`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1m dollar collection on roadshow

1m dollar collection on roadshow
im sure a lot of you may have heard about this, but I found it very cool. little old lady has one million $ in baseball cards from the 1870's and did not know it. good read.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalf...id=UP72DHP

RE: 1m dollar collection on roadshow
Yeah, read about it earlier today. What I love about it is some joker offered her $5,000 for the collection and that is what made her go get it appraised. Good for her!

That's awesome. I hadn't read about it yet, but so happy to hear that she didn't take the $5,000 someone offered to her and that the offer made her want to get a real appraisal.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Olberman just said on his show the appraisal was a joke. The cards are nowhere near that much. He said they were rare but not close to that much money. He said he has dozens of them in his collection.
SET NEEDS;
2012 tribute blue autos - need most
1995-98 football inserts

Interesting. The $1 million appraisal sounds too high. The Spalding letter is really cool though.

very specific things here:

the appraiser said she should insure the collection for 1 million dollars. now, that is a far different than a retail market valuation (rmv), or even a real sell value. insured values are always much higher than the other two numbers

second point: this is done for TV, and ARS has always throw out big numbers every once in a while to generate ratings. pawn shows do the same thing