`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
1997 Upper Deck Football "Game Dated"

1997 Upper Deck Football "Game Dated"
How do you tell the difference between the Game Dated SP card and the regular base card?

RE: 1997 Upper Deck Football "Game Dated"
(08-31-2014, 06:07 PM)fhsu2206 Wrote: How do you tell the difference between the Game Dated SP card and the regular base card?
The base cards are identical, the differencei is game dated cards are much thicker

(09-01-2014, 07:23 AM)jkings Wrote: The base cards are identical, the differencei is game dated cards are much thicker
also, the card has a silver foil front.

The rarer versions of the Game dated moments are foil etched cards. While limited in supply, the demand is pretty low on them. There was rumors that excess inventory was dumped in the market place of these foil etched game dated cards. They even ended up on the Home shopping networl for sale.

[Image: 97UpperDeckJumbo3_zps1fa2852a.jpg]
Jumbo

[Image: 97UpperDeck191.jpg]
Standard

[Image: 97UpperDeckGameDatedMomentFoils191.jpg]
Foil

Leave it to HT! haha, love it when you answer questions with Barry's Smile
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

This is another one of those parallels that everyone seems to confuse. The last 2 "game dated" ones I came across, were labeled incorrectly and were the base card. I guess it doesn't help that the base card actually says GAME DATED on it. You would think they would have called the parallel something different.

I pulled my Kaufman and HT is correct. It has a silver background much like the upper deck black diamond for that year.
[Image: FINAL%20BECKETT%20BANNER_zps7fydiu6h.png][/URL]
NAPOLEON KAUFMAN SUPER COLLECTOR
1177/1199 (98.2%) + 10/85 (11.8%) TRUE 1/1's = 1187/1284 (92.4%) TOTAL

ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY OR TRADE FOR KAUFMAN WANTS ANY RARES.

(09-02-2014, 06:33 AM)cgod26 Wrote: This is another one of those parallels that everyone seems to confuse. The last 2 "game dated" ones I came across, were labeled incorrectly and were the base card. I guess it doesn't help that the base card actually says GAME DATED on it. You would think they would have called the parallel something different.
It is called "Game Dated Moments Foil". The key is the inclusion of the word "FOIL". It would've been great if they used gold foil to distinguish these cards, so that they could be called "Game Dated Moments Gold Foil". These are definitely notoriously mislabeled as technically the base cards have foil on them. In fact this question seems to come up a couple times a year. The funny thing is that I have a PSA graded one of Barry Sanders that is labeled as the FOIL version but is just the base version.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-01-2014, 11:54 PM)foleylion08 Wrote: Leave it to HT! haha, love it when you answer questions with Barry's Smile
That usually means it's best I don't respond. Because I have drank too much at that point....

(09-02-2014, 06:33 AM)cgod26 Wrote: This is another one of those parallels that everyone seems to confuse. The last 2 "game dated" ones I came across, were labeled incorrectly and were the base card. I guess it doesn't help that the base card actually says GAME DATED on it. You would think they would have called the parallel something different.

I pulled my Kaufman and HT is correct. It has a silver background much like the upper deck black diamond for that year.
I know the foil version is tough to locate. I had a deal go bad on ebay once, and for a extra 15 dollars, the guy sent me the game dated foil version. Not bad! They do remind me alot of the dufex cards from 94 or 95.
(09-02-2014, 11:27 AM)djohn Wrote: It is called "Game Dated Moments Foil". The key is the inclusion of the word "FOIL". It would've been great if they used gold foil to distinguish these cards, so that they could be called "Game Dated Moments Gold Foil". These are definitely notoriously mislabeled as technically the base cards have foil on them. In fact this question seems to come up a couple times a year. The funny thing is that I have a PSA graded one of Barry Sanders that is labeled as the FOIL version but is just the base version.
I have seen several errors when it comes to PSA. I had a 98 Bowman Chrome Refractor Barry Sanders mis-marked as non refractor. I think whatever you send in is typed up on the paper to go as the heading of your card.

First, the GD foils are RARE... really freaking rare IMO. I've seen one Marino in 10 years... can't speak for the other players. I'm sure part of it is the fact a lot of people have them and don't realize it. HT's pics are great... just think black diamond and you'll have an idea of what to look for.
Second, PSA's "mechanical errors" are abundant and seriously annoying. I deal with them a LOT with the registry and it's very frustrating. You would think the "industry standard" in grading would know what the hell cards they're grading, but it's not the case. I have to send back roughly 100 cards a year, outline every detail in print and pretty much hold their hands the entire way. Never assume a graded card is actually what it says on the label, if you have doubts, double check.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

(09-04-2014, 05:01 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: First, the GD foils are RARE... really freaking rare IMO. I've seen one Marino in 10 years... can't speak for the other players. I'm sure part of it is the fact a lot of people have them and don't realize it. HT's pics are great... just think black diamond and you'll have an idea of what to look for.
Second, PSA's "mechanical errors" are abundant and seriously annoying. I deal with them a LOT with the registry and it's very frustrating. You would think the "industry standard" in grading would know what the hell cards they're grading, but it's not the case. I have to send back roughly 100 cards a year, outline every detail in print and pretty much hold their hands the entire way. Never assume a graded card is actually what it says on the label, if you have doubts, double check.
Here's a perfect example of this.
[Image: new1002_zps4a53f098.jpg]
The Brett Favre 1/1 should be labeled 1998 Pro Line DC3 Perfect Cut #XE4 Brett Favre. They have it labeled as a 1997 ScoreBoard.
[Image: FINAL%20BECKETT%20BANNER_zps7fydiu6h.png][/URL]
NAPOLEON KAUFMAN SUPER COLLECTOR
1177/1199 (98.2%) + 10/85 (11.8%) TRUE 1/1's = 1187/1284 (92.4%) TOTAL

ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY OR TRADE FOR KAUFMAN WANTS ANY RARES.