`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How am I the jerk?

How am I the jerk?
Twice in the past couple of months I've received unsolicited trade offers for bulk quantities of Edgerrin--base, inserts, and gu (everything but my immediate wants, really)--that didn't really interest me unless the deal was right. I feel like I've been pretty explicit that 1999 Edge cards are my primary goal, so I'm not going to be trading an Adrian Peterson/Roy Williams dual RC jsy for a fist full of overproduced low-mid end Edge.

After informing these traders that the cards they were after weren't ones that I would trade for the cards they wanted to send, they've felt the need to berate me for not accepting a deal that I didn't initiate in the first place.

Now, I've sent cards out for free to help guys finish sets, or just because... so it grinds my gears when these petulant members want to try to tell me what deals work for me- especially when I 'waste their time' on a trade I didn't initiate. That said, do most of you tend to accept an offer if both sides have cards the other wants, or do you pick and choose your deals- even if it will prevent the other side from completing their set? I kind of feel like it would be good karma to accept even if it's a trade I don't want to make, but sometimes the card has value to me (more than BV) and I want something that has more value to me in order to let go.

RE: How am I the jerk?
I try to walk that line. There have been a few members on here who have been very generous to me as I started up collecting, trading, etc. I try to pay it forward when I can, but because I am on a very limited budget much of the time, there are some cards where I would decline a trade as I'd want a card that I really need in exchange, since I may not have that firepower again for awhile.
I don't think anyone should be yelling at you though if they instigated the trade. If you aren't interested, it's not your fault that someone else used time to put a trade together. Not every trade gets accepted, and there are tons of potential reasons for it. I've had tons of trades declined, but I don't think I've ever yelled at someone for it, even if they were the ones to instigate them, or if they were just being difficult in my eyes lol.

I wouldn't take it personally. Some people are just like that. I look at it as such: A trade is something that has to be mutually agreed upon. If it's not, then you adjust accordingly and if the deal falls through then you move on. Not really sure why someone would get upset because a trade didn't work out, other than to be difficult for the sake of being difficult.

You have your collecting goals, and if the trade doesn't further those collecting goals why do the trade? I've held certain cards back from certain trades before because I wanted to trade them for specific things. If I've got something that's highly collectable and worth something, there are certain things I'd hold on to it for if I knew I could get them (for instance, a 2012 Jordy Nelson Finest Pulsar or Magic Relic!), and I would have no issues saying that I'd rather put those cards towards my goals.

Instead of trying to explain it, you could just cancel the trade and mark it as "cards not needed at this time". I've had it happen to me a few times, and I've done it a few times. No real explanation needed, and if they take it personally, that's on them not you.

I'm with you, Nate... I can't let my "higher end" stuff go and just hop on ebay and pick up something to replace it, I have to keep my goals in mind and sometimes have to calculate my moves.

bojes- I don't take it personally, I was just looking for some other perspectives thinking maybe I was being too rigid... turns out I'm just practical.

************************************************************************************

Ok, the guy has 'threatened' to post our trade convo in this thread- though I made no specific mention of him, and this was in reference to multiple traders over a couple of months.

Trade starts from the bottom. Member's name removed- if he wants to comment here, he's welcome.

coltsfansince85 | 08/26/2014 12:11 PM
Go for it- I tried to work something out and was polite while doing it. I didn't stomp my feet and pout because I wasn't getting my way.

*****80 | 08/26/2014 11:57 AM
I did not know you attachment to the card, maybe I should copy and paste all this on the forum you posted about this!

coltsfansince85 | 08/26/2014 11:15 AM
I was interested in trading... just not the Lacy... hence my removing it and sending the counter WITHOUT it, to which you countered and added it back. And I'm wasting your time? Please.

*******80 | 08/26/2014 10:57 AM
Are not most trades unsolicited at the beginning? Anyway, all you had to do was say not interested in trading at this time instead of all the other stuff 'bud'.

coltsfansince85 | 08/26/2014 9:19 AM
Ok then- I do apologize for your sending an unsolicited offer that didn't work for me, thus making you feel like you wasted your time. Best of luck, bud!

*******80 | 08/26/2014 9:16 AM
I tried to trade cards from your want for cards on your trade list but you have reasons for no go. A complete waste of my time. Why do you bother with your lists?

*******80 | 08/26/2014 8:55 AM
*******80 cancelled the trade with reason: Not interested in trading at this time

coltsfansince85 | 08/26/2014 8:50 AM
As I said, I'm not married to it- I'd trade it for an Edge I like better or to trade up toward a 1999 Edge need. Yes I want these cards, but they aren't high priority for me right now.

*******80 | 08/25/2014 11:52 PM
Then why is it on your trade board?

coltsfansince85 | 08/25/2014 9:50 PM
I could do the Marino for an equal BV of base ($.40-$2 cards). Really do appreciate you trying to help, and I wish I didn't care for the Lacy so I could help you in return.

coltsfansince85 | 08/25/2014 9:47 PM
I don't mean to be difficult, or offend. I take it the deal doesn't go without the Lacy, though?

coltsfansince85 | 08/25/2014 9:47 PM
Are there any other sets you're currently collecting? I'm partial to those SP variation RCs, always have been. I'm not married to it, but I don't really see anything I like more.

*******80 | 08/25/2014 3:28 PM
*******80 sent an offer

*******80 | 08/25/2014 3:28 PM
Those where on your want list but no problem, I was just trying to help you get them. I did not really need those cards except for future possible trades! The 2013 Playoff Lacy is for my set tho. Enjoy!

coltsfansince85 | 08/25/2014 2:37 PM
coltsfansince85 sent an offer

coltsfansince85 | 08/25/2014 2:37 PM
1999 Edgerrin cards are my primary goal, so I took off most of what I'd trade either only for one of those, or what I could use to trade up and make a move for a '99. Thanks for the offer!

*******80 | 08/25/2014 12:05 PM
*******80 sent an offer

"Then why is it on your trade board?"

Because you're willing to trade it if you want the other card more. It's really an easy answer to a stupid question that shouldn't have been asked.

Sucks you had to deal with unsolicited BS. Would you mind PM'ing the user's name so I can avoid them?

Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

I am very simple with my approach. If you have something I want more than what I am getting rid of, I will do it. If not, I won't. If you want to complain through comments/PM's, you should know I don't care and probably won't read them.

On a side note, it takes me a while to locate specific cards as well. So what I am getting in return has to also get me excited enough to dig out the cards I am trading and inspire me to package/ship them. But I have never and likely will never feel the need to apologize for what I do with my stuff. :-)

(08-26-2014, 04:13 PM)monsterx Wrote: "Then why is it on your trade board?"

Because you're willing to trade it if you want the other card more. It's really an easy answer to a stupid question that shouldn't have been asked.

Sucks you had to deal with unsolicited BS. Would you mind PM'ing the user's name so I can avoid them?
Yeah, I don't get the whole playground dealing approach. "I'm just trying to help you" (not the first to say that recently), when I've said I'm looking for 1999 primarily and my want list is in my signature. Don't want to come off as unapproachable, but it's not charity when you're asking for something in return- so don't package it like that. We're working out a deal, tell me what you want and let me choose from my wants. If I'm willing to walk away because I don't want to trade a card, and the other party genuinely wants to get me stuff on my list, they'd consider the offer I made to trade down- that's how I ended up with the Marino in the first place. I'm completely willing and psyched to trade for any Edge I need, so long as the deal is mutually agreeable and I feel I can trust the other party.

Haha! I like that, Joe. I agree; I don't feel the need to apologize, necessarily, but I was hoping to keep the trade alive... just couldn't come off the one card that was the apparent motivating factor. There was a $25 Marino in there I mentioned I'd be willing to trade down, but I think the frustration of not getting the Lacy brought on the cancellation.

My own opinion and nothing I'm pushing on to anyone here:
I'd suggest not to consider Karma here. You don't have to do stupid stuff or compromise yourself to get good Karma. Trades should just be about if both sides are happy. Nothing more or less. Too many people making their own bad Karma to worry about this kind of thing.
At the end of the day, shouldn't a trade be about which card/s you'd rather have anyway?
ID VIKESRULE on most other trade sites. Don't care about BV if the deal is right.
Cris Carter super collector and die hard Vikings guy!

footbal- I agree! A trade should just simply be a trade. Shouldn't worry about trade karma or "paying it foward". Most of the time it means nothing. I've been flexible on BV and have traded in another trader's favor a few times and then later say "hey, I hooked you up last time..." only to get a response of "yea but..."

I stick to open offers and go from there. If someone sends me something like this I will do the same, though, if I don't want to trade something I remove it from the trade. The comments were unnecessary since it wasn't your trade to begin with.
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics