`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
"Vintage"

RE: "Vintage"
if anyone calls 1990 vintage, I'm gonna go to your house and slap you with a fish. 1980 is the cut off as I always believe. Smile
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I'd have to agree on 1980, isn't that the standard for cars as well?

So at least my chuckle is warranted when people are calling Piazzas from 1994 "vintage"
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

Someone on these boards a short while back had their own little chart of
What they considered modern, vintage etc... It was really interesting and I actually agreed with all of their categories.
It was something to the effect of
Modern 1980-present
Classic 1979-1960
Vintage 1959-
Pre war

...or something similar
I thought it was pretty cool that they had more time periods like classic and prewar instead of just lumping everything into two categories. And it's also hard for me to see 1980 as vintage.

I think pre-1980s is technically considered "vintage".
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I agree with several others here. In my opinion 1980 and earlier is "vintage".

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

Vintage is such a loaded term when you think of it really depends on the subject matter. I tend to think of Vintage for baseball cards as anything pre 1981 because before 1981 you had Topps and OpeeChee ( which is just Topps junior, pains me to say that being from north of the 49th) to the beginning of the glut of companies and mass production.

That being said...is a 1984 Plymouth Reliant really a Vintage Car? Don't get me wrong that Kcar was my first car and the damn thing was indesctructable, but how many Kcars do you see at Vintage car shows?
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(01-09-2015, 02:34 PM)jonathani Wrote: I think pre-1980s is technically considered "vintage".
100% correct for grading (and as most of the hobby old heads consider). Myself, I like the 4 category breakdown....Modern, Classic, Vintage and pre-Historic....

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

it's all quite relative......

i've actually seen some of those ridiculous ads offering packages filled with great "vintage , out-of-print" cards with the accompanying picture showing packs ranging from 1988 all the way up to 2010....TECHNICALLY , i guess they are at least somewhat correct because any "out-of-print" product (ie any product from a previous year) is "vintage"....it's just not a very old or good year in those cases....

some sites (such as ebay) classify vintage as pre-1971.....some consider it the last year of products being released in multiple series....others consider it pre-1980....

hard as it may be to fathom 1990 fleer or 1991 score ever being called vintage , given enough time EVERYTHING will BECOME vintage....

personally i have adopted my own guidelines for each sport , usually putting my current cutoff at a year that saw a major move into junk-wax era production levels....

baseball - i gradually expanded beyong the 1979 material and now will consider all pre-1986 material...i'm still a bit torn on 1986 and 1987 donruss and fleer....all still heavily produced , but still a significantly lower amount than what hit the market in 1988 (though i still love 1988 AND 1989 fleer before the 1990 production was responsible for clearing a few rain forests).....i have seen more than afew people start calling 1987 topps vintage so i may re-evaluate my standards here in the near future to call it everything pre-1988...

football - football didn't really EXPLODE until 1989 when pro set and score came along ...as much as i'd love to call 89 score vintage , i think topps really ramped up production in 1988...while it may not be scarce , i can easily see 1986 being referred to as vintage and i'm on the fence about 1987....a few solid cards and nowhere near as much of that year as they put out in 1988.....

basketball - here i have the least indecision....1988-89 ....obviously the last few years of topps before their hiatus fit the bill and i think all the star company sets are easy to call vintage as well...when fleer hit the scene , basketball cards were still largely an afterthought ....production increased a bit each year ...the 1987-88 and 1988-89 material was still semi-scarce (compared to other sports) and even the 1989-90 product isn't awful but i just can't quite consider it vintage - yet (maybe 5-6 years from now i could see it).... then the 1990-91 product saw a HUGE increase in production and even with a few nice solid if not spectacular rookies and a another nice MJ , it will take forever for these to dry up.....

hockey - i don't really actively collect hockey , but i dabbled with it in the late 80's and early 90's....based on my very limited experience , i classify vintage hockey as anything before 1989-90 when pro set hit the market along with multiple sets from topps (topps premier , bowman , etc)....

racing - again , nothing i actively collect , but i dabbled briefly with it in the early 90's....i can accept pre-90 here which allows in the first 2 decent maxx sets...if i recall correctly the 1990 maxx wasn't insanely overproduced either and still holds at least SOME interest/value , but the 1991 production numbers were slightly prolific to say the least....

again , nothing concrete , but just my personal opinions....

I collect almost anyone else with ties to the state of South Carolina (especially ANY SC Gamec0cks) , + most parallels and rare 90's inserts
check out my site for tons of wantlists : claude's card corner

Personally, I consider anything pre-70s as vintage.

Unbelievable that this thread is still getting wrong comments. It's NOT an opinion question. It's clearly defined in Beckett Grading guidelines as pre-1981.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!