`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanton Gets Paid

RE: Stanton Gets Paid
(11-18-2014, 07:49 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: Your probably right. Its too bad. I like to see players stay with a team for their career. I can remember when I was young, I hated Jeter just because he was a Yankee. As I got older I just thought he was a class act. Now looking at his career, he was truly amazing and he did it all the right way. He was my teams greatest nemesis and I cant help but respect the guy. I wish more guys would stay loyal to their teams because growing up and being able to put a face with a team, especially your rival, made it that much more fun.
I hear you on that, man. As you can see, I'm a huge Canseco fan. As a kid, I was crushed when the A's traded him to the Rangers. I wanted him to be a career Athletic. It wasn't long after, I was totally put off to collecting cards, because he was the guy I collected, and I wanted him in that Oakland uni. Then he became a journeyman. UGH. I kinda forgave him and baseball when he became a Yankee though (even if it was just for a couple months). But Jeter did it right. Chipper Jones did it right. Hey, I hope I'm wrong, and Stanton is able to finish his career with the Marlins, but ultimately, that's up to their front office to do the things he requires of them.

Very true, but if that other gentleman is correct and his contract is heavier toward the end, he'll probably have to stay if he hasnt produced accordingly. I actually got to see Canseco pitch against the Sox back in '93 (I think). That was kind of surreal growing up seeing him as a power hitter.
So here's the rumored breakdown of Giancarlo's contract: He gets 107 million for his first 6 years (until he is eligible for his opt out). He will get 31 for his first 3 years (10.3 per), and 76 for his years 4-6 (25.3 per). If he chooses to stay after that, he gets 31.14 million per year until his contract is up. So the gentleman that said his contract was most likely heavy in the back appears to be correct unless my info isn't correct. Not too bad after year 3 though. The reason Stanton said he constructed it this way was to put money towards other talent immediately, which he was promised.

(11-18-2014, 10:05 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: Since the Marlins gave him everything he asked for in order for him to stay, I highly doubt he and his agent were talked into short money on the front end and huge money on the back end when he has the ability to walk and there is more risk in his career. At that point you'd have to find another team willing to pay $30 million + per year, and that may not happen.
Believe it or not, his contract is HEAVILY back loaded, as it turns out. In fact, next year he'll "only" make $6.5m (which is less than he would've made through arbitration). In year 2, $9.5m.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=11897600
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(11-18-2014, 05:05 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Believe it or not, his contract is HEAVILY back loaded, as it turns out. In fact, next year he'll "only" make $6.5m (which is less than he would've made through arbitration). In year 2, $9.5m.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=11897600
Well, it's not HEAVILY back loaded. I just gave break down up above.

(11-18-2014, 05:30 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Well, it's not HEAVILY back loaded. I just gave break down up above.
I hadn't seen your follow up post when I made mine. Still, I think most people would agree that making "only" $107m for seasons 1-6, and $218m over seasons 7-13 qualifies as heavily backloaded. (Roughly 2x). Especially when the total value of the first 3 years ($30m total) is less than a third of what he'll make in the last 3 years ($93m+).
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

Yeah, probably. But if I was him, looking at 25 million from year 3 on would look really nice. From what I understand, he wanted the contract set up that way so they could put a great deal of money immediately towards talent. I really enjoy watching the Marlins and I love the moves made on both sides. Florida is starving for a super star, and now they've guaranteed themselves one for at least 6 years.
I did concede by the way, you were correct in his contract being heavier at the back.

(11-19-2014, 11:05 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: Yeah, probably. But if I was him, looking at 25 million from year 3 on would look really nice. From what I understand, he wanted the contract set up that way so they could put a great deal of money immediately towards talent. I really enjoy watching the Marlins and I love the moves made on both sides. Florida is starving for a super star, and now they've guaranteed themselves one for at least 6 years.
I did concede by the way, you were correct in his contract being heavier at the back.
Yeah, I wasn't poking at you. I've only had internet access through my phone (which has a slooowww) internet connection, so I think I got our wires crossed.

In any event, I'm a big Stanton fan (and collector!!) and have followed the Marlins since 2003. My favorite players at the time were Dontrelle and Cabrera, and I've continued to watch their games regularly on MLBtv. That said, I'm very skeptical of Loria's motives here. He is not a man to be trusted until he proves otherwise. I hope this is a step in the right direction though. They have a lot of young talent and I hope they spend some money to fill in the gaps.

(11-20-2014, 10:06 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Yeah, I wasn't poking at you. I've only had internet access through my phone (which has a slooowww) internet connection, so I think I got our wires crossed.

In any event, I'm a big Stanton fan (and collector!!) and have followed the Marlins since 2003. My favorite players at the time were Dontrelle and Cabrera, and I've continued to watch their games regularly on MLBtv. That said, I'm very skeptical of Loria's motives here. He is not a man to be trusted until he proves otherwise. I hope this is a step in the right direction though. They have a lot of young talent and I hope they spend some money to fill in the gaps.
You trading or selling any of those Stanton's? Also looking for some nice Yelich and Ozuna cards.
... Could you imagine if Stanton had Cabrera to teach him how to hit?

(11-20-2014, 11:06 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: You trading or selling any of those Stanton's? Also looking for some nice Yelich and Ozuna cards.
... Could you imagine if Stanton had Cabrera to teach him how to hit?
Are you looking for a particular Stanton card? (I have a lot) I'm not really looking to break up the collection at the moment, but if you had something in mind, I'd listen.

Also, if you happen to collect a lot of Stanton as well, I'd be interested in maybe doing a duplicate exchange. It has become so expensive to pick up low-end cards 1 or 2 at a time (plus shipping). So, if you had a bunch of my needs, I would try to make it worth your while and could probably fill some of yours as well.

I don't have much Yelich or Ozuna. Maybe a couple base autos of each. I'm in the middle of a home renovation, to be followed by a move in December, so most of my cards (aside from the Stantons) are more or less packed away.

As far as Stanton's career, I hope he takes things to the next level--like Cabrera--instead of becoming complacent. Stanton is a physical beast with all the tools to remain a force in the game for years to come. I'm rooting for him big time.

(11-20-2014, 10:06 PM)uvaspina Wrote: That said, I'm very skeptical of Loria's motives here. He is not a man to be trusted until he proves otherwise. I hope this is a step in the right direction though. They have a lot of young talent and I hope they spend some money to fill in the gaps.
Over the years, Loria has only proven himself a weasel and a turncoat. He's picked up some great talent and dumped them as soon as he got the Stadium up and running. I don't trust him, but just like you, I'm hopeful that this is a step in the right direction, too. Perhaps there are more great young talented players in development? Glad that Stanton is sticking around, just hope he has an injury-free career from this point forward.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.