IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examining cards before grading

RE: Examining cards before grading
Thanks for sharing!
[Image: pwskelly_zps1a5efa17.jpg]

Collecting: 2005-06 SP Authentic Hockey Marks of Distinction and Mike Liut.

(01-08-2015, 01:14 AM)altz11 Wrote: I'd say the first thing to do is become familiar with Beckett's "grading criteria" which can be found in the grading faq's section under the grading tab. This will tell you how Beckett determines what grade a card will receive.
I try and break the overall grade down (like BGS does) through the four subgrades; centering, surface, edges and corners. Grade each category on a 1-10 scale (going off of BGS' grading criteria as much as possible).
A tool that some people use is a loupe or magnifying glass which can be especially helpful when looking at corners and surface. You want corners to be very sharp with no color loss, no dings/rounded corners.
Surface should have very little to no obvious scratches, scuffs, finger prints, print lines or print dots or ink transfers/ink spots. As well as no surface indents.
For centering, some people actually measure it and that's probably the best way if you have precise measuring tools. this is the most obvious subgrade. If the card is noticeably o.c. (Off center) then it probably won't grade high.
Imo, edges are the least worrisome of the four categories, but it also depends on the year of the card and company brand (vintage cards were cut differently than modern and therefore have rougher edges generally speaking. Also, a company like "opeechee" was notorious for rough edges.)

This may sound silly but even just practicing grading cards at home may help strengthen your grading eye. The more you send cards in to get graded by BGS or psa or whoever, the more you will learn about what the graders are looking at/for.
Hope this helps, sorry for long reply I'm just trying to help a fellow collector. If you ever want to get an opinion on a card, post a scan and people here will tell you what they think. Good luck!
A very nice, and good response. I do exactly as he desribed and I rarely get less than a 9.5 back. Look at Beckett grading standards, obtain a decent magnifying glass (not a microscope) and find a measuring tool that gives you 1/32" increments. As he said, you will learn quickly.
(01-08-2015, 08:20 PM)altz11 Wrote: Keep in mind that the Beckett centering standards are less for the reverse. And, in general don't forget about inspecting the reverse just as you would the front.

You don't have to measure it (I never have), but that's probably the most precise way to find the centering grade. As you see more and more cards and become more comfortable with grading cards you'll be able to eyeball the centering and have a pretty good guess about how the centering will grade. I believe professional graders measure the centering.
I'm not exactly sure what unit of measurement is used for determining centering, I think it's in millimeters or centimeters (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
The centering on a card is how much space is along the entire border of a card. Think of the border of a card or the centering like a picture frame. If the picture frame is even on all four sides, that would be 50/50 left to right and top to bottom perfect centering.
Just in case your unsure, 50/50 means 50% even on the left and right borders, 50% even on the top and bottom borders.

Later tonight I will post some scans of cards with different centering so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I don't do much to decide. If it's a PC card that I like, I will send it in. If it's a card I'm trying to flip, I generally don't unless I think it'll be stupidly valuable, in which case I send it in.