`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got my orders. Moving to the St Louis area

RE: Got my orders. Moving to the St Louis area
(10-01-2014, 03:17 AM)animie67 Wrote: I got even though..... My brother was expecting me to drive to Little Italy after the game. Nope, went straight home afterwards (paybacks a ***** sometimes lol!!!) and yes, driving back was a pain but it was well worth it. Grew up on the south shore in West Islip in Suffolk and I know exactly where Stony Brook is at LOL!!!. Left in 86 and never looked back. Was stationed at Staten Island which was nice before they closed the base back in 93/94 and went to Manhattan a lot. Still remember looking out of my barracks windows at the Twin Towers. Still hard to believe they're gone. It's funny, I'm watching Blue Bloods here and my NY accent comes out when I watch it (at least that's what my wife says). Lost the accent after being stationed all over the States/Japan. People have a hard time believing that I'm from there when I talk. When that happens the NY attitude comes out
Lots of Islip guys went to 'The Brook'. Probably the best place to see concerts out east on Long Island.
Never knew there was a Staten Island base, but now that I think about it, NY Harbor was a huge strategic military outpost ... The Brooklyn Shipyards had to be protected during the big wars ... So the Staten Island base was probably there forever. There were Forts, bases and outposts all over Brooklyn, too. Interesting ...
Anyway, yeah the accent is a funny thing. I don't think I have my Brooklyn accent anymore, living in Florida for so long. When I'm visiting NY they say I sound 'southern' and down here in Florida they think 'NY' accent. I don't hear it either way. Smile

Hope you and the family have an easy trip back to the States and you all acclimate to US life with no problems. Bring back lots of Japanese Tanaka Rookie Cards with you! Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.