`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Does anybody else miss Collector's Edge?

Does anybody else miss Collector's Edge?
I just got a few really cheap lots for Favre on eBay over the past week or so, and one of them had a number of Collector's Edge inserts and base. Got me looking through the ones I have, and then looking at other ones on eBay, and I had forgotten the really cool designs that Edge had in the late 90's! The early 90's stuff was pretty cheap and lackluster, but 1995 had Excalibur Stone (and sword and stone, die cut, gold, silver, diamond) and Black Label, then there was the Boss Squad, Masters, T3, Fury.... Now that Panini will have the exclusive, I wish they would take a page from Edge's book and do some cards like those.

Here are a couple that I just got that I really like:

this lot had several cool ones:

Dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but those were some pretty cool looking designs and actually make a number of different sets nowadays look bad....

RE: Does anybody else miss Collector's Edge?
I'm with you. Some of the Edge products were pretty awesome. Way before "cracked ice" and "waves" they had all kinds of crazy prismatic patterns going on--circles, zig-zags, sparkles, etc. But they could also make a killer, clean card; '99 Supreme is a prime example.

That set was, and still is, one of my favorite sets. I remember this being the first legitimate release containing a Ricky Williams RC. People (myself included) lost their minds over this set. Sad to see it relegated to the bargain bin.

photo AKS01.jpg
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(11-06-2014, 10:03 PM)jephthah1 Wrote: I'm with you. Some of the Edge products were pretty awesome. Way before "cracked ice" and "waves" they had all kinds of crazy prismatic patterns going on--circles, zig-zags, sparkles, etc. But they could also make a killer, clean card; '99 Supreme is a prime example.

That set was, and still is, one of my favorite sets. I remember this being the first legitimate release containing a Ricky Williams RC. People (myself included) lost their minds over this set. Sad to see it relegated to the bargain bin.
Love those Two Minute Warnings!! Had a couple of the Edgerrins at one point.

CE had some nice stuff, but I've never been a fan of the product overall. I do tend to lean towards clean, simple designs so that plays into it as many of their inserts and/or parallels were really busy. I DO, however, like some of the Holofoils, etc., and some of the auto sets (all on-card autos, mind you) were really clean.

I have a whole bunch of these and still am looking for sealed boxes of 1999 and 2000. I am near completion of the 1999 Edge Master master set. I think I need that Farve Legend insert above. Went to the card show a few years ago and one vendor call them "junk boxes".
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/kollectornet/

Mainly collect Harry Douglas, Baltimore sports teams and Atlanta sports teams.

[Image: harry.jpg]

(11-07-2014, 12:04 AM)coltsfansince85 Wrote: Love those Two Minute Warnings!! Had a couple of the Edgerrins at one point.

CE had some nice stuff, but I've never been a fan of the product overall. I do tend to lean towards clean, simple designs so that plays into it as many of their inserts and/or parallels were really busy. I DO, however, like some of the Holofoils, etc., and some of the auto sets (all on-card autos, mind you) were really clean.
I agree that a lot of the sets were terrible, and some were overly busy, but something about some of these sets just make me wish that Panini or Topps would come out with something that pushes the boundaries like some of these did at the time. And, I don't mean Flawless (which is a foily NT), I mean like this:

For some reason, that is one of the coolest memorabilia cards IMO. Can you imagine that with a GU jersey instead of the ball? This one was from when the card companies had a lot of competition, and they needed to keep the designs fresh and interesting to get people to buy them.... Remove the diamond from this (which is just a gimmick, really), and isn't that ball card more visually appealing than this?:

I don't know, maybe it's just me...

(11-07-2014, 09:11 AM)bojesphob Wrote:
Collector's Edge led the way on this concept too. They did a combo player GU football card that had a diamond chip in it--1997 Collector's Edge Masters Playoff Game Ball Diamond.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

Not just collectors edge, a lot of 90s cards were sweet

(11-07-2014, 07:44 PM)jephthah1 Wrote: Collector's Edge led the way on this concept too. They did a combo player GU football card that had a diamond chip in it--1997 Collector's Edge Masters Playoff Game Ball Diamond.
Pinnacle was the first company to put diamonds in cards. They did it in zenith baseball, racing cards, and 1996 action packed.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(11-08-2014, 10:12 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: Pinnacle was the first company to put diamonds in cards. They did it in zenith baseball, racing cards, and 1996 action packed.
Oh wow! I didn't realize the Action Packed came out first. You're talking about the "Studs" insert set, right? It featured diamond chips in the earrings of players with pierced ears?

Didn't even know about the Zenith releases.

Yes, I miss them. Panini getting an exclusive contract will be the death knell of the hobby.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel