`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great New Swedish Piece for the Museum! Former NHL Starting Goaltender!

Great New Swedish Piece for the Museum! Former NHL Starting Goaltender!

And here we go, the very next addition to the museum. The previous one was of a Swede named Tommy Soderstrom, so I figured, what would make the circle more complete than another Swedish goalie and former teammate of Soderstrom. Today's player addition is Tommy Salo.

Born February 1, 1971 in Surhammar, Sweden, Tommy Salo was drafted 118th overall by the New York Islanders in 1993. He made his NHL debut on April 11, 1995, stopping 29 of 34 shots in a 5-2 defeat against Tampa Bay. Salo appeared in a total of six games at the ending of that season before appearing in an additional ten in 1995-96. Finally, in 1996-97, Salo took over the starting role for the team, appearing in 58 games while recording five shutouts. Salo held the starting position for the Isles until he was traded to the Edmonton Oilers in 1999 for Mats Lindgren and a draft pick. There, Salo established himself as an elite NHL talent, regularly leading the team into the playoffs while appearing in no less than 65 games in each of his first four full seasons with them. After an epic upset in the 2002 Olympics at the hands of Belarus, Salo struggled to regain his form as he put up continually weaker numbers in each of the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons before finally being traded away to Colorado in 2004. There, he finished his NHL career with a final five regular season games and a lone playoff appearance. From there, he played a few seasons in his native Sweden before retiring from hockey.

In his career, Salo appeared in 526 regular season games and recorded a 210-225-73 record with 37 shutouts, a 2.55GAA and a 0.905% save average. To go along with that, he appeared in 22 NHL playoff games, recording a 5-16 record with a 2.55GAA and a 0.909% save average.

The jersey you are viewing is a 2001-02 Edmonton Oilers White Set 1 jersey. It was used in a season in which he appeared in 69 games and in the season of his collapse at the hands of Belarus in the Olympics. Exact set dates I do not know, so I cannot say exactly how many games he wore this for, and it also doesn't help that the team occasionally alternated their colors for home and away at certain points. What I can say is that it was used from the start of the season, up until the end of November, possibly early December, for certain. Wear is substantial and is consistent with the use of a starting goaltender.

Front:

[Image: salofront1_zpsb63d4e7c.jpg]

Front right:

[Image: salofrontright2_zps144e92cd.jpg]

Front right chest with great team repair:

[Image: salofrontchest3_zps4a45811c.jpg]

Crest with nice puck mark:

[Image: salofrontcrest4_zps3302d5de.jpg]

Front left chest area:

[Image: salofrontleft5_zpsb583f65d.jpg]

Front left sleeve:

[Image: salofrontleft6_zpsc29d4d7e.jpg]

Rear:

[Image: salorear1_zps14073d18.jpg]

Rear left sleeve with lots of post transfer:

[Image: salorear2_zps50e3fcc1.jpg]

Rear left back with more paint transfer:

[Image: salorear3_zps41a4aa75.jpg]

Rear right shoulder logo with some paint transfer:

[Image: salorear4_zps660046f4.jpg]

Rear right sleeve with some epic puck marks:

[Image: salorear5_zps16a23881.jpg]

RE: Great New Swedish Piece for the Museum! Former NHL Starting Goaltender!
I still remember watching the Swe vs. Bel. game early in the morning at my parents house when I was younger, one of the most, if not THE most exciting Olympic hockey upset I have ever seen! That shot that almost took Salo's head off and went into the net was unbelievable!
[Image: Golies_zps1b8a9baa.jpg]