Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand Recommendations

Brand Recommendations
Hello!
Im a relatively new subscriber to this website, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about everyone's box breaks. Im more of a vintage card collector now, but I have a couple of boys now ages 7 and 10 who love buying the new stuff. Ive discovered over the past year that Im very much out of the loop as far as baseball card collecting goes, and I was very disappointed in a box of Donruss I bought one of my sons for his birthday. I just dont care for the lack of logos on the uniforms. He got some neat relics and a couple of autographs, but my sons pretty savvy for a 10 year old and has started to appreciate the value of money and baseball cards in general, and I think he'd do better in the long run with MLB licensed card brands. He enjoys collecting Minnesota Twins cards in general, but he gets the most fun out of pulling a relic, serial number, or autographed card of anyone.

What Im hoping to get from you all is a recommendation on a good brand of card to get my kids for Christmas. Im thinking of getting them each a box of something, and Im definitely aware of the different price points. I dont want to go much higher than $100.00 for each box. They have both enjoyed plenty of Bowman Chrome and Allen and Ginter packs this summer. Im just wondering if there is anything else cool to take a chance on?

Thanks!
John

RE: Brand Recommendations
I like the Bowman Platinum and the panini Prizm cards. You get plenty of up and coming rookies and some veterens. I've gotten more numbered cards out of Prizm. Plus you can get them for under $100.00 on Ebay.

a&g is one id stay away from. i personally like bowman products especially chrome, i also really like topps chrome this years topps chrome was the best in my opinion in awhile as far as design and color. finest is good also but kinda expensive.
blowout and daveadams do sales allthroughout november and even on black friday. sometimes some really good ones at that.
collect:pujols, trout,Salvador Perez,Jeter (rcs)

shipping: please have the respect of packaging the cards were they will not get damged. shipping cards in between toploaders when they are higher end cards is not acceptable. i will not ship cards like that to you so please do not ship them to me like that.

My recommendation would be (1) get each a boxed set of 2014 Topps (about $50) from WM or Target, then (2) pick up a hobby box of 2014 Update for each (sb less the $50 each). The Update will gaur. one relic or auto per box, plus there will be a bunch of serial numbered gold and pretty cool inserts. This way they can work on completeing a 2014 base Topps flagship set.

Myself I love Bowman Platinum, but I think your sons would enjoy "completeing" a decent sized set without anyone spending a lot of dollars, but having alot of fun. (plus I have a bunch of update I wouldn't mind getting rid of via a care package to fill thier set needs after they open).

Good luck and have fun as a family!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

2014 bowman chrome or platinum are at a really nice price at the moment. It gives you a chance to combine with another product like Topps or topps update.

Bowman or Topps Chrome, Bowman Platinum and Prizm are my favorites right now.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

With all the Black Friday deals going on at Blowout, and upcoming deals at Dave & Adam, Steelcity, etc, etc you can pick up a ton of cards. My advice would be a Bowman Baseball hobby ($72 at blowout)

"2014 Bowman Baseball is a prospector's paradise. This year's release continues to showcase the top prospects and rookies to help you answer the question "Who's Next?" It is the 25th anniversary of the 1989 re-launch of the Bowman brand, and we are going to highlight this milestone with a 1989 Silver Diamond Refractor in all 2014 Bowman releases. We are also excited to bring back the Bowman's Top 100 Prospects & Chrome Refractor Mini cards. Finally, Bowman would not be complete without the Prospect & Rookie Chrome autograph cards, and all of their colorful parallels. Be sure to get in on the ground floor to be among the first collectors to get your hands on these cards!"

Theres a little bit of everything in here. There are great rookies & prospects that they can follow for the next 20 years or 20 innings Smile There are Chromes, minis, serial numbered, special inserts, Abreu, Tanaka, Bryant, Trout, Jeter .... and an auto per box.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?ma...ts_id=8545

Since you didn't like the unlicensed products, I didn't recommend my 2 favorite products of the year.
Elite Extra Edition and Donruss ... The lack of logos don't bother me anymore. The way players move around, you're better off without their rookie cards being affiliated with a specific team. IMO.

I like the suggestion made by Phillies_Joe. A complete Topps Set is awesome, and you can pick up 2010 and 2011 complete sets for under $15 on sale at Blowout. Happy Thanksgiving!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I ended up buying each kid a box of Bowman Platinum! We had so much luck with Bowman Chrome, I decided to try out Platinum. The price wasnt too bad, and frankly, I enjoy giving some good business to my local card shop.

Thanks again, and keep posting those box breaks! Its a fun read.

John