`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Thomas Topps 1993 Gold - But looks silver?

Frank Thomas Topps 1993 Gold - But looks silver?
Ok - so please forgive me if this seems like a dumb question. I'm just getting back into collecting and went through my Frank Thomas collection. I came across a pair of Topps Gold Frank Thomas from 1993. Once I got them in the light - one is silver and one is gold, despite that they both say Topps Gold. Was there silver cards in the Topps Gold line? Sounds dumb to be called Topps gold if they did, but I can't seem to remember and I can't seem to find anything about silver cards for that year/set.

Any help would be appreciated! I've attached a photo of the 2 cards side by side. They were both stored in the exact same location, in the same storage case.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Frank Thomas Topps 1993 Gold - But looks silver?
I would guess its just wearing off, you can clearly see in the picture the top right part of the foil is completely worn through and you can see his arm through it.
If you see anything you want in any of my break posts and you have any Frank Thomas cards you are willing to trade please let me know.

Thanks for your reply. Well, I would agree with you if I hadn't had witnessed how I pulled it out of the sleeve. The foil did pull off on the spot you see - but the foil was silver that was left behind (I'm looking at it now). Because like I said, they were both stored in the same place, same conditions, same sleeves, and it was silver before I removed it from the sleeve, which is what prompted me to pull it out for better inspection, unfortunately pulling that little spot off due to the plastic sticking to the card. And honestly - it's far more silver than the picture even justifies. And I have hundreds of Topps Gold cards - all of which are perfectly gold which also sat in the same place!

theres no silver variation. this is just a printing flaw

Jacoby, have you seen this on other cards? Thank you for your reply.

(08-31-2014, 09:42 AM)wwford Wrote: Jacoby, have you seen this on other cards? Thank you for your reply.
yes. it isnt entirely rare, because that came in an era of mass overproduction. probably just missed the gold foil process, or the gold didnt take during the foil process

this kind of printing flaw is looked at just as that - a flaw which detracts from value. you might might a thomas collector who collects oddballs and give you a dollar or 2 for it,but given the other flaws with the card, might be a tough sell