`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with bulk?

What to do with bulk?
What do most people you do with the bulk base cards after opening a box? I've opened a couple over the holidays, and now have a couple hundred bulk cards sitting in a stack. Hate to throw them away, but... what?
Lakers / PC / For Trade:
http://goehring9.weebly.com

RE: What to do with bulk?
It really depends on the set. If I like the set or am close to completing it then I try to put together a complete set. Sometimes I just list them in ORG for others to get what they need. I have also sold "pick" lots (where I list all the cards and the winner can pick 5, 10, 20, etc. that they want) on eBay to help set collector's finish off a set. I find that the "pick" lots do better than a large bulk lot, as the set collector's don't want to pay for shipping a bunch of cards they don't need. Plus once the auction ends, I can remove the cards that were selected from the list and simply repost the auction.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(12-30-2014, 09:39 AM)mgoehring Wrote: What do most people you do with the bulk base cards after opening a box? I've opened a couple over the holidays, and now have a couple hundred bulk cards sitting in a stack. Hate to throw them away, but... what?
if you are looking to just throw then away, id take them for my charity. any card under 3 dollars bv would be put into lots where 100% goes to fund cancer research for Dana Farber through my charity, project cupid (www.facebook.com/projectcupid). anything over 3 dollars would be put into lots where 10-20% goes to Dana Farber.

Project Cupid has raised over 100k over the past five years

but in general, id say: charity. find a local children's hospital or boys and girls club.

(12-30-2014, 10:04 AM)djohn Wrote: It really depends on the set. If I like the set or am close to completing it then I try to put together a complete set. Sometimes I just list them in ORG for others to get what they need. I have also sold "pick" lots (where I list all the cards and the winner can pick 5, 10, 20, etc. that they want) on eBay to help set collector's finish off a set. I find that the "pick" lots do better than a large bulk lot, as the set collector's don't want to pay for shipping a bunch of cards they don't need. Plus once the auction ends, I can remove the cards that were selected from the list and simply repost the auction.
Good idea- thanks
(12-30-2014, 10:07 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if you are looking to just throw then away, id take them for my charity. any card under 3 dollars bv would be put into lots where 100% goes to fund cancer research for Dana Farber through my charity, project cupid (www.facebook.com/projectcupid). anything over 3 dollars would be put into lots where 10-20% goes to Dana Farber.

Project Cupid has raised over 100k over the past five years

but in general, id say: charity. find a local children's hospital or boys and girls club.
I like the charity idea - either send to you, or you think my local Boys and Girls Club would take the cards for what, to give away to local kids?
Lakers / PC / For Trade:

(12-30-2014, 10:33 AM)mgoehring Wrote: Good idea- thanks

I like the charity idea - either send to you, or you think my local Boys and Girls Club would take the cards for what, to give away to local kids?
i would think so, but im not sure. i kind of deal exclusively with Dana Farber and the Jimmy Fund (though im probably going to start dealing with The Childrens Hospital in Boston as well next year). cash is always better - it gives the charity more leeway with what they can do with it, which is why i sell my cards off and give them the money for the most part. but i have given the cards themselves to the kids in the cancer center

but by all means, give them a call, see if it would be useful for your local charities. im a big believer in doing things locally. but if you dont, ill be happy to take them for ya and do something good with them

I've taken a couple BIG boxes of base cards to my local YMCA and they seem to appreciate them.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

Great idea, really - thanks much.
Lakers / PC / For Trade:

I like using Harbor House. It's a shelter for abused women, if you don't know, and many of the ladies have kids with them. Depending on your sex, you may need to call first: Men are generally not allowed inside the building. I set up hundreds of cards in little piles on my pool table (separated by age, brand, or something to make sure kids get varieties), and my daughter and I walk around grabbing one from each pile and putting cards in team bags. Then we truck them over to the shelter together. I've heard the kids like them, and some even start making friends trading with each other! Just never throw a card away. No matter how worthless it may be to you, someone somewhere needs it to complete a set or grab a smile. Heck, I have many, many cards in my org worth less than $0.10, but I still get some nice cards for them. Someone wants 100 cards at that price, and I'll happily take a $3 card I need of a favorite player.

I gave all my cards to my Little Brother when I was in high school. He still has them and hasn't seriously looked at them in years. I sometimes see cards I recognize come up on the bay and will call him to tell him what they're going for. I've even offered to go through them for him just to see what he has. Once in a while, though, he'll send me an old Cubs or Bears RC for my Birthday or something. He does this for his friends, too. The point here is that I didn't want them for anything and gave them to somebody who gets joy out of giving them to people--in great condition and 30 years older!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.