`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Friday (Black November) wave 3 (pics, pics & more pics)

Black Friday (Black November) wave 3 (pics, pics & more pics)
So with this bunch, I decided to gamble with ITG 2014 ... Originally $159 marked down to $89 .... (Worth about $29) I loved 2011 ITG for some reason and hoped to get something decent. Now like all prospects, we really don't know who pans out and who's going to the HOF in 25 years .... But not the greatest box, and felt that it was way over priced.
[Image: null_zpsf2c3b693.jpg]
They did away with the gold and silver editions and in this set, no special inserts were found, but 6 cards ... Not the best sample size. Thought I did great when I first saw the Polanco card, but it was Jorge, not Greggory Sad
The Morneau RC chrome was nice. The Hunter Harvey card was probably the best of this bunch, IMO.

Then I also picked up 2 old past favorites of mine ... 2011 playoff contenders and 2008 Razor. In the past, they've been great boxes. This year, disappointed with Razor but happy with Contenders.
[Image: null_zps501ef8c9.jpg]
Best of this bunch would probably be Aaron Crow.

2011 Playoff Contenders. Was pretty happy pulling out a signed 'sweet spot' auto /99, just no info about Nicky Delmonico. Good? Or Not?
[Image: null_zps89e4f1fc.jpg]
But the best card from that box had to be ....
[Image: null_zpsa3f71d16.jpg]
Rated Rookie Trout!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Black Friday (Black November) wave 3 (pics, pics & more pics)
I've been a sucker for the 2008 Razor as well, and should be getting a box today (according to UPS tracking). They have definitely been hit or miss in the past, but at $25 a box for 10 autos it's hard to beat (especially with the chance to land a Buster Posey auto).
Have you gotten any of the TriStar Prospects Plus boxes? They seem to go on sale every Black Friday and have potential for some nice autos like Clayton Kershaw. I was going to get some this time, as the price was down to $15, but when I finally got everything ordered the price had increased to $20 and it just irked me enough to pass for now.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-13-2014, 11:03 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: So with this bunch, I decided to gamble with ITG 2014 ... Originally $159 marked down to $89 .... (Worth about $29) I loved 2011 ITG for some reason and hoped to get something decent. Now like all prospects, we really don't know who pans out and who's going to the HOF in 25 years .... But not the greatest box, and felt that it was way over priced.
[Image: null_zpsf2c3b693.jpg]
They did away with the gold and silver editions and in this set, no special inserts were found, but 6 cards ... Not the best sample size. Thought I did great when I first saw the Polanco card, but it was Jorge, not Greggory Sad
The Morneau RC chrome was nice. The Hunter Harvey card was probably the best of this bunch, IMO.

Then I also picked up 2 old past favorites of mine ... 2011 playoff contenders and 2008 Razor. In the past, they've been great boxes. This year, disappointed with Razor but happy with Contenders.
[Image: null_zps501ef8c9.jpg]
Best of this bunch would probably be Aaron Crow.

2011 Playoff Contenders. Was pretty happy pulling out a signed 'sweet spot' auto /99, just no info about Nicky Delmonico. Good? Or Not?
[Image: null_zps89e4f1fc.jpg]
But the best card from that box had to be ....
[Image: null_zpsa3f71d16.jpg]
Rated Rookie Trout!
Well, Doc, the good news is I happen to know somebody that would be willing to trade for that Jorge Polanco card ... in these parts Gregory is "the other" Polanco of minor league baseball Big Grin
Kepler

Swihart is supposed to be a very good prospect. Might have something long term there!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

(11-14-2014, 09:06 AM)djohn Wrote: I've been a sucker for the 2008 Razor as well, and should be getting a box today (according to UPS tracking). They have definitely been hit or miss in the past, but at $25 a box for 10 autos it's hard to beat (especially with the chance to land a Buster Posey auto).
Have you gotten any of the TriStar Prospects Plus boxes? They seem to go on sale every Black Friday and have potential for some nice autos like Clayton Kershaw. I was going to get some this time, as the price was down to $15, but when I finally got everything ordered the price had increased to $20 and it just irked me enough to pass for now.
2008 Razor really left me dry this time, but now I have another /25 auto of Bobby Bundy (Dylan Bundy's younger Bro?) for my growing Bundy collection Smile

I bought a TriStar blaster once from Target (I never see them there and was curious) and didn't really like them, nor did I dislike them .... They left me quite neutral. I guess if the price is cheap enough, I'd try a box ... Especially with the potential for a ClayShaw (Smile) auto!
(11-14-2014, 04:27 PM)demondukk Wrote: Swihart is supposed to be a very good prospect. Might have something long term there!
Thanks for the Swihart info, saw his name pop up in some card products, but didn't know if he had potential or if he was a dud.
(11-14-2014, 09:40 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Well, Doc, the good news is I happen to know somebody that would be willing to trade for that Jorge Polanco card ... in these parts Gregory is "the other" Polanco of minor league baseball Big Grin
That's away good news! Thanks, Jared. I'm assuming he's in the Twins farm system?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

He is. He signed the same winter as Kepler and Sano. Not a top prospect, but he is on the 40-man and made a short cameo this summer. I'd expect him to be a factor in 2016 or 2017.
Kepler