`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Massive Shift In How This Site Works

RE: Massive Shift In How This Site Works
(10-05-2014, 12:50 AM)uc7bearcat Wrote: I for one wouldn't want to use an idea like this. I like to have my cards in case I decide to go to a show or trade locally. I also like to have the option to throw cards on ebay whenever I feel like it.
+1. I follow where the OP is coming from and don't disagree, but this would only be useful to me on at the base card level. I do to much on a personal level and want/need my cards on hand.

Great articulated and thought out thread though.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(10-05-2014, 08:15 AM)uc7bearcat Wrote: Beckett needs to improve the functionality of the org, but I don't have a problem paying to use it. I honestly think it keeps some of the low ball scammers away because they are not willing / able to pay the fee to trade here.
No prob Paying for OPG/ORG ... i Think of it as a cover charge at a bar. Keeps out the riff-raff. Smile

I don't like the OP's idea of turning Beckett into COMC.
I don't trust Beckett to store & locate & ship cards.
They'd have to charge fees to pay for all the staff and storage space involved.
People don't work for free ... The cost would be shifted to us.
More people will leave, since so many have issues with Beckett in the first place.
Eventually, there will be 5-10 of us left. All good traders, but we wouldn't be able to afford throwing in extras and fun stuff if it had to be processed through Beckett first.

Here's my plan, that I stated once before, but perhaps not as clearly as I will now.
1) we all pay to have the OPG and ORG.
2) those funds are typically paid for by credit card, therefore Beckett has verified address and contact and credit card info for every single trading participant already in storage.
3) when a trade occurs, There is already a value calculator for BV of the trade.
4) So ... Before a trade is completed, the trade BV automatically sets up a temporary credit hold on that persons account for the BV on each side of the trade.
5) upon completion of the trade and feedback is given, the credit hold is removed.
6) if someone doesn't complete the deal, there's a fund back up. If someone is unhappy with the trade, returns are backed up by the funds on hold.

Of course, there can be limits and threshold to the deal... Maybe only on trades valued more than $100? Only 'funded' trades can be made with PO tracking and insurance?
It shouldn't really cost anything extra for Beckett, they set up a very safe haven for trading, they will attract more and more traders to the site, we get more deals without losing sleep and more people to initiate trades.
Sounds like a Win-Win-Win to me.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I will pass on the idea. I trade cards that are listed in my org on other forums too so if I ship those cards to another Beckett location how am I to trade on the other sites? Granted I get the OPG every month or every other month but only for pricing purposes as I don't know how to initiate a trade with someone else here lol. If they see someone they need or like then they contact me abut a trade. Nice idea though but wouldn't work for me.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

I'll pass, Beckett's fees for the Organize and Trading are worth it to me. This is of course only true when it works.
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

Sounds decent in theory but...

Anyone who has used Beckett can clearly tell that they are understaffed in a number of areas. I could never see them taking on an additional project like this just to appease users that trade on the message boards.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(10-05-2014, 09:12 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: No prob Paying for OPG/ORG ... i Think of it as a cover charge at a bar. Keeps out the riff-raff. Smile

I don't trust Beckett to store & locate & ship cards.
+1

One way to solve the "high" end trades. Have a middle man. I have belonged to trade sites before that if you're uncomfortable with a trade you can request a middle man. Both parties involved mail to this middle person, usually someone designated with an involvement sort of like a moderator. The middle man verifies both ends of the trade then re-mails them. Of course, this does cost extra when it comes to postage because you will have to send money to the middle guy in order for that person to re-mail. Just a thought. It seemed to work well at the other site.