 plus you and your dad= 36,072. Time 2:36 (no games ever that short anymore!!!!) He hit 5 more that year....see baseball almanac online....it's awesome! You can see the outcome of the game yourself. Couple of HOF in that game. (or it was vs the Senators in May)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Only 3 Favorites?! Impossible! I'll give it a try anyway.

1. Fred Lynn - (Rice and Evans too, as well as any player on the 75 Sox could be my favorite at any given time)
As a 9 year old in 1975 I had followed Bobby Orr and the Bruins far more than the Red Sox in previous seasons, but that was the year my friends and I all started playing little league and following baseball more closely. Of course it did not hurt that the Sox made it to the series that year. with Lynn making those diving catches in the outfield it inspired us kids to play "spectacular catches" on the diamond at the local park. I was devastated when Lynn was traded to the Angels.

2. Nomar Garciaparra - Nomar shares the same birthday as me, which caught my attention when he was called up, and had me hooked in his rookie season. His career was cut too short with injuries. What if....what if he doesn't injure his wrist in 2001? It is so similar an injury to Yaz in 1971, which robbed him of his power. Nomar still had 2 more good seasons with the Sox, but faded to soon. Another trade that left me feeling empty, although the pain was relieved by a series victory.

3. Ted Williams - The best hitter the Red Sox (and arguably the game) has ever seen. My Dad's favorite player, I only got to see him play in a few old-timers games. in late 70's.

How can I have a favorites list and leave Yaz, Fisk, Tiant, Pedro, Pedroia, Oritz, Varitek, Mo, Manny, Rico, Boomer, Tony C, Clemens, & Boggs off the list? It's just not fair!

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

1.) mark mcgwire
2.) kirby puckett
3.) tony Gwynn

These are who I collected as a kid... Oddly enough, other than flirting with the idea of a mcgwire PC, I've had no desire to collect any of them now. I do still have my childhood binder of these players though which is cool to flip through.

My favorite card of all time: 1994 upper deck electric diamond ken griffey jr. ( leaping at the wall). I loved the baseball and basketball of that years upper deck, and still think they look great

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

1. David Ortiz - I just love the enthusiasm with which he plays the game. He's a great ambassador and true class act.

2. Mark McGwire - Growing up in the Bay Area and being named Mark it was a give in I would be enamored with the prodigious power he possessed. Even with all the negativity surrounding his career he will always be one of my favorites.

3. Ken Griffey Jr. - As a 10 year old boy I remember getting my very first copy of the most iconic baseball card of my era. He had such amazing skills, lightower power, awesome defensively and just an all around great player.

Honorable Mention - Kevin Mitchell, Will Clark, Rickey Henderson, Derek Meter, Bryce Harper
[Image: Z5Ez1Jf.png]
Banner Courtesy of Jbel4331
Current FB Sets
2010 Panini Plates & Patches RPA (35/35)
2011 Panini Gold Standard RPS (36/36)
2012 Topps Strata Blue Clear Cut (42/43)
2013 Topps Inception Green RPA (39/40)
2014 Panini Immaculate Ink #'d/49 (10/24)

1 Nolan Ryan---saw them retire his jersey in 96 at the ballpark in Arlington

2 Griffey Jr.----first player to super collect

3 Mickey Mantle---"being from Oklahoma he was an idle to most/all baseball fans
[Image: Ryan%20Milledge_zpsthyedlbp.jpg]

(01-13-2015, 01:49 AM)Kingofallmarks Wrote: 1. David Ortiz - I just love the enthusiasm with which he plays the game. He's a great ambassador and true class act.

2. Mark McGwire - Growing up in the Bay Area and being named Mark it was a give in I would be enamored with the prodigious power he possessed. Even with all the negativity surrounding his career he will always be one of my favorites.

3. Ken Griffey Jr. - As a 10 year old boy I remember getting my very first copy of the most iconic baseball card of my era. He had such amazing skills, lightower power, awesome defensively and just an all around great player.

Honorable Mention - Kevin Mitchell, Will Clark, Rickey Henderson, Derek Meter, Bryce Harper
Who is Derek Meter? LMAO

https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(01-12-2015, 08:40 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: vs the Twins Saturday August 10th? Attendence 36,070 plus you and your dad= 36,072. Time 2:36 (no games ever that short anymore!!!!) He hit 5 more that year....see baseball almanac online....it's awesome! You can see the outcome of the game yourself. Couple of HOF in that game. (or it was vs the Senators in May)
Wow! That's great research, Joe. The only thing that ever stuck in my mind was Mickey hitting 2 dingers. I couldn't tell you much else. It is a high probability that it was a Saturday or Sunday due to my Dad's work schedule. Who did they play? Could have been either The Twins or The Senators, May or August, that much I can't recall. Although I had a healthy fear/Respect for Harmon Killebrew growing up, so maybe an early Twins exposure was possible? Fuzzy Memories at best ... I was 8 years old.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Barry Bonds, Will Clark and Tim Salmon

Looking for all cards from these guys I don't have!
[Image: tPSNwfV.png]

(01-12-2015, 08:23 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: jody reed is why the red sox became my al team back in 1986 when i moved from brandon, fl (where jody was from. i knew his brother) to new england
That's cool. Any contact still?

(01-13-2015, 05:28 PM)ne12bc12 Wrote: That's cool. Any contact still?
no, havent had contact since i moved away from brandon