`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future first ballot HOF players

Future first ballot HOF players
With this years HOF class announced. I was thinking about future first ballot players too go into the HOF. Ken Griffey jr. Derek Jeter are the ones that come too mind. Is there anymore?

RE: Future first ballot HOF players
I'm hoping Ivan Rodriguez is 1st ballot, but it's definitely not a guarantee like Jeter and Griffey. Vladimir Guerrero, Todd Helton, Roy Halladay, and Mariano Rivera will all be close as well, but definitely not sure thing 1st ballots. I think Rivera is really close to a sure thing for his 1st ballot, but it really comes down to how the next few years go for closers (i.e. does Hoffman get in) and if people look at the fact that Rivera played for the Yankees as a plus or a minus when voting. The only other guaranteed 1st ballot I can think of is Chipper Jones.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Albert Pujols & Ichiro Suzuki.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I think Rivera is a first ballot HOF member.

http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/f...-eligibles

lets start with the list:

2016: griffey, hoffman are the only possibles, griffey probably only one making it
2017: no definite 1st ballot guys. vlad, manny both are borderline. manny will be hurt by his steroid suspensions with the dodgers.
2018: chipper, vizquel, thome are on possibilities. chipper i think is the only lock. thome has big numbers, but they are a bit compiled, and he was never considered among the best. time at dh will hurt as well. vizquel will likely get in within 5 years, but if ozzie smith is in, vizquel should be. but most likely not happening first ballot
2019: halladay, helton, mariano, pettitte. pettitte wont get in on first ballot due to admission of steroid use. helton wont get in on first ballot due to playing in colorado. halladay had a great peak, but it didnt last long enough. mariano is the only probable first ballot guy, and due to folks having a bias aganst closers, isnt a mortal lock. but he should be...the best to ever play at a position should be a first ballot guy
2020: jeter: duh. but shoutout to my boy kevin youkilis (YOUKBACCA!)

(01-07-2015, 11:42 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/f...-eligibles

lets start with the list:

2016: griffey, hoffman are the only possibles, griffey probably only one making it
2017: no definite 1st ballot guys. vlad, manny both are borderline. manny will be hurt by his steroid suspensions with the dodgers.
2018: chipper, vizquel, thome are on possibilities. chipper i think is the only lock. thome has big numbers, but they are a bit compiled, and he was never considered among the best. time at dh will hurt as well. vizquel will likely get in within 5 years, but if ozzie smith is in, vizquel should be. but most likely not happening first ballot
2019: halladay, helton, mariano, pettitte. pettitte wont get in on first ballot due to admission of steroid use. helton wont get in on first ballot due to playing in colorado. halladay had a great peak, but it didnt last long enough. mariano is the only probable first ballot guy, and due to folks having a bias aganst closers, isnt a mortal lock. but he should be...the best to ever play at a position should be a first ballot guy
2020: jeter: duh. but shoutout to my boy kevin youkilis (YOUKBACCA!)
What about Ivan Rodriguez in 2017? Or do you think some of the PED allegations will keep him that far off?
Also, no way is Vizquel in the hall within 5 years. I would be surprised if he is even voted in at all (unless it's by the veteran's committee). He was a good player, a great fielder, but he doesn't have much name recognition (mostly just Gold Gloves and only a couple All-Star appearances). Sure he almost got to 3,000 hits, but with his mediocre average that was mostly due to him playing so long. I put him in the category with Dave Concepcion, a great player that just misses the hall. As for the argument that since Ozzie is in then Vizquel should be in, I don't think that will sway many voters.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-07-2015, 12:41 PM)djohn Wrote: What about Ivan Rodriguez in 2017? Or do you think some of the PED allegations will keep him that far off?
Also, no way is Vizquel in the hall within 5 years. I would be surprised if he is even voted in at all (unless it's by the veteran's committee). He was a good player, a great fielder, but he doesn't have much name recognition (mostly just Gold Gloves and only a couple All-Star appearances). Sure he almost got to 3,000 hits, but with his mediocre average that was mostly due to him playing so long. I put him in the category with Dave Concepcion, a great player that just misses the hall. As for the argument that since Ozzie is in then Vizquel should be in, I don't think that will sway many voters.
i loves me some ivan rodriguez, and i should have put him up there as a possibility, but yea, roid suspicions will keep him off first ballot

vizquel is beloved among the writers, absolutely beloved. whatever the opposite of albert belle was with media. and his saber numbers are much more impressive than his "big dumb numbers". ozzie smith has no business in the HOF, except he was a personality and did backflips and the media loved him (and i dont mind folks getting in as being an ambassador for the game. should have been what tipped the scales in dale murphy's favor, and buck oniel). Vizquel was a better defender for longer than ozzie

(01-07-2015, 11:15 AM)djohn Wrote: I'm hoping Ivan Rodriguez is 1st ballot, but it's definitely not a guarantee like Jeter and Griffey. Vladimir Guerrero, Todd Helton, Roy Halladay, and Mariano Rivera will all be close as well, but definitely not sure thing 1st ballots. I think Rivera is really close to a sure thing for his 1st ballot, but it really comes down to how the next few years go for closers (i.e. does Hoffman get in) and if people look at the fact that Rivera played for the Yankees as a plus or a minus when voting. The only other guaranteed 1st ballot I can think of is Chipper Jones.
I think Mo gets in on the first ballot. The greatest closer in some big time games, huge exposure, etc. I dont think Vlad gets in for his first few years. Great numbers but didn't get 3000 hits or 500 home runs. Plus, he played for the Expos. So that means he was overlooked for years. Helton I dont think will get in at all. He played 17 years and ended up with about 2500 hits. Solid player, great average but everything else is borderline. I'm with you on Chipper and Halladay I think gets in a couple years down the line.

Roy Halladay, Omar Vizquel, and Todd Helton aren't HOFers in my opinion.
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

2016 - Griffey's a lock. Hoffman probably should be and a case could be made for eventual inclusion for Billy Wagner (I had no idea his overall numbers were that good).

2017 - I don't think there's a 1st ballot guy here. Vlad could make it, but I'm guessing it'll take a while. Given the landscape of steroid users/suspected users, I can't see Pudge or Manny getting in first ballot or otherwise.

2018 - I would guess Chipper, but by the skin of his teeth. Vizquel and Thome probably take Biggio-like paths to the Hall. Vizquel for good, but not great offensive numbers and Thome for wracking up numbers as a DH.

2019 - I think Rivera is a first-ballot lock. I don't know that Halladay, Helton or Pettite have the resumes to make it or not. Personally, I view them all as Hall of Very Good types.

2020 - Jeter. Quite possibly the only person in this "class" to make it. I'd put Konerko and Dunn in the HoVG category.
Kepler