`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Which is better: Screw-In or Magnetic card holders?

RE: Which is better: Screw-In or Magnetic card holders?
Good magnetics have diamond-cut corners. This is very important for card preservation. Also, it's too easy to screw-in the others too far sometimes, and then it just looks ugly. Lastly, the magnetics come is all sorts of thicknesses, if you know where to look.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(09-06-2014, 03:01 PM)savagenate Wrote: Phinz, how do you keep them all clean?! lol
Canned Air!

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

Dang...gotta go through tons of it! lol!

(09-06-2014, 07:07 PM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: Canned Air!

I switched to magnetics from screw bc the magnetics have the diamond corners, and deep recessed pocket so the card lays better in the case. The screw cases seemed to not fit cards right and the corners where never clean 90 degrees. They'd get pinched and I'd have to fix them all the time. And I don't even handle them that much. I use ultra pro magnetics 35pt for normal cards and 135pt for most everything else. Occasional 75pt. I use pro mold 20pt magnetic for plates though, they don't slide around.

How do you determine PT size?
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!

Nothing wrong with the screw downs now, as far as sticking issues and the like. That was the old type....maybe 10 years since they have been made. All of them now have recesses.

Having said that, I don't like the screw downs. Extra hassle for no reason.

"How do you determine PT size?"

Try google. There is a page on another forum where many/most cards are listed with their stock size.

Not to sound like a smart ***** but if it fits it is the correct size….

I have one of each size put aside with the size written on the base as well as the lid with a sharpie….

after a while you can just tell with your eye.

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

After you do enough cards, you can pretty much judge the PT size. If there's any pressure at all when you close the card, then go up to next PT size until it fits comfortably.
[Image: FINAL%20BECKETT%20BANNER_zps7fydiu6h.png][/URL]
NAPOLEON KAUFMAN SUPER COLLECTOR
1177/1199 (98.2%) + 10/85 (11.8%) TRUE 1/1's = 1187/1284 (92.4%) TOTAL

ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY OR TRADE FOR KAUFMAN WANTS ANY RARES.

I used to use mags until I dropped my card at a show a few years back and the case flew open and damaged my card. I now only use screw downs and yes some of the above comments are correct the sizes are never correct and cards tend to slide around. But you can fix that! I take a penny sleeve and fold it in half and put it in the bottom half of the case and lay the card on top then screw it all together! All fits well and nothing moves. I then team bag the new holder and put it in its box for safe keeping!!! TEAM SCREW DOWN FOR ME!
~ \\ * Collecting Jeff George * // ~